Viewing: 1-2 of 2
rgg

rgg - Jan 19, 2011 7:08 am - Voted 10/10

Great read!

Even before I ever went to Scotland, the reputation of these tiny vampires had reached me. That was a really good thing, because although I've never experienced anything like what you're describing, I really don't like being bitten by mosquitos, sand flies, midges, or any other similar little critters. And for that reason, I visited Scotland last May.

Your experience of being swarmed by a small cloud of midges inside your tent reminds me of a time in New Zealand. I was in a back country hut, but somehow hundreds of sand flies found their way in as well. They must be distant cousins, if not genetically, then certainly by behavior. Like midges, they are tiny, hardly visible when flying, and they bite, but even one bite is already annoying. They also like woodlands and water, especially still. They too cannot keep up if you're moving and they cannot handle cold or wind. I spent a good time squatting them, before turning in! Mind you, these midges you are describing seem a lot more aggressive than the sand files I had to contend with. They would mostly crawl over the inside of the windows, attracted by the outside light, instead of all zooming in on me.

markhallam

markhallam - Jan 19, 2011 1:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great read!

Hello again Rob. Thanks for the comments. Yes - I too have experienced sandflies, having lived in New Zealand for 5 years. I always thought that individually sand-fly bites were worse than midge bites, but the midges make up for this by attacking in way higher numbers. Until my recent midgy experience I reckoned that sort of evened things out between them - but now feel maybe midges win overall in terms of sheer horribleness. Never known anything quite like it on this trip.
Sand-flies are not far behind though. I can remember some grim moments around Arthurs Pass & over on the west coast. One bite I do remember and resented a lot at the time, was in winter high up in the snow on a ski field, whilst being dragged up on an infamous NZ 'nut-cracker' drag lift - I got bitten by a sand-fly!!

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Of Vampires, Mountains & Men: Scottish Highlands 2010' main page