Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Redwic

Redwic - Jun 21, 2011 8:16 pm - Hasn't voted

This is a major undertaking...

The "North Cascades" is a major area of landmass. It has ten sub-ranges, and each of those sub-ranges have sub-ranges, and some of those probably have sub-ranges. There might be thousands of potential peaks and summits that fall into the "North Cascades" criteria. As such, I hope you try to make this page as user-friendly as possible. It would probably be best served as an overview of the entire area.

In example, perhaps link only to individual areas/regions located within the North Cascades, rather than every single peak. I can envision people using this page to leapfrog to different area/region pages, and then seek out individual peaks from those area/region pages. Most people might not want to scroll through (potentially) hundreds or thousands of peaks, whereas a specific area will limit the choices. Just a suggestion. Perhaps others will provide some input and suggestions, too.

Here is a link that I recommend, with a more accurate map of the North Cascades land area than what is currently shown on your SP page: http://www.peakbagger.com/range.aspx?rid=1250
Your current map does not include the area north of Mount Outram (BC). There is also a good description of the North Cascades area using that same link.

Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - Jun 21, 2011 8:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Redwic...

Exactly the reason I restricted my page to only the Glacier Peak Wilderness...although that's a big area too.

Josh,
Believe it or not I haven't actually been to the North Cascades National Park yet but I can offer some good information for your page. If done right this page could be as good as the Glacier National Park page but it will take a long time.
Let me know if you want some input or if you want me to add anything to the page.
Matt

Tangeman

Tangeman - Jun 21, 2011 10:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Redwic...

Well you should get to NCNP!! (Yes, I have been there, just not that recently)

We're definitely gonna take our time on this page. Josh got an awesome foundation somehow very quickly, and I added some history, the names thing, the Pasayten, and the intro today. We want to make this as good as possible.

Bill Reed

Bill Reed - Jun 21, 2011 9:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Big area to take on....

Glad to see it under way. Looks like you're off to a good start. I'm eager to see the end result.
Good Luck!!

Tangeman

Tangeman - Jun 21, 2011 10:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Big area to take on....

Thank you! We're taking our time for sure!

mvs

mvs - Jun 30, 2011 4:48 am - Voted 10/10

Looks great!

I love the big maps. Maybe a good model is like the Dolomites Area page, where it doesn't contain summits but just sub-areas. You could highlight important summits, but keep their ownership under sub-ranges.

Really nice...big effort...happy to see it!

Z-Man

Z-Man - Oct 25, 2011 12:07 am - Hasn't voted

Big area, good start

I'm in favor of using I-90 as the Southern border of the North Cascades. Lemah, Chimney Rock, Overcoat, Summit Chief, and Daniel, not to mention all of the Stuart Range, I think have a lot more in common with everything North and East of them than stuff to the South.

Geologically, the formations which make up what is theorized to be the exotic terrane which became the North Cascades begin just North of Rainier FWIW.

The Snoqualmie River watershed has the Southernmost glacially-carved valleys with big exposed batholiths, different than anything to the South of it, but similar to every valley to the North.

Regardless, nice work on beginning a new project, good luck with it.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'North Cascades' main page