North Face of the Mönch. The...

North Face of the Mönch. The...

North Face of the Mönch. The Nollen is the ice bulge on the right hand ridge.

July 1977 by Monica Spicker
Moni
on Jun 1, 2004 9:54 am
Image ID: 54827

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-6 of 6

Robin2009 - Nov 21, 2009 11:07 am - Hasn't voted

Spectacular

and inspiring. Nice photo!

Moni

Moni - Nov 21, 2009 11:34 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Spectacular

Thanks - looks very different today, however.

Robin2009 - Mar 19, 2010 4:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Tips?

Any tips on climbing the Monch, Jungfrau and Eiger (normal route), possible for a beginner with a good guide?

Moni

Moni - Mar 20, 2010 10:27 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Tips?

Yes, a beginner can do the normal route of all of these peaks with a guide. The Grindelwald guides are good. In the order of length and difficulty, I would put Mönch as easiest, then Jungfrau and then Eiger. If using a guide, be prepared for sticker shock. You will get more out of the climbs, however, if you have some experience with ice axe, crampons and general getting around on rough terrain on very breakable rock while still in crampons. One starts very high from the train for Mönch and Jungfrau - being in very good condition and acclimatized is a must. The regular route on the Eiger is very long with lots of loose rock, usually snow/ice covered near the summit.

Robin2009 - Jun 4, 2011 9:06 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Tips?

Thanks. Had successful summits on Monch and Jungfrau in summer 2010, leaving Eiger for another year. Weather was poor, meant views down Aletschglacier were not great, big shame but glad to make two peaks. back to Zermatt this year.

Moni

Moni - Jun 4, 2011 10:14 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Tips?

I know about the poor weather in 2010 - we were there and pretty much only did lower, smaller peaks. Glad you had success and wish you a good summer this year!

Viewing: 1-6 of 6