Northwest Arete Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
haishan

haishan - Sep 11, 2013 12:01 am - Hasn't voted

Which route?

I've titled this route page "Northwest Ridge", though all guidebooks refer to it at "Northwest Arete". After climbing the route and observing the neighboring arete to the left, I believe this page describes the NW Arete as described in Secor. However, based on Moynier's photo and route description ("exposed arete... involves traversing knife-edges and gendarmes"), I believe the left-hand route is what he refers to as NW Arete. So, preserving the "NW Arete" name for a page on that route.

Donno

Donno - Apr 15, 2015 8:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Route Name

Haishan, I reviewed Secor's description and a forum thread on this route and suggest you change the name to Northwest Arete. I believe this is the established name for this "classic" route.

The ridge right of the shallow gully is probably the "Northwest Arete" because:
- Secor states "It is easier to climb the chute left (northeast) of the arete." Indicating the route is on the right.
- Secor again states in describing the N. Face route that there is a "chute that is left of the northwest arete."
- bc44caesar downclimbed the ridge right of the chute and called it good quality class 4 and a classic
- asmrz climbed the ridge left of the chute and called it 5.6/5.7, not class 4
- I believe Moynier errs in saying the route is the rightmost of the two aretes that form the Chouinard-Sunwoo "narrow ice gully' route

Romain

Romain - Apr 22, 2015 4:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Route Name

Donno is right, this should be called the NW Arete. It is the classic arete.

haishan

haishan - May 31, 2015 3:53 pm - Hasn't voted

NW Arete

Hi folks,
Didn't mean to be a wrench in the cogs of SP governance... haven't been over here in a while. I agree it's pretty clear this is the NW Arete route listed in guidebooks, no qualms in fixing the page name as such. Cheers!

pcole8787

pcole8787 - May 16, 2016 5:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Still confused

Been reading about this issue for some time. Perhaps someone could tell me what route on the mountain this is?

http://esa-rol.com/content/gallery.php?AID=36

I climbed this version in June 2012 and am calling it the north ridge, but that may not be all that accurate as I didn't have a compass and the possibilities for variations seem endless.

Any feedback most welcom @ justmeotw@comcast.net

Donno

Donno - Jun 20, 2016 7:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Still confused

I believe you climbed the N. Face to the upper North Ridge.See photo I added.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Northwest Arete' main page