Nevado Ampato Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Humberto

Humberto - Nov 27, 2012 11:08 pm Date Climbed: Nov 20, 2012

Altitude Sickness BITES!!

Nice 2 day trip from Arequipa. My partner and our guide Eloy summitted while I waited just at the base of the final ridge. The penitentes were brutal!! Recommend being well acclimatized for this climb so that you don't suffer as much as I did.

rgg

rgg - May 26, 2011 5:10 pm Date Climbed: May 25, 2011

Avalanche danger!

On the 24th we drove from Arequipa to basecamp at somewhere between 5000 and 5100m. Early the next morning, we started our way up the eastern slopes, but around 5900m or so we were forced to turn back because of avalanche danger. Can you believe it? Avalanche danger on Ampato in May? Well, the past wet period has produced a whole lot more snow in the area than normal, and while that´s good for pictures, and made my other climbs so far much more enjoyable (I like snow and ice), this time the mountain didn´t allow us safe passage - so we went down.

Vic Hanson

Vic Hanson - Jul 25, 2008 8:29 pm Date Climbed: Jul 23, 2008

DNS Removed!  Sucess!

Made it to the summit on my second attempt, climbed with Tim. More snow, no wet feet, felt great!

nbasford

nbasford - Dec 30, 2007 10:53 pm

WOW

Climbed as intern with Cotahausi Adventures, he makes logistics simple!!

Vic Hanson

Vic Hanson - Dec 24, 2007 2:54 am Date Climbed: Dec 6, 2007

A Hard Day Hike

We drove from Arequipa on Wed. and set up camp at the basecamp at 16,540'. We left camp at 6:35 am on Thurs. I was too tired and turned back at the base of the summit plateau but Smiley and Nathan went on to summit at 2:30, even after climbing a false summit first. We returned to basecamp at 4:32 and then went down to the Refuge to sleep (14,680').

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Nevado Ampato' main page