Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 48.57570°N / 120.84034°W
Additional Information County: Skagit
Activities Activities: Mountaineering, Scrambling
Additional Information Elevation: 7230 ft / 2204 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
New Morning Peak from Easy Pass
New Morning Peak at sunset from Easy Pass
 
Easy Pass and New Morning Peak
New Morning Peak above Easy Pass
New Morning Peak is the rugged summit to the north of Easy Pass. From the Easy Pass Trail, it looms as a solitary sentinal on the north side of the pass, and rivals the grandeur of Graybeard to the south. Indeed, most of the peaks around Easy Pass are very spectacular, and New Morning affords great views of the entire Easy Pass area with peaks like Graybeard, Mt. Logan, Mesahchie Peak, Kitling, Black, and other huge mountains of the North Cascades. New Morning Peak is a fairly quick ascent from Easy Pass, but is likely not climbed that much. In fact, the first ascent of this releatively close peak was only in 1973. This is due to the fact that there is indeed exposure encountered on the ridge accessing the summit block, and on the summit block itself. For great views across the valley to Mount Hardy and Silverstar Mountain, and across Easy Pass to Graybeard and Black Peak, New Morning Peak is a worthy objective.

Getting There

 
On the Ridge to New Morning
At the top of the ridge heading to New Morning Peak
 
Climbing Grassy Slopes
Climbing the grassy slopes near Easy Pass
 
Summit Block of New Morning
Summit Block of New Morning Peak
 
Traversing New Morning Ridge
Traversing the ridge back from New Morning Peak with Mesahchie Peak in the right background
Drive the North Cascades Highway (SR-20) east from Burlington through the towns of Marblemount and Newhalem, and past the series of dams at Diablo. Continue past mile-marker 150 to the Easy Pass trailhead (elevation 3800 feet) and park here.

Cross Granite Creek on a very well-built log bridge, and then start climbing. The trail to Easy Pass is 3.5 miles long and gains 2,700 feet, but it is well-graded and a good trail. Approximate hiking time to Easy Pass(6500 feet) is about 2 hours. Easy Pass is a beautiful parkland with lovely larch trees and grassy meadows.

From Easy Pass, climb grassy slopes to the northwest, gaining 700 feet to about 7200 feet. From here, traverse on top of the ridge towards the summit block. In the Cascade Alpine Guide, Volume II, Fred Beckey makes the climb sound as easy a just a bump along the ridge. It is not nearly so trivial. The ridge starts out broad and easy, but narrows signficantly in to a knife ridge with exposure. The climbing is not especially difficult, but it is loose and dangerous. It is easiest to drop below the ridge on climber's right to avoid cliffs. This will take you to a reddish gully. The rock is most solid on the margins of the gully rather than the middle. The summit is only about 50 vertical feet above once you reach this point. Climb the gully on the margins, taking care with the loose rock.

Red Tape and Camping

 
Traversing to Kitling
Mesahchie Peak above New Morning Peak
 
Mesahchie Peak from near Easy Pass
Mesahchie Peak from grassy slopes
A Northwest Trailhead Parking Pass ($5/daily, $30/year) is required to park at the Easy Pass trailhead. You can also purchase an Interagency Pass ($80/year) which is good at any Forest Service trailhead, or for entry into any US National Park.

There is no camping allowed at the Easy Pass trailhead or at Easy Pass itself. Easy Pass is the boundary for North Cascades National Park. The only permissible camping in the area is in Fisher Creek Basin, about 1300 feet below and 2 miles from Easy Pass. The Park Service keeps a very tight rein on those wishing to camp in this area. Don't be surprised to find rangers lurking about who will give you a citation if you don't camp at the Fisher Creek camp and camp elsewhere in the area. You have been warned!

External Links

 
Kitling and Honeymoon Hump
Point 7690 from near New Morning Peak
 
New Morning Climbing Route
TOPO! Software Image
The North Cascades Highway is closed with the first major snowfall until the late spring. Normal operating dates are late April to early November. Be sure to check with the Washington Department of Transportation.

Also, webcams are available from the Washington State Department of Transportation at:
WSDOT Webcams

For camping or other information from the National Park, you can access the Park Service website:
North Cascades National Park

To contact the Ranger Station directly, write or call:
North Cascades National Park
7280 Ranger Station Road
Marblemount, WA 98267-9755
(360) 873-4590

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Fred Spicker

Fred Spicker - Sep 28, 2009 3:55 pm - Voted 10/10

First Ascent info

Apparent first ascent was 12 August 1973 Check here: John Roper's site

Snidely Whiplash

Snidely Whiplash - Sep 28, 2009 5:57 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: First Ascent info

Pretty remarkable that it wasn't done until 1973, 5 years after the road opened. It's pretty close to a very popular destination. Hats off to you for a solo ascent. It's hairy enough with someone else. Beckey's description makes it sound like a walk-up along the ridge, which it most certainly is not.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2