On the knife-edge ridge of...

On the knife-edge ridge of...

On the knife-edge ridge of the top of the Matterhorn (Mt Blanc can be glimpsed in the background). I took this photo of another mountaineer on Aug. 10, 2004, at a time when there was nobody else on the usually crowded summit area.
JanG
on Nov 9, 2004 12:05 am
Image ID: 77528

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-7 of 7
HeyItsBen

HeyItsBen - Nov 15, 2004 11:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Inspirational

Truly inspiring! Makes me wish I was in the mountains right now!

JanG

JanG - Nov 19, 2004 8:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Inspirational

Thank you for the nice thoughts. Suggestion: try Grand Teton, it is a great mountain (even in winter). We went there at the end of June when there was still snow on the mountain. It is an exhilarating experience to climb a very popular mountain just a couple of weeks before the crowds!



Lots of luck.

Jan

Nyle Walton

Nyle Walton - Nov 16, 2004 12:45 pm - Hasn't voted

You finally made it.

I too stood one this spot over 49 years ago when I was 21. It looks as though the weather conditions were similar in both your and my ascents with clouds obscuring everything but the higher summits. I read your accounts of climbing the Matterhorn and Mont Blanc and am impressed that you went to such lengths to become acclimated and prepare for the big climb. On both the Matterhorn and Mont Blanc I went directly to the mountain and climb it with little preparation. That's the difference between being in your twenties and in your late fifties. I am 71 now and can empathize with your determination and fortitude. You can find accounts of my ascents in the summit logs.

My best regards, nylekwalton@yahoo.com

JanG

JanG - Nov 19, 2004 8:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: You finally made it.

Thank you for the nice comments. In reading about your experiences, I realized that climbing in those days was cheaper and less crowded than it is today. Hopefully it will be some time before we are required (for popular mountains like the Matterhorn) to sign up for authorization more than a year ahead of the time one wishes to climb! Unfortunately that is already now the situation for Mt Whitney in California or Mt Rainier in Washington. In the latter case we were only "allowed" to climb with a guide if we joined a group and reservations were made usually one year ahead of time (at least during the busy summer months).

Nyle Walton

Nyle Walton - Feb 19, 2005 9:54 am - Hasn't voted

Re: You finally made it.

I understand the current problem. Fewer Americans climbed mountains back in 1955. Most people thought I was crazy. There is one good thing you and I have in common. In old age, we will always have the Matterhorn.

Rick B

Rick B - Nov 19, 2004 7:00 pm - Voted 10/10

Congratulations

Nice trip report and congratulations on your ascent! Now all you have to do is sign the summit log on SP and it's official ;-)

JanG

JanG - Nov 19, 2004 8:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Congratulations

Thank you for the reminder.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7