Old Climbings (An old way of climb)/3

Old Climbings (An old way of climb)/3

Page Type Page Type: Article
Activities Activities: Mountaineering

Old Training & Other Overview

Salut l'Hommo,

by Giancarlo Neyroz





What we propose in this article? Nothing but a small discussion not so much about climbing in general (but a little too), as a personal observation of its path towards the approach and practice with the mountain. It will be a little journey with shades sometimes funny, sometimes almost laughable, but it was his life in performing this discipline. Starting from the workout as it was in the sixties, what was the way to carry insurance on rock and ice, what equipment was available, at least to us, and what was the clothing and equipment available (always for us). It was our life, at least the way we live in the mountains and deal with it; certainly not only want not to forget, but also store it in the heart as something extraordinary. Valuable. The photos, relatively old, perhaps illustrate better than words, as I expose, also because they reflect real problem situations outside of fashion, the hype of success. What then disappears over time, like all human deceptive episodes. Certainly we must admit that, as in all sports, but this activity requires a commitment and a willingness to exercise and physical training and technique, because it brings into play not only the result (hypothesis of lower income), but above the life. Here it is not admitted mistakes. Not even once. Although the equipment has an essential function and, often, many misfortunes have occurred with the complicity of the shortage of the latter. In the mountains the conditions are often prohibitive, while in other cases the sudden changes of weather create situations certainly not pleasant. You should be prepared to answer and to do so you have to have experience, but above all you need in your backpack. Seem trivial considerations, cloying, discounted and even rhetorical rather reflect the real Reality as many tragedies Alpine testify accurately and, unfortunately, regular attendance. This is also true for the big climbs and climbers stronger; on the recent episode on the North Wall of Grandes Jorasses confirms widely. You may also have in mind to make a big climb in a day, enough to have adequate preparation and technique, but then if you have to deal with a possible delay is not supported by this equipment to be able to deal with the emergency then the story turns in tragedy. Inevitably, also for the fact that the rescue, as timely, can not always become operational.




All Old & Old All,

by Ilario Antonio Garzotto





Cosa ci proponiam in questo articolo? Nient'altro che una piccola disamina non tanto sull'alpinismo in generale (ma un pochino anche), quanto una personale constatazione del proprio percorso nei confronti dell'avvicinamento e nella pratica con la montagna. Sarà un piccolo viaggio con sfumature a volte simpatiche, a volte quasi da ridere, ma é stata la propria vita nello svolgere questa disciplina. Partendo da com'era l'allenamento negli anni Sessanta, a quale era il modo d'effettuare le assicurazioni sulla roccia ed in ghiaccio, di quali attrezzature si disponesse, almeno noi, e quale fossero il vestiario e l'equipaggiamento disponibili (sempre per noi). Era la nostra vita, almeno il nostro modo di vivere in montagna ed affrontarla; certamente non solo lo vogliamo non dimenticare, ma altresì lo conserviamo nel cuore come un qualcosa di straordinario. Di prezioso. Le foto, relativamente vecchie, forse illustrano meglio di tante parole, quanto espongo, anche perché riflettono reali situazioni problematiche al di fuori della moda, del clamore del successo. Che poi sparisce nel tempo, come tutti gl'ingannevoli umani episodi. Certamente bisogna però ammettere che, come in tutti gli sports, anche quest'attività richiede un impegno ed una disponibilità verso l'allenamento e la preparazione fisica e tecnica, anche perché non mette in gioco soltanto il risultato (ipotesi di minor conto) ma soprattutto la vita. Qui non é ammesso sbagliare. Neppure una sol volta. Anche l'equipaggiamento possiede una funzione essenziale e, spesso, molte disgrazie si son verificate con la complicità della carenza di quest'ultimo. In montagna spesso le condizioni sono proibitive, mentre in altri casi le improvvise mutazioni del tempo creano situazioni non certo piacevoli. Si dev'esser pronti alla risposta e per farlo bisogna aver esperienza, ma soprattutto il necessario dentro lo zaino. Sembrano considerazioni banali, stucchevoli, scontate ed anche retoriche, invece rispecchiano la reale Realtà come numerose tragedie alpine testimoniano con precisione e, purtroppo, ancora regolare frequenza. Questo vale anche per le grandi salite e per gli alpinisti più forti; il recente episodio sulla Nord delle Grandes Jorasses lo conferma ampiamente. Si può anche avere in mente di compiere una grande salita in giornata, basta avere preparazione e tecnica adeguate, ma se poi si devono fare i conti con un possibile ritardo, non suffragato da un equipaggiamento tale da potere affrontare l'emergenza, allora la storia si trasforma in tragedia. Inevitabilmente, anche per il fatto che i soccorsi, per quanto tempestivi, non sempre posson diventare operativi.


Old Training Techniques



After the discovery of the Rock Gym Chenaux (Pollein) during our explorations in the woods, made ​​by boys, we began to attend the same while at the same time, we began to climb the mountains. We remained a little amazed at those nails driven on the steep walls of this canyon that forms final part of the long walloon; the same originates at Mount Emilius, Arbolle comes down to, "jump" over the Comboé and from this, after the beautiful Waterfall Ponteilles reaches the Gorgias of Dard (meaning waterfall) to finally flow into the River Baltea. It was all our "playground" of a youth who, while our fathers were concerned to build house after the war, he allowed himself the luxury of three things: a soccer ball to play endless matches in the meadows near the (then there they were in abundance), explorations of the surrounding area and a dip in Dora, maybe when it was in its full. Money and there were not a few who had served our parents, with enormous sacrifices, to build the house. Thus was born the Fifties the country, above the floodplain expansion of the river, so that for little in the Flood of 1957 was not removed from the water that came rushing since it was not yet built the levee. And then upward to the hill, immediately behind the same with long and endless afternoons of exploration. Beautiful Youth! So gorge became more and more an interesting place. A trail crossed the Torrent Comboé, bore beyond the village and less than a quarter of an hour reached the entrance to the rocky canyon where high rocky walls containing it, after a swirling waterfall with a pond at the base. A hoof basal rock gave the first signs of "life" off twenty feet high and about as many were marked by the passage of people who had driven the iron pitons of about twenty centimetres. Were smooth, rusty and ascended vertically for about eight metres, they crossed with a diagonal to the left for about ten and finally went up on the rocky plates polished until below a large roof over forty meters; on the right another overhanging with a beak at the top and above this a plaque that was just beyond the vertical. They were equipped with pitons, while under the great roof on a ledge stood a sign made ​​with chalk: "Gym SMA", ie the Alpine Military School in Aosta. But we did not know this and looked as if it was a hieroglyphic inscription. The taproots and nails were a mystery even bigger. By dint of observing it became clear face. Before the taproots and then nails. The first was straight and by the sweat of the hands became slippery and dangerous. The latter remained incomprehensible. But become "masters" of the early became necessary to deal with the latter. How? Everyone said its all but in the end we came to the same conclusion, ie stick a finger in the eye and pull upward with force. It became a race to see who could go up to 4, 5 and to those who, with an outstanding effort, even 6; but then when the rock overhanging became necessary to go back; the same system and without a rope. But one day in the gym came a man who looked like a mountaineer: quietly settled her things, then extracted irons seemed strange that the large safety pins began to climb without rope, putting the same in the eyes of the nails and pulling upward by force of arms. Was small and very strong and in this way climbed for a couple of hours. To climb in "artificial" and was the Mountain Guide Angelo "Angelino" Bozzetti, but that day we did not know any of the two things. I watched amazed, and that's it. The mystery is revealed! What a disappointment when a few days later came other climbers. They used the small stairs to where the other gentleman had passed with the sheer force of arms. We deduced that they were poor, but at the same time, there was a suspicion that it had to be done. It was the other who was a "Monster". We were shocked and speechless when they carried an abseil from the roof of 40 meters: they watched fascinated and worried. No, they were scarce. They were true mountaineers. It was us who did not understand anything. Nothing, we also had to have those things: the pins were called carabiners, while the stairs not sold already built. The observed. We could, saving money, we build them with rope made ​​of hemp and wood steps. Ilario took him and realized what had committed, and also quite good. The rope instead had a price impossible. We gave up. We'd climbed exclusively with the small stairs. So we became masters of the plates and roof we climbed up to boredom. And boredom, together with the fact that nowadays we all become equal without distinction of personal skills, made ​​us realize that our game was a barren, almost stupid. To top it all away and only through his boots, for what little we had. Well, here the differences came out in a rather obvious: who was better and who is not and then, too, who was halfway. This was a really fun game, as it is for kids who love to compete. But the moment had arrived to come out and try something true, so Ilario, the Walter and my brother Dario who was fourteen years old, but climbed better than me, decided to go to climb the North Face of the "Becca" 850 metres high, not knowing where he went, no nails after a night snowfall and the hemp rope in a dozen meters, that Arturo's dad used to clean the chimney on the roof. Above our house, overlooking the grand canyon from which we watched all day and from 559 metres above sea level up in Summit (3142m). Realized the project by opening a new and direct, more to the left than that of the first climbers of the 1920, but without knowing what they were doing ... But, basically, the top of the workout consisted always in great walks all day long. Always starting to walk from the apartment is reached all the goals, bypassing lakes, hills and mountains.




Besides then the facts of life meant that gradually we moved away from "our gym" and called by other interests or commitments, even from ourselves. The group was divided more and more until it disappears, leaving only the tightest relations and common interests. However, now we were in the process of transferring what they have learned about the "real mountains" definitely prefer these with their wide open spaces rather than those nostalgic afternoons closed in the narrowing, which had, however, more than anything. In those Sixties training was more a casual fact that is not the result of a real programming; to the maximum when you wanted to do something more challenging it was going to make a little "refresher" of their skills and level of physical fitness: in general was more of a maintenance of physical efficiency, including through the development of other sports that do not a preparation aimed at a specific target. This was done for all and only the news that concerned some "Big" aroused quite a stir on the methodologies used, especially for the preparation of winter ascents. But not for everyone and for several reasons, not least the work, there were not many who could devote to this activity, and I remember that the same Bozzetti to prepare the first winter of the West Wall Aig. Noire will go to the gym for a week, and yes no. We saw him go by bike at 16h '10, after leaving the Cogne Steelworks, furiously pedaling to be able to exploit the lack of light now that winter gave him. Then maybe he went home to do, as he put it, the "pear tree", that is doing the vertical slept on the balcony on which to make the adaptation to cold.
We celebrated again on Easter Monday in 1969 with Giovanni De Paoli, Gianni Junod and Ilario in this gym, a little climbing and a little sip of the excellent "mulled wine"; but after the death of the latter two in the same year is not the most frequented. He had come within the purpose of going, or rather the idea bothered me and reluctantly. There was no longer any compelling reason to go there. Everything was gone almost as if time had everything going kidnapped and taken away. Very far from mind. In this way they passed eight long years, where life had called me to other commitments to study, work, family, and even other sports. The mountain had become a fact occasionally, usually on a Sunday and most of the warm season. More friends, more ideas, more ways. The training coincided with the excursion; the one carried the other and vice versa. You could start the season, after the winter, going to climb a wall directly, without training and without any problems, "tout d'emblais"; but age allowed this and more. There is no training or coach better than Mother Nature. With its natural and unstoppable growth rates. They were well past eight years, on Sunday in the Sunday trip to trip. It was enough and proceeded, because the next day you had to go to work, disposing of fatigue. Then the "Crevassino" and "Peppino" were not kind to the gym, but the foals "runners of Alp" until exhaustion; what interested them most were the great routes bypassing much as possible the number of peaks, hills and walloons too. The Camillo, aka Roby, but no. Featuring Herculean strength (he was former weightlifter and former runner with the bob) is very well suited to climbing. Initially, in the wild, in the time he had refined and I think that could make any climb, especially with a head rope better than me. It was a little lacking in strength for long journeys, but certainly not always appeared at the top of morning awakening, because it stagnate in clubs until times impossible. But then came the morning and always during the day earned her the loaf.

With Cam Hour of the Training:  I can t wait to leave!  1978
Old Preparations of Young People
On lower part of plate lateral right in 1978
Curtain VI° (Emilius s Future Gen ...) Dard s Plates 1978
Old Artificial & Free /3 Who lies and who works 1978


With him, also in the light of some of the objectives of winter ascents pre fixed, you could go back in the gym. In the gym, and it was the year 1977. So we started training very hard, even in the dark and, above all, carrying on their shoulders all it took, as if we were in the mountains. Among the various destinations were the first winter to the North Face of Emilius, the North-northeast ridge of the "Becca" and his North Wall (has not been rising even now) and more: We arranged not just one. The seasons were marked by massive snowfalls and already the approach became prohibitive, especially without skis. The poor snow conditions and the construction of Federigo Bivouac at Carrel Hill conceded to others what they had not granted to us. On the other hand when "inventing" on Saturday evening to hit the mark, always reaching the target: climbing the peaks of Mount Blanc in the day, from home to home. We assumed that the training, the good intentions and goals stated wore badly and, superstitiously, we abandoned them completely. On the other hand we obtained small satisfactions with the first winter on some of the surrounding peaks, little known but that required a significant commitment than other climbs with far wider reputation. Conclusion of the training that did no good and it was definitely much better to have a little more luck with the weather and conditions. With this philosophy we left him quite extravagant ...
Many years passed and on a rainy day I returned with my wife to visit "our" gym. Of large masonry cement, of the bridle to contain the water, were built in succession, while the sections of wall collapse had been specially made to retrieve the stone for the construction of the same. After the intervention of man before the great flood of 2000 (seven deaths in the Village of Chenaux, where nothing had ever happened before) to build the water inlet paving around the bottom of the valley after the waterfall and then deleting the brakes natural the flow of water in the coil between the large boulders (on which we to exercise the bouldering), this proposal is now "new news". But cubic meters on the verge of collapse at the base of the North Face of the Becca di Nona are many (there are over two million and a large underground lake) and these countermeasures will become useful and necessary? Or even if they lead to serious contraindications as happens whenever the man manipulates nature? It was even difficult to access, unless you switch between those "loopholes" I gave up trying to revisit that place once so fascinating and wild. In any case, a sense of reluctance took me a whole world past and seeing so many feelings disappear forever, almost evaporate with the clouds of the dismal rainy Sunday.
Now they were Ghosts of the Past ...

Punta del Dard Lower Walloon Winter Free Climb 1978
User Profile Image
Old Climbing/3 Chenaux  Free below great Cliff 1978
CHENAUX s on rocky plate up the cliff of 20 metres on 1978
Free Climbing in Winter Dard 1977



Dopo la scoperta della Palestra di Roccia di Chenaux (Pollein) durante le nostre esplorazioni nei boschi, effettuate da ragazzi, incominciammo a frequentare la medesima mentre, nello stesso tempo, incominciavamo a salire le montagne. Rimanevamo un pò stupiti di fronte a quei chiodi infissi sulle ripide pareti di questo canyon che costituisce la parte finale del lungo vallone; lo stesso si origina al Monte Emilius, scende ad Arbolle, "salta" sopra il Comboé e da questo, dopo la bella cascata di Ponteilles, raggiunge la Gorgia del Dard (che significa cascata) per infine sfociare nel Fiume Dora Baltea. Era tutto il nostro "terreno di gioco" d'una gioventù che, mentre i nostri padri si preoccupavan a costruir casa dopo la guerra, si concedeva il lusso di ben tre cose: un pallone da calcio per giocar partite interminabili nei prati vicini (allora ce n'erano in abbondanza), le esplorazioni del territorio circostante ed un bel bagno nella Dora, magari quando era nella sua piena. Soldi non ce ne avevamo e quei pochi che avevano i nostri genitori servivano, tramiti enormi sacrifici, a costruir casa. Così dagli anni Cinquanta nacque il paese, sopra la golena d'espansione del fiume, tanto che per poco nell'Alluvione del 1957 non fu cancellato dalle acque che uscivano impetuose non essendo stato ancor costruito l'argine. Ed allora sù per la collina, subito dietro il medesimo con lunghi ed interminabili pomeriggi d'esplorazioni. Bella Gioventù! Così la gorgia diventava sempre di più un luogo interessante. Un sentierino, attraversato il Torrente di Comboé, portava al di là del villaggio ed in meno di un quarto d'ora raggiungeva l'ingresso del canyon roccioso là dove alte pareti rocciose lo contenevano, dopo una vorticosa cascata con alla base un laghetto. Uno zoccolo basale di roccia dava i primi segnali di "vita": largo una ventina di metri ed alto circa altrettanti era segnato dal passaggio di persone che vi avevano infisso dei fittoni in ferro di circa venti centimetri. Eran lisci, arrugginiti e salivano in verticale per circa otto metri, traversavano con un diagonale a sinistra per circa dieci ed infine risalivano su delle placche rocciose levigate fin sotto d'un grande tetto d'oltre quaranta metri; sulla destra un altro strapiombo con in cima un rostro ed al di sopra di questo una placca che andava appena oltre la verticale. Eran attrezzati con chiodi, mentre sotto al grande tetto in una cengia campeggiava una scritta fatta con il gesso; "Palestra SMA", cioè della Scuola Militare Alpina di Aosta. Ma allora non lo sapevamo e guardavam questa iscrizione come se fosse un geroglifico. I fittoni ed i chiodi eran mistero ancor più grande. A forza d'osservarli divenne giocoforza affrontarli. Prima i fittoni e poi i chiodi. I primi eran lisci e con il sudore delle mani diventavan scivolosi e pericolosi. I secondi rimanevano incomprensibili. Ma diventati "padroni" dei primi divenne necessario provar coi secondi. Come? Ognun dicea la sua ma tutti alla fine arrivavamo alla medesima conclusione, ovvero infilar un dito nello occhiello e tirarsi sù di forza. Diventò 'na gara: chi riusciva a salire per 4, chi per 5 e, con uno sforzo eccezionale, anche 6; ma poi quando la roccia diventava strapiombante bisognava tornar indietro; stesso sistema e senza corda. Ma un giorno in palestra arrivò un signore che sembrava proprio un alpinista: in silenzio sistemò le sue cose, poi estratti dei ferri strani che sembravano delle grosse spille da balia incominciò a salire, senza corda, infilando le stesse negli occhielli dei chiodi e tirandosi sù con la forza delle braccia. Era piccolo e molto forte ed in questo modo scalò per un paio d'ore. Saliva in "artificiale" ed era la Guida Angelo "Angelino" Bozzetti, ma noi quel giorno non sapevamo nessuna delle due cose. Lo guardavamo meravigliati, e basta. Ecco svelato il mistero! Che delusione quando alcuni giorni appresso arrivarono altri alpinisti. Questi usavano delle scalette per salire, dove quell'altro signore era passato con la sola forza delle braccia. Ne deducemmo ch'eran scarsi ma, allo stesso tempo, ci venne il sospetto che così si doveva far. Era l'altro ch'era un "Mostro". Restammo allibiti e senza fiato quando effettuarono un corda doppia dal tetto di 40 metri: li osservavamo affascinati e preoccupati. No, non eran scarsi. Erano alpinisti veri. Eravam noi che non capivam un tubo. Niente, dovevamo aver anche noi quelle cose: gli spilloni si chiamavano moschettoni, mentre le scale non le vendevano già costruite. Le osservammo. Potevamo, risparmiando denari, costruircele anche noi con della corda in canapa e dei gradini in legno. Ilario si prese l'impegnò e realizzò quanto dovuto, ed anche abbastanza bene. La corda invece aveva un prezzo impossibile. Rinunciammo. Saremmo saliti solo con le scalette. Così diventammo padroni delle placche e dei tetti che salivamo fin alla noia. E proprio la noia, insieme alla constatazione che ormai eravamo diventati tutti uguali senza differenze di capacità personali, ci fece comprendere che il nostro era un gioco sterile, quasi stupido. Via tutto e sù solo tramite gli scarponi, per quel pò che s'aveva. Eh, qui le differenze venivan fuori alla grande: chi era più bravo e chi meno e poi, anche, chi era a metà strada. Quest'era veramente un gioco divertente, com'é pei ragazzi che aman gareggiar.



Però era sopraggiunto il momento d'uscir allo scoperto e di provare qualcosa di vero, così Ilario, il Walter e mio fratello Dario, che aveva quattordici anni, ma arrampicava meglio di me, decisero di andar scalare la Parete Nord della "Becca", alta 850 metri, senza saper dove si passasse, senza chiodi, dopo nevicata notturna e con la corda in canapa d'una dozzina di metri, che il papà di Arturo usava per pulire sul tetto il camino. Sopra casa nostra, dominante il gran canyon dal quale la guardavamo e tutto in giornata da 559 metri di altitudine fino in Cima (3142 m). Realizzaron il progetto aprendo una via nuova e diretta, più a sinistra di quella dei primi salitori del 1920, ma senza saper ciò che combinavan ... Ma, in fondo, il top dell'allenamento consisteva pur sempre in grandi camminate d'intere giornate.
Inoltre poi i fatti della vita facevano sì che progressivamente ci allontanassimo dalla "nostra palestra" e, richiamati da altri impegni od interessi, anche da noi stessi. Il gruppo si divideva sempre più fino a scomparire, restando soltanto dei rapporti più ristretti e con interessi comuni. Comunque ormai eravam nella fase di trasferire quanto appreso su delle "vere montagne" preferendo sicuramente queste con i loro grandi spazi aperti piuttosto che quei nostalgici pomeriggi chiusi in quel ristretto canyon, al quale dovevamo però più d'un qualcosa. In effetti in quegli anni Sessanta l'allenamento risultava più un fatto occasionale che non frutto di vera programmazione; al massimo quando si voleva compier qualcosa di più impegnativo s'andava ad effettuare un piccolo "ripasso" delle proprie abilità e del grado di forma fisica: in genere era più un mantenimento d'efficienza fisica, anche attraverso lo svolgimento d'altre discipline sportive, che non una preparazione mirata ad un obiettivo preciso. Questo avveniva per tutti e solo le notizie che riguardavan qualche "Grande" dell'alpinismo destavano un certo scalpore in merito alle metodologie usate, soprattutto per la preparazione a grandi salite invernali. Ma non per tutti e per diversi motivi, non ultimo il lavoro, non eran in molti quelli che potevano dedicarsi a questa attività a tempo pieno e ricordo che lo stesso Bozzetti per preparare la prima invernale alla Ovest della Noire sarà andato in palestra per una settimana, sì e no. Lo vedevam passar in bici alle 16h '10, dopo l'uscita dallo Stabilimento Cogne, furiosamente pedalando per poter sfruttar quell'oretta scarsa di luce che l'inverno gli concedeva ancora. Poi magari andava a casa a far, come diceva lui, il "pero", cioè facendo la verticale sul balcone sul quale dormiva per far l'adattamento al freddo.




Festeggiammo ancora il Lunedì dell’Angelo 1969 insieme a Giovanni De Paoli, Gianni Junod ed Ilario in questa palestra, un poco arrampicando ed un pò sorseggiando dell'ottimo “vin brulé”; ma dopo la morte di questi due ultimi, proprio nello stesso anno, non la frequentai più. Era venuto a meno lo scopo d'andar, anzi l’idea mi dava fastidio e riluttanza. Non v’era più alcun motivo valido per lì recarsi. Era tutto scomparso, quasi che il tempo passando avesse tutto rapito e portato lontano. Molto lontano dalla mente. In questo modo passarono otto lunghi anni, dove la vita mi aveva richiamato ad altri impegni di studio, di lavoro, di famiglia ed anche sportivi. La montagna era diventata un fatto occasionale, in genere di Domenica e maggiormente con la bella stagione. Altri amici, altre idee, altro modo di far. L'allenamento coincideva con l'escursione; l'uno portava all’altra e viceversa. Si poteva iniziar la stagione, dopo l’inverno, uscendo a scalar direttamente una parete. Senza allenamento e senza problemi, “tout d’emblais”; ma l’età consentiva questo e ben altro. Non esiste allenamento od allenatore migliore di Madre Natura. Con i suoi tassi di incremento di crescita naturali ed inarrestabili. Furon otto anni passati così, di Domenica in Domenica, di gita in gita. Bastava ed avanzava, poiché il giorno appresso si doveva andar lavorare, smaltendo la fatica. Poi il “Crevassino” ed il “Peppino” non eran certo tipi da palestra, bensì dei puledri “corridori dell’Alpe” fin all'esaurimento; quello che interessava loro eran le grandi traversate scavalcando il numero più possibile di cime, colli ed anche valloni. Il Camillo, alias Roby, invece no. Dotato di forza erculea (era ex pesista ed ex bobbista) s'adattava molto bene all’arrampicata. Inizialmente allo stato brado, nel tempo s'era affinato e penso che avrebbe potuto compier qualsiasi salita, soprattutto con un capo cordata più bravo di me. Era un poco carente nella resistenza ai lunghi tragitti, ma soprattutto non sempre si presentava al top del risveglio mattutino, causa lo stagnar nelle discoteche fino ad orari impossibili. Però poi il mattino arrivava sempre e durante il giorno la sua pagnotta la guadagnava. Con lui, anche alla luce di alcuni obiettivi di salite invernali pre fissate, si poteva tornare in palestra. In quella palestra, ed era l’anno 1977. Così iniziammo allenamenti alquanto duri, anche col buio e, soprattutto, portando sulle spalle tutto quel che occorreva, come se fossimo in montagna. Tra le varie mete v'eran le prime invernali alla Parete Nord dell'Emilius, la Cresta Nord-nordest della “Becca” e la sua Parete Nord (non è stata salita ancor ora) ed altro: non ne combinammo una sola giusta. Le stagioni eran segnate da nevicate enormi e già l’avvicinamento diventava proibitivo, soprattutto senza sci. Le condizioni di scarso innevamento e la costruzione del Bivacco Federigo al Colle Carrel concessero ad altri ciò che non avevan concesso a noi. Per contro quando “inventavamo” il Sabato sera sempre centravamo il bersaglio: scalando le cime del Bianco in giornata, da casa a casa. Ritenemmo che l’allenamento, i buoni propositi e mete prefissate portavan male e, superstiziosamente, li abbandonammo completamente. Per contro ottenevam piccole soddisfazioni con delle prime invernali su alcune cime del circondario, poco conosciute ma che richiedevan un impegno non indifferente rispetto ad altre salite con ben più larga nomea. Conclusione, l'allenamento non serviva a nulla ed era sicuramente molto meglio aver un pò più di fortuna col tempo e le condizioni. Con questa stravagante filosofia l'abbandonammo del tutto.
Passaron molti anni ed in una giornata piovosa ritornai con mia moglie a visitare la “nostra” palestra. Delle grandi murature in cemento, delle briglie per contener le acque, erano state costruite in successione, mentre dei tratti di parete erano stati appositamente fatti crollare per recuperare il pietrame per la costruzione delle medesime. Dopo l’intervento dell’uomo prima della grande alluvione del 2000 (sette i morti nel Villaggio di Chenaux, dove prima mai nulla era successo) per costruire la presa dell’acqua spianando tutto il fondo valle dopo la cascata e quindi eliminando i freni naturali dello scorrere delle acque in serpentina tra i grandi massi (sui quali noi esercitavamo il bouldering), adesso viene proposta questa “nuova novità”. Ma i metri cubi in procinto di collassare alla base della Parete Nord della Becca di Nona son molti (si parla di oltre due milioni e di un grande lago sotterraneo) e queste contromisure si renderanno utili e necessarie? O pur esse porteranno a gravi controindicazioni come succede ogni qual volta l’uomo manipola la Natura? Era persin difficile accedere, a meno di non passar tra quelle “feritoie”. Rinunciai a rivisitare quel posto, una volta così affascinante e selvaggio. In ogni caso un senso di riluttanza mi colse vedendo tutto un mondo trascorso e tante sensazioni sparir per sempre, quasi evaporar con le nuvole di quella lugubre domenica di pioggia.
Ormai eran Fantasmi del Passato ...


Old Traings an old way with  Free Traverse on slab 1978
Rappeling in the cliff 1966
Ancient Shelter & Arbole s Phantoms
<b><font color=red>Young Gianni</font> and <font color=red>Fire</b></font>
Old Climbings (An old way of climb) Lateral Step 1978


Old techniques Safety and Insurance




The way to ensure it is totally changed over time and from one insurance basically static has gradually moved to a more dynamic; a series of artificial means has allowed a more elastic response by subjecting the same to minor stressors better distributing the "loads". The old concept of security was going to be confused with that of insurance; the first must be related to the capacity and skills of personal and therefore subjective mountaineer, while the second depends on external factors, however, are still subject to the knowledge and the ability to use and use. With that in mind it is easy to note how in the past the insurance was linked almost to the "ability to not fall" and in the extreme case, if the event had occurred, the ability to resist tearing with a physical response personnel. A total nonsense and that do record an impressive number of accidents almost always fatal. Hurtling one, fell the entire party. Utopia to think otherwise, as the misfortunes that occurred unfortunately tell us so unforgiving. And when was the physical impossibility of retaining or companions , it was often the rope (imagine those ancient hemp rope) that broke as the book by Charles Gos "Alpine Tragedies" and the first great tragedy Alps, the Matterhorn 1865. But it took decades for the change of mentality, supported by new equipment, to understand that safety in the art of climbing was something completely different from what had insurance, so a factor of prevention and timely intervention, which should always follow the same climbing.




So a technical evolution, but perhaps of materials, and above all, psychological as to change the mentality of the climbers against objective of insurance, such as overtake the old concept of "security", understood as the capacity factor, technical and personal skills and therefore completely subjective.
Even the old way of proceeding simultaneously should be banned; In fact, if the progression in the ice, at least not on the slopes of excessive slope and without "verglass" and then with good snow and turned, still has meaning in rock climbing should not just exist, partly because often led to irreparable consequences becoming a lethal weapon in every sense. So it is always the concept of moving one at a time, while the supervision of others must always remain at the maximum concentration. The factors of unpredictability in the mountains are always somewhat accentuated and their dynamics are not pre warned by telegram or a postcard ...

Old Standing Start 1978
Climbing at beginning of Dard s Walloon
Old Climbings (An old way )/3 Hanging by a thread 1978
Old Climbings (An old climb) Lateral Traverse 1978
Old Climbings/3 Pulling the rope with his teeth 1978


Anche il modo d'assicurare è totalmente cambiato nel tempo e da una assicurazione in pratica statica si è passati progressivamente ad una sempre più dinamica; una serie di mezzi artificiali ha permesso una risposta sempre più elastica sottoponendo la medesima a stress minori distribuendo meglio i "carichi”: il vecchio concetto di sicurezza andava a confondersi con quello d'assicurazione; il primo dev'esser rapportato alle capacità ed all'abilità soggettive e quindi personali dello alpinista, mentre il secondo dipende da fattori esterni che comunque pur sempre sono assoggettati alle conoscenze ed alle capacità d'impiego ed utilizzo. Fatta questa premessa, risulta facile annotare come nei tempi passati l’assicurazione fosse legata quasi alla “capacità di non cadere” ed in estrema ipotesi, qualora l’evento si fosse verificato, alla capacità di resistere allo strappo con una risposta fisica personale. Un'assurdità totale e tale da fare registrare un impressionante numero di incidenti quasi sempre mortali. Precipitando uno, precipitava l’intera cordata. Utopia il pensare diversamente, come le disgrazie avvenute purtroppo ci raccontano in modo impietoso. E quando era l’impossibilità fisica di trattenere il o i compagni, spesso era la corda (immaginiamoci quelle antiche in corda di canapa) che si spezzava come dal libro di Charles Gos “Tragedie Alpine” e dalla prima grande tragedia alpina, quella del Cervino 1865. Ma furon necessari decenni per il cambio di mentalità, supportato da nuove attrezzature, per fare comprendere che la sicurezza nell’arte dell’arrampicata era cosa completamente diversa da quella che era l’assicurazione, quindi un fattore di preventività e di tempestività di intervento, che doveva sempre accompagnare l’arrampicata medesima.




Quindi un'evoluzione tecnica, di materiali ma forse, e soprattutto, psicologica tale da cambiare la mentalità degli alpinisti nei confronti dell'assicurazione oggettiva, tale da sopravvanzare il vecchio concetto della "sicurezza", intesa come fattori di capacità, tecnica ed abilità personali e quindi assolutamente soggettiva.
Anche il vecchio modo di procedere simultaneamente (cosiddetto "di conserva") deve essere messo al bando; infatti se nella progressione in ghiaccio, almeno su pendii di non eccessiva pendenza e privi di "verglass" e quindi con neve buona e trasformata, possiede ancora un significato nell'arrampicata in roccia non deve sussistere proprio, anche perchè spesso ha portato a conseguenze irreparabili diventando un'arma letale in tutti i sensi. Quindi vale sempre il concetto del muoversi uno alla volta, mentre la vigilanza degli altri deve rimanere sempre al massimo della concentrazione. I fattori di imprevedibilità in montagna sono sempre alquanto accentuati e le loro dinamiche non vengono preavvisate con telegramma oppure una cartolina ...


Old Climbings (An old way of climb)/3 Artificial 1978
Old Climbings (An old way of climb)/3 Almost Out 1978
MONTE EMILIUS
Rock Gym in the entrance of Dard s Walloon
Old Climbing/3 Exit Out on slab from a small cliff 1978

Old Tools of the Trade




What are the tools necessary to go to the mountains? Simple, in addition to the personal resources of each of us, a pair of shoes, or rather boots, and just wanting a nice and great stick. Can serve as support in anticipation of old age, but also to curb the descent down the slopes and also to probe the bushes so as not to step on some viper. So it once was, but it is also nowadays if you look at the real mountain professionals, ie the shepherds of high altitude. Later, but long after, they arrived the other. This was used to drive the cows to pasture and in the little free time that you left to go look for mushrooms or to transit from a high altitude pasture to look for other friends pastors. Maybe in another valley and always at high altitude. For this reason they were born the connecting paths, once very numerous, then disappeared along with the vegetation and now rediscovered by hikers. Even those with a stick but no more rough and wood, occasionally collected in the wood, but metal-rich artefizi: Extendable, can be shortened, with the tip, with the strap to your wrist, very light and dual number. As in Walking. After I got strange characters: the Mountaineers. These singular subjects, not to say extravagant, they were viewed with suspicion by the Good Shepherd. Where did they go and what they tried upwards into the mountains, the kingdom of devils and witches. There were no mushrooms to collect and even cows we wanted to go. Only the goats, but we know that those are crazy. And then looked up instead of down them to check where they put their feet. At first they were armed with a stick with an iron tip and a wrist strap, which later replaced it with an ax was a alpenstocks. The next evolution changed yet the tool shortening the handle and transforming the ax in two different areas: on the one hand a shovel and a long beak to the opposite. He was born ax , as we have learned to know us in the sixties and as it was supplied to the Italian Army. It just seemed like a nice pick mine! Then came the crampons, ropes, nails, hammers, carabiners, helmets and other newfangled percent, so that even children, mimicking the adults, had them even before you climb a mountain or to have laid hands on the rock.
But we do not, we started as Pastors ...

33 Emilius Standard Route  Three Capuchins  Crest 1972
<FONT COLOR=BLUE><B>THE GELATO LAKE  really FROZEN !</B></FONT>
Near the Chamolé s Lake and Testa Nera
<b><font color=green>ORTLES</FONT> and <font color=blue>Friends</b></font>
<b><font color=blue>MOUNT BLANC</FONT> july 16TH, <FONT COLOR=BLUE><I>1969</I></B></FONT>


Quali sono gli attrezzi necessari per andare in montagna? Semplice, oltre alle risorse personali di ognuno di noi, un paio di scarpe, o meglio di scarponi, e, proprio volendo, un bel bastone. Potrà servire come appoggio, anticipando la vecchiaia, ma anche per frenare nella discesa sui pendii innevati ed inoltre a sondare i cespugli onde non pestare qualche vipera. Così era una volta, ma così é anche oggigiorno se voi osservate i veri Professionisti della montagna, cioé i pastori di alta quota. Dopo, ma molto tempo dopo, sono arrivati anche gli altri. Questo veniva utilizzato per guidare la vacche al pascolo ed in quel poco ti tempo libero che rimaneva per andare a cercare i funghi o per transitare da un alpeggio di alta quota per andare a cercare altri amici pastori. Magari in un altro vallone e sempre in alta quota. Per questo motivo sono nati i sentieri di collegamento, una volta molto numerosi, poi spariti insieme alla vegetazione ed ora riscoperti dagli Escursionisti. Anche questi con un bastone ma non più rozzo e di legno, raccolto occasionalmente nel bosco, ma metallico e ricco di artefizi: allungabile, accorciabile, con il puntale, con il cinghietto per il polso, moto leggero ed in duplice numero. Come nel Walking. Dopo sono arrivati personaggi strani: gli Alpinisti. Questi soggetti singolari, per non dire stravaganti, erano guardati con diffidenza da parte del buon pastore. Dove andavano e cosa cercavano sù nelle montagne, regno dei diavoli e delle streghe. Lì non c'eran i funghi da raccogliere e neppure le vacche ci volevano andare. Solo le capre, ma si sa che quelle son pazze. E poi guardavano in alto invece che dabbasso per controllare dove mettessero i lor piedi. Dapprima eran muniti di bastone con un puntale in ferro ed un cinghietto pel polso, che in seguito sostituirono con un'ascia: era un alpenstock. L'evoluzione successiva modificava ancora l'attrezzo accorciando il manico e tramutando l'ascia in due diversi settori: da una parte una paletta ed all'opposta un lungo becco. Era nata la piccozza, così come abbiamo imparato a conoscerla noi negli anni Sessanta e com'era in dotazione all'Esercito Italiano. Sembrava proprio un bel piccone minerario! Poi vennero i ramponi, le corde, chiodi, martelli, moschettoni, elmetti ed altre cento diavolerie, tanto che anche i bambini, scimmiottando gli adulti, le possedevano ancora prima d'aver salito una montagna o di aver posato le mani sulla roccia.
Ma noi no, avevam iniziato proprio come i Pastori ...


At beginning of winter face
Emilius s in the SUMMIT and Surroundings EMOTIONS & SUGGESTIONS Climber APPRENTICE in  TRAINING
From Becca of Moncorvé to Gran Paradiso Route
Christian gets ready to the great Walls North Winter 1977/78
EIGER North Wand ?


Old Equipment




I'm not here to do the technical development of materials starting from the bag and hats and helmets to get to clothing to socks and leggings going from jackets, duvets, especially trousers gloves and even goggles are included; this is not the appropriate forum and shall carry out a simple hatch. Rather like to tell what has been the personal experience with respect to these factors. The same, however, have been fundamental in the history of mountaineering as and perhaps even more than the useful materials to progression, we only activity in high and very high proportion not to mention the winter ascents. Indeed without this evolution probably some ascents should be carried out even today, while, for and against, others almost certainly would have allowed the other was a long time ago. Starting from Everest in 1925, but also by the '800 Shipments of Duke Amedeo of Aosta or the Duke of Abruzzi in the first place. They were not lacking in courage, skill and resourcefulness, but only appropriate materials. Without going to the cylinders with oxygen fifties ...
In general, the changes have occurred with respect to these three main factors:
1)- Quality and strength of the material.
2)- Ability to protect the same with respect to external factors (usually compared to the cold and everything that is connected, but also with respect to dynamic factors such as landslides, avalanches or falling rocks).
3)- Weight: to bear weight with consequent improvement in the lightness.
Not to mention equipment suitable for the communication, upon receipt of the same, and last but not least the rescue, including helicopters.
An ocean to analyze and to make it a book would not be enough, as long as there is only a small part of an article. Typically primarily have benefited in their performances so-called big mountain, but the same advantages were then "handed out" even to the mass, as happens in all factors of human activity. It has gone by so old hat made ​​of felt and cloth, useful for protecting the head from the sun but also by the refraction of ice and snow, the little caps light today, while protecting the face by exogenous agents were assigned to creams and then to chemistry. The jackets were replaced in pure wool sweaters and jackets from first synthetic and water-repellent; old breeches disappeared after the war, while the protection of the arts has been entrusted to tissues not only wool but always dominated by the chemical mixed products, starting from gloves to get to the gaiters for snow. The old canvas backpacks and pear-shaped are a distant memory, but trovavate them in the barracks of the Alpine troops still in the Sixties. Then everything started to run, so that it is almost impossible to follow a constant evolution. It borders on an endless list that often goes for a walk with Fashion.
But we have always snubbed this "lady", thanks to the good fortune of being poor. A Youth without our money and therefore able to approach the mountain in a simple and natural; with clothing that you used on a daily basis, including shoes. Then with the information and knowledge we went to experience a little of everything that belonged to the past to come up to the present day, but never chase this lady. The harnesses are made to the horse, and how often we could see, even the donkeys ...

On the Old Discovery Atop frozen and suffering 1965
<FONT COLOR=GREEN><B>Emilius s</B></FONT> in SUM and S. <font color=red> EMO</font> & <font color=purple>SUGG </font> <font color=green><B>GARIN Peak </B><b>Sixties Fashion</b></font>
Punta Rossa of Emilius Central Summit by North Face 1965
Gianni Junod and...
Renato Faval with the alpine guides Adolfo Giulio Ourlaz  Dulo , Dino Fracasso ...


Non son qui a far l’evoluzione tecnica dei materiali partendo dallo zaino e dai cappelli ed elmetti per arrivare al vestiario fin a calzettoni e ghette passando da giacche, giacconi, duvets, calzoni soprattutto guanti e persin occhiali inclusi; non è questa la sede opportuna e ne effettuiamo un semplice tratteggio. Piuttosto piace raccontare quella che è stata la personale esperienza rispetto a questi fattori. Gli stessi son stati comunque basilari nella storia dell'alpinismo come e forse anche maggiormente rispetto ai materiali utili alla progressione, pensiamo soltanto all’attività in alta e elevatissima quota per non dir delle salite invernali. Anzi senza questa evoluzione probabilmente certe ascensioni dovrebbero esser realizzate ancor oggi, mentre, e per contro, altre quasi sicuramente altre avrebbero consentito il successo molto tempo innanzi. Partendo dall’Everest del 1925, ma anche dalle Spedizioni dello ‘800 del Duca Amedeo d'Aosta o Duca degli Abruzzi in primis. Non mancavano a costoro coraggio, capacità ed intraprendenza, bensì esclusivamente materiali adeguati. Senza arrivare alle bombole con ossigeno degli anni Cinquanta ...
In genere i cambiamenti son avvenuti rispetto a questi tre fattori principali:
1)- Qualità e resistenza del materiale.
2)- Capacità di protezione del medesimo rispetto a fattori esterni (in genere rispetto al freddo ed a tutto ciò che v'è connesso, ma anche rispetto a fattori dinamici quali slavine, valanghe o cadute di pietre).
3)- Peso da sopportarsi con conseguente miglioramento della leggerezza.
Per non parlar poi d'attrezzature atte alla comunicazione, al ricevimento della medesima e buon ultimo il soccorso alpino, elicotteri compreso.
Un oceano da analizzare e per farlo non sarebbe sufficiente un libro, mentre la nostra non risulta che una piccola parte d'un articolo. In genere primariamente si sono avvantaggiati nelle loro performances i cosiddetti big della montagna, ma gli stessi vantaggi son poi stati “elargiti” anche alla massa, come avvien in tutti i fattori della umana attività. S'è passati così dai vecchi copricapo in feltro ed in panno, utili per la protezione della testa dal sole ma anche dalla rifrazione del ghiaccio e della neve, ai berrettini leggeri d'oggi, mentre la protezione del volto dagli agenti esogeni veniva demandata a creme e quindi alla chimica. Le giacche in pura lana son state sostituite dapprima da maglioni poi da giacche sintetiche ed idrorepellenti; i vecchi pantaloni alla zuava sono scomparsi nel dopoguerra, mentre la protezione degli arti è stata affidata a tessuti non più solo in lana ma a prodotti frammisti sempre dominati dalla chimica, partendo dai guanti per arrivare alle ghette per la neve. I vecchi zaini in tela ed a forma di pera sono un lontano ricordo, ma li trovavate nelle caserme delle truppe alpine ancora negli anni Sessanta. Poi tutto s'è messo a correre, tanto che risulta quasi impossibile seguirne una costante evoluzione. Si sconfina in un elenco infinito che spesso va a spasso con la Moda.
Noi invece questa "signora" l'abbiamo sempre snobbata, grazie alla fortuna d'esser poveri. Una Gioventù la nostra senza soldi e quindi capace d'avvicinarsi alla montagna in modo semplice e naturale; con quel vestiario che utilizzavi quotidianamente, scarpe comprese. Poi con l’informazione e la conoscenza siamo andati a sperimentar un pò di tutto ciò che appartenesse al passato per giungere insin ai giorni nostri, ma senza mai inseguire sta signora. Le bardature si fanno ai cavalli e, come spesso abbiam potuto notar, pure agli asini …

Frozen Becca of Roisan
Emilius s in the SUMMIT and Surr. EMO & SUGGESTIONS  BLIZZARD & SNOWSTORM
User Profile Image in Summit Luseney s Becca
NONA s BECCA WINTER
By Bca of Roisan to Quota <i>2508m</i> or Bca de Blavy 1969



Comments

No comments posted yet.