Viewing: 1-6 of 6
vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Nov 28, 2007 2:39 pm - Voted 10/10

Sweet memories

Put me in mind of similar weekends in my youth in Wales with Pete's Eats and the Vainol Arms standing in for the Glencoe equivalents.

To the "innocence and stupidity of youth" add "presumed immortality". Somehow we muddled through though.

Bit puzzled about the expression "wild camping". With you car right there?! I wouldn't think of camping as "wild" until the nearest human being was at least 2 dsys away never mind my vehicle. Obviously means something else in the UK.

A great read - thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Martin

johnloguk

johnloguk - Nov 28, 2007 6:31 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Sweet memories

Ha ha, yes "wild" camping probably should be called "free" camping, in that you didn't pay a fee to a warden. We were maybe 100m from the car, but to be fair lots of other campers would be backpacking, hitching or using public transport. The National Trust put a stop to it in the end because it was getting too popular at times. I'm sure some idiots who didn't understand camping etiquette probably hastened its demise though. I remember some fantastic New Years up there. Surreal games of bog football, played through a drunken haze from the night before, with paragliders dropping from the surrounding crags. And if conditions were good some great climbing too.

Boydie

Boydie - Nov 28, 2007 3:25 pm - Voted 10/10

Good account..

.. of your weekend in Glencoe. Thanks for sharing. Was there in September for the weekend (at the back of the Kingshouse) and the wind was strong enough to snap one of the poles on my tent in the early hours of the morning. Quick fix in the dark lasted til the morning fortunately. Still one of the best places in Scotland to be though.

Cheers, Stephen

johnloguk

johnloguk - Nov 28, 2007 6:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good account..

I hope to get up again over Christmas or New Year, it is a magical place, even if it does get very busy at times. You can soon get away from the hordes. Thanks for the kind words Boydie

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Dec 1, 2007 1:24 pm - Voted 10/10

blame it on the Campbells!

Ha ha, bad joke.

johnloguk

johnloguk - Dec 1, 2007 2:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: blame it on the Campbells!

and an old one!

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'One of Those Glen Coe Weekends!' main page