Old platform

Old platform

Above the rock field where the trail ends and the ridge to the summit starts is an old platform surrounded by DANGER signs. There appeared to be an old siren of some sort that may have been for a warning station or weather site, I'm not sure. Augspurger Mountain across the Gorge.
Brian Jenkins
on Jan 27, 2008 10:38 pm
Image ID: 376201

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
OJ Loenneker

OJ Loenneker - Jul 25, 2009 4:02 am - Hasn't voted

not a siren

Actually according to a few sources in a few books I have lying around, that was a USGS instrument installation used to monitor land movement on the adjacent wind mountain. The DANGER signs where most likely to keep curious people away from the instruments.

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Jul 27, 2009 12:40 am - Hasn't voted

Re: not a siren

Cool, thanks for the info. What kind of books do you have that woud have that kind of info? Sounds like something I would be interested in.

OJ Loenneker

OJ Loenneker - Aug 30, 2009 4:25 am - Hasn't voted

Re: not a siren


Believe it or not, It's actually outlined in an older Sullivan guide, as well as some other older guide books to the area.

I verified it by going to a USGS website, that escapes my mind right now, that verified the information.
It's also outlined in the newest edition of Olson's Classic Gorge Climbs: and historic ascents book.

There is a ton of information on the gorge, you sometimes just have to dig deep...

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Aug 31, 2009 12:09 am - Hasn't voted

Re: not a siren

Ah, I just got Tim's Gorge book too! Thanks. I will have to ask him about that sometime. I just did a climb with him not long ago and I didn't even think to ask him about the Gorge stuff. Doh!

Brian

Viewing: 1-4 of 4