Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - Apr 29, 2012 4:55 pm - Voted 10/10

This is the start of a cool page.

I thought this should be brought to your attention. Obviously some redundancy can be an issue, but if you keep the page focused on the area as a whole, I think it is a great addition to Summitpost. By the way, do you want any topo maps of the area?

scramblingbadger

scramblingbadger - Apr 29, 2012 10:01 pm - Hasn't voted

a redundancy?

I understand your concern, believe me. I have pondered this page for quite some time. As one who has worked to see that hiking and climbing information is shared in an orderly manner for western Nebraska, it seemed the only way to organize all the Wildcat Hills info in a constructive manner, was to set up a page for the area as a whole. Now, both major areas in western Nebraska each have a page to serve as a parent for specific rocks, canyons, or routes. Perhaps there is a better way to do this, but this is the best I could see that would do the job. I appreciate your concern on this and the integrity of SummitPost's reputation for quality information.

Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - May 2, 2012 12:54 am - Voted 10/10

Re: a redundancy?

I think it is great that you are developing the pages for Nebraska's panhandle (an area I find fascinating). I think an area page for the Wildcat Hills is very useful and it is pleasing to see it posted. I was only bringing that other page to your attention to see it attached (which you did), and to allow you, if necessary, to differentiate the highpoint page from the area page. That said, I hope you proceed and add more stuff for this area! Two other things. I attached a map you might find useful for the page. I can make one for Pine Ridge, or any other area, if you like. Second, where was the picture taken that you have on the front page of your Panhandle Trails web page?

scramblingbadger

scramblingbadger - May 3, 2012 10:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: a redundancy?

Thank you for attaching that great map! A similr map for Nebraska's Pine Ridge would be a terrific addition to that page. The photo on the home page of Panhandle Trails was taken from Highway 71 a few miles south of Crawford, Nebraska, looking north-northeast toward Giants Coffin Butte, Red Cloud Buttes, Saddle Rock, Lover's Leap Butte, and the east side of Fort Robinson in the foreground. Living in Crawford would be the ideal place for any Nebraskan who liked having lots of rugged public lands hiking close by.

Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - May 5, 2012 1:37 am - Voted 10/10

Re: a redundancy?

You now have a new map for the Pine Ridge. If you want maps for any of your other pages, feel free to ask. I enjoy making them. Would you say the PHT homepage image was taken somewhere around Smiley Canyon?

scramblingbadger

scramblingbadger - May 5, 2012 10:16 am - Hasn't voted

Re: a redundancy?

Thanks for the great addition! The PHT photo was taken almost due south of Crawford, where Highway 71 (and 2) descend into the White River valley.
Smiley Canyon is more to the west of Crawford. There is a Smiley Canyon Drive on the west side of Fort Robinson that branches off Highway 20. Many years ago,it was heavily forested, but major forest fires totally wiped out the vegetation. Historical accounts of the Pine Ridge say before settlement in the area, the forests were sparse, due to lightning-caused fires. Nature kept them thin. Organized fire departments allowed the forests to thicken. But, these thick forests tend to burn very hot when winds become a factor, and leave nothing in their wake. It seems to take a very long time for re-growth to ever occur in these old burn areas around here.
Hey, I am off to South Korea today for a wedding. My wife and I will not be back until after Memorial Day.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Nebraska's Wildcat Hills' main page