Obligatory summit shot with...

Obligatory summit shot with...

Obligatory summit shot with the observation deck in the background and some annoying tourists.
Brian Jenkins
on Oct 1, 2002 12:42 pm
Image ID: 12037

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Drazil

Drazil - Oct 2, 2002 11:21 am - Hasn't voted

Tourists!

You got some great photos Brian . Thanks for sharing... and I know exactly what you mean by the 'zoo on the summit'!

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Oct 2, 2002 12:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Tourists!

I actually rewrote the caption to this several times before settling on what I put. I was so irritated with people at the summit after I spent 3 and 1/2 hours climbing with only my buddy, also named Brian. We got to the top and there were tons of people and there was a long line at the summit marker with people standing around who drove up there or took the train who were smoking and littering and just being annoying. We finally got sick of it and pushed our way through them and bullied our way in front of people to get our photo and then find an out-of-the-way corner to have a snack and then get the hell out of there. That was the only downside of the day. The mountain itself was excellent and beautiful and loads of fun to hike up.



The summit though was quite different from what I expected after seeing some other's summit photos.



One kinda cool thing was that other climbers walked around looking annoyed like us up top and we all tapped trekking poles with each other saying "nice climb". Ah well, I guess the tourism pays for trail maintenance and good stuff like that. I shouldn't complain. It's a great place and everyone should get to enjoy it. :- )

Drazil

Drazil - Oct 3, 2002 5:51 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Tourists!

Agreed, without the revenue generated by the tourists on the mountain, the trails would probably suffer a little.



We experienced the same emotion from fellow hikers on the summit - so we all swapped cameras to get our photos taken, but still ended up with crowds in most of our photos.



Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Oct 3, 2002 2:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Tourists!

Too true, William! I guess I should have climbed it in sandals with dark socks and bermuda shorts with a white belt. (what a summitphoto THAT would have been) :- )

Drazil

Drazil - Oct 5, 2002 2:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Tourists!

LOL!! too funny ... you both drew quite the picture!

Liz :-]

GuitarWIzard

GuitarWIzard - Mar 8, 2003 7:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Tourists!

The summit though was quite different from what I expected after seeing some other's summit photos.



That would be winter :P....and believe it or not, it can still be somewhat "crowded" on a nice clear winter day, although not nearly the magnitude of the summertime. I have seen SOOOOOOO many dumb people up there, I couldn't begin to count. I've seen all kinds of weird sh*t even from hikers.....from a guy hiking up in shorts and a t-shirt in the winter tugging a plastic sled with a daypack on it and an unbrella to "shed" the falling snow, to people hiking uphill backwards (more humorous to watch than anything), to folks hiking up in a winter storm outfitted in the very best outdoor apparel from K-Mart. I love seeing people riding up the Cog.....some of those people couldn't buy a clue with all the money in the world. They just don't get it.....

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Mar 10, 2003 1:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Tourists!

Good grief, pulling a sled using an umbrella?? Hilarious. How did you keep from falling down laughing?



I kept thinking the whistle I was hearing was like a siren or something you sound off as you summit. I had no clue there was a damn train that went to the top. Nothing like Six Flags over New Hampshire.

marcminish

marcminish - Oct 3, 2002 2:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Cheating!

If you didn't get to the summit on foot... it's just plain CHEATING! You know, there is a tradition on Mt. Washington: when the cog railway goes by, drop your drawers and moon them!

Viewing: 1-8 of 8