Nyle Walton, age 16, atop of...

Nyle Walton, age 16, atop of...

Nyle Walton, age 16, atop of the Grand Teton, July, 1950
Nyle Walton
on Aug 17, 2005 11:46 am
Image ID: 120950

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-11 of 11
Scott

Scott - Aug 17, 2005 2:57 pm - Voted 10/10

Older photo

Not that you are that old, but this photo could be considered "historic". I voted 4-stars because this is the oldest pic of the Grand Teton that has actually been taken by an SP member who was there. It is definately a "new perspective" of the mountain. I imagine in 1950, the Grand Teton was a much less popular climb than it is now.

rpc

rpc - Aug 17, 2005 5:35 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice sweater ;)

I'm joking!

Indeed - I too voted 4-stars given the date of the photo.

Nyle Walton

Nyle Walton - Sep 3, 2005 10:03 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Older photo

You're quite right. When my friend Ronald Davis and I climbed the Grand Teton, the Salt Lake Tribune considered it a real achievement and devoted an entire page of its Sunday magazine section to it. You might look in its files for my article, "Feet on the Teton," and get a perspective on how it was back then fifty-six years ago.

Twills

Twills - Mar 24, 2007 3:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Not only the sweater...

... but a button up white shirt! Was it starched as well, Nyle? You get style points! Wonderful shot, like all of yours...

-Jim

Nyle Walton

Nyle Walton - Mar 28, 2007 3:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Not only the sweater...

As you have shown appreciation for my pictures, I feel grateful to you for photographically documenting with Kersh-like portraits the doyens of American mountaineering.

Scott Wesemann

Scott Wesemann - Jan 10, 2008 3:37 pm - Voted 10/10

This is great!

Nyle, your pictures are incredible and I have enjoyed them a lot. This one is just fantastic. Thank you for sharing.

Nyle Walton

Nyle Walton - Jan 12, 2008 10:13 am - Hasn't voted

Re: This is great!

It pleases me very much when I get praise for pictures I took during two decades of mountain climbing. I see where we have common roots in the Wasatch Mountains. When I die I plan to be buried in Alpine, Utah, next to my parents and great grandparents who first settled there in the 1850s. My father was born there and grew up in American Fork. When I'm six feet under, my grave will have a wonderful backdrop stretching from Lone Peak to Mt. Timpanogos.

Nyle Walton

Nyle Walton - Jan 11, 2008 11:20 am - Hasn't voted

Climb14ers: Thank you for the compliment.

I see by your photographs that you have climbed some of the Wasatch peaks and mountain elsewhere in Utah and the West where I treaded in the early 1950s. I see that you live in American Fork where my father grew up in the first decades of the last century. My parents are buried in Alpine next to my great-grand-parents who originally settled there in the 1850s. There is a plot of ground there reserved for me. From there one can look up at a sweep of the Wasatch from Lone Peak to Timpanogos.

Scott Wesemann

Scott Wesemann - Jan 13, 2008 11:56 pm - Voted 10/10

Nyle: I really enjoyed

your summit logs. I really liked all of the details and it sounds like you had some great times and some great adventure.

Nyle Walton

Nyle Walton - Jun 19, 2011 1:49 pm - Hasn't voted

Lots of pictures

I wish that I had had digital photography back in the nineteen fifties when I was scrambling amongst the Wasatch. I was too poor to afford Kodachrome back then and life would have been simpler if I could have taken an unlimited number of pictures on a small chip.
It looks as though you have pretty well covered the peaks of northern Utah and elsewhere in the West.

Tomek Lodowy

Tomek Lodowy - Jan 11, 2012 12:15 pm - Voted 10/10

photomemories

1950 looks just great!

best greetings,

Tomek Lodowy

Viewing: 1-11 of 11