One-week trip around Castles Churches and Shrines & Others: a Summary Page

One-week trip around Castles Churches and Shrines & Others: a Summary Page

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 45.74039°N / 7.31658°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Nov 30, 0000
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter

Entire & Complete Overview




Thus we arrive at the end of our long journey that visited comprehensively the Aosta Valley looking for the origins and traces in places more or less famous. Going to look for in the midst of these high mountains a path of Civilization that the People have left behind them as if to defy the will of the same Eternity that inevitably with their rocks, glaciers, forests, lakes and rivers affected the way of life men themselves. Wider horizons by opening them or causing them to regress further down, where the Nature consented survival against the cold and bad weather. An opportunity that Men have collected, starting from the withdrawal of the great Glacier Balteo. First erecting their miserable homes and then cities, barns, irrigation brooks, arches, towers, castles, monuments and churches with slender belfries to challenge the spiers of mountains.




Pailleron Tower medieval barn built over the Roman Walls,

by Osw


Siamo così arrivati al termine del nostro lungo viaggio che ha visitato quasi l'intera Valle di Aosta cercandone le origini e le tracce in luoghi più o meno famosi.
Andando a ricercare in mezzo a queste alte montagne un percorso della Civiltà che i Popoli han lasciato alle spalle quasi a voler sfidare l'Eternità delle stesse che inevitabilmente con le loro rocce, ghiacciai, foreste, laghi e fiumi han condizionato il "modus vivendi" dei medesimi. Aprendo loro Orizzonti più vasti o facendoli regredire più in basso, là dove la Natura acconsentiva una sopravvivenza contro freddo ed intemperie. Un'occasione che gli Uomini han raccolto, iniziando dal ritiro del grande Ghiacciaio Balteo. Erigendo dapprima lor misere abitazioni e poi città, granai, ruscelli d'irrigazione, archi, torri, castelli, monumenti e chiese con slanciati campanili a sfidar perfino le guglie degli stessi monti.




Towards the deep Valleys and the high Mountains,

by livioz


But it is also a journey to the "Christianity". As evidenced by the many religious signs up ancient times met everywhere in every locality of the whole Valley of Aosta.

Low South Valley / C 2 - Brissogne-Primaz Church 2015
(Valgrisa ...) La Ravoire Chapel above Leverogne 2015
Low South Valley / C 2 - Fénis of 1330 Castle 2015
Low South Valley / C 2 - Fénis 1450 main Church 2015
Low South Valley / C 2 - Ussel of 1350 Castle 2015


Everywhere "Christianity Signals" and sometimes a Castle, by Osw 2015


Ma pur un viaggio verso la "Cristianità". Come dimostran i numerosissimi segnali religiosi sin dai tempi remoti incontrati dappertutto in ogni località dell'intera Val d'Aosta.

How to organize the various stages in a week or so




But now we see how to organize our tour coming from Italy (Turin, Milan, Genoa etc.) Or France (Tunnel or "Piccolo San Bernardo") or Switzerland (Grande). Indication broadly comes from scanning the pages already published, which, however, takes as its starting point the City of Aosta and then directed in all directions, but, for those coming from outside, the speech can be completely different depending on each of the three entry points in Aosta Valley. East Piedmont (from Turin), Liguria (by Genoa) or Lombardy (Milan), Switzerland from the North or France from the West. These origins involve choices other than the standards we made and followed. Let's see some tips:
A)- Arriving by Italy: should follow the pages C-1 and C-2 allows choosing the first two days available on the orographic and hydrographic right (South) or the opposite, or, even better, and alternately, the first half of each of these. By doing so you can visit the Valleys of the Lys or Gressoney and Champorcher in the first day and the Lys (towards Champoluc) and Valtournanche (up to the Breuil Cervinia) in the second, maybe stopping off at Verrès or to St. Vincent-Châtillon. The third stage may be the visit of the City of Aosta and surroundings by making the stop in the same or in the neighboring Municipality of Nus after a little tour in the Valley of St. Barthélemy like pages C1 and B-bis. Then proceed to Switzerland to the Gran San Bernardo and the return visit of Valpelline to return in Aosta making a stop in the same or nearby (St. Christophe, Sarre, Pollein, Charvensod, Aymavilles). From here we can continue in the day around the Mont Blanc visiting the Northern part of Valdigne (page D-1) with a stop in Courmayeur-Resort, Dolonne Hamlet or Pré St. Didier Commune and consecutive days of which we have (they still need at least three) match the Valleys La Thuile Valgrisenche (page D-2, Rhêmes and Valsavarenche and Cogne with the basin of Pila and surroundings (pages A and B), before returning to Piedmont with the Motorway A/7 from Aosta East, at Nus.




Various panels in the City indicate monuments most important,

by Osw


Vediamo come organizzare il nostro tour arrivando dall'Italia (Torino, Milano, Genova ecc.) o dalla Francia (Tunnel o Piccolo) o dalla Svizzera (Grande). Un'indicazione a grandi linee proviene dalla scansione delle pagine già pubblicata, la quale però tiene come punto di partenza la Città di Aosta per poi indirizzarsi in tutte le direzioni ma, per chi proviene da fuori, il discorso può essere completamente diverso a seconda di ognuno dei tre punti di ingresso in Val d'Aosta (Piemonte da Oriente, Svizzera da Settentrione o Francia da Occidente). Queste provenienze comportano scelte diverse da quella standard da noi effettuata e seguita. Vediamone qualche breve consiglio:
A)- Arrivando dall'Italia: conviene seguire le pagine C-1 e C-2 sciegliendo nelle prime due giornate a disposizione il lato orografico ed idrografico destro (Meridionale) o quello opposto oppure, ed ancora meglio alternandoli, la prima metà di ognuno di questi. Così facendo si possono visitare le Valli del Lys o Gressoney e di Champorcher nella prima giornata e quelle del Lys (Champoluc) e Valtournanche (Breuil Cervinia) nella seconda, magari facendo sosta a Verrès od a St.Vincent-Châtillon. La terza tappa può consistere nella visita della Città di Aosta e dintorni effettuando la sosta nella medesima o nel vicino Comune di Nus dopo un piccolo giro in Valle di St. Barthélemy come in pagine C1 e B-bis. Quindi procedere verso la Svizzera al Gran San Bernardo ed al ritorno visita della Valpelline per rientrare in Aosta effettuando la sosta nella medesima o dintorni (St. Christophe, Sarre, Pollein, Charvensod, Aymavilles). Da qui possiamo continuare in giornata verso il Monte Bianco visitando la parte Nord della Valdigne (pagina D-1) con sosta a Courmayeur, Dolonne o Pré St. Didier e nelle giornate successive delle quali disponiamo (ne servono ancora almeno tre) abbinare le Valli di La Thuile con quella di Valgrisenche (pagina D-2, Rhêmes con Valsavarenche e Cogne col Bacino di Pila e dintorni (pagine A e B), prima di rientrare in Piemonte con l'Autostrada da Aosta Est, presso Nus.




Arriving from Switzerland (Gr. St. Bernard) just before Aosta,

by Osw


B)- Arriving by Switzerland (Entremont Valley): in the summer through the Great St Bernard Pass and in the winter with the Tunnel that comes out just below St. Rhémy-en-Bosses follow the State Road n° 27 to the Municipalities of St. Oyen and Etroubles to Gignod Commune where a detour will take you to the Northeast to visit the Valpelline reaching the namesake and subsequent Commons of Oyace and Bionaz, at the foot of the Great Place Moulin Dam. Using a portion of the page B and the subsequent B-bis arrive in Aosta Town and here you stop spending maybe an extra day to visit her best with the Northern (Quart, St. Christophe, Sarre) and Southern (Aymavilles, Jovençan, Gressan, Charvensod e Pollein) surroundings (pages A and B-bis. From here you can choose in the following days to Common Courmayeur with Mont Blanc (pages D-1 and D-2) and France or towards Turin and the whole Piedmont with the above mentioned criteria on pages C-1 and C-2. A day that can be completed by going deeper, as on page B-bis, the day after the City, especially the inner part delimited by the Roman Walls of 23 BC, with the famous Arch of Augustus 25 BC just outside the Praetorian Doors.
With regard to the visit of the Middle and Lower Valley the choice of the route with the pages C-2 and C1 is similar to that of the point C to which we refer just below.

B)- Arrivando dalla Svizzera (Val d'Entremont): in estate attraverso il Colle del Gran San Bernardo ed in inverno con il Tunnel che esce appena al di sotto di St. Rhémy-en-Bosses su di un vasto piazzale seguite la Strada Statale n° 27 verso i Comuni di St. Oyen ed Etroubles fino a quello di Gignod, dove nei pressi del medesimo una deviazione vi conduce a Nordest per visitare la Valpelline raggiungendo l'omonimo Comune ed i successivi di Oyace e Bionaz, ai piedi della grande Diga di Place Moulin. Utilizzando una parte della pagina B e la successiva B-bis arrivate ad Aosta Città dove vi fermate magari spendendo una giornata in più per meglio visitarla con i dintorni Settentrionali di Quart, St. Christophe, Sarre e quelli Meridionali di, Aymavilles, Jovençan, Gressan, Charvensod e Pollein (pagine A e B-bis. Da qui potete nei giorni successivi scegliere verso la Cittadina di Courmayeur ed il Monte Bianco (pagine D-1 e D-2) e la Francia oppure verso Torino e l'intero Piemonte con i criteri già esposti alle pagine C-1 e C-2. Giornata che può essere completata visitando più a fondo, come da pagina B-bis, il giorno appresso la Città di Aosta, soprattutto quella parte più interna delimitata dalle Mura Romane del 23 a. C.. Per quanto concerne la visita della Media e Bassa Valle la scelta del percorso, con le pagine C-2 e C1 risulta similare a quella del punto C al quale rimandiamo appena sotto.

C)- Arriving by France (Savoy Region or Low Tarentaise Valley): finally we can enter in the Aosta Valley, passing by "Gaul" or coming from Savoy Eastern Region through the Mont Blanc Tunnel, the road that Caesar with his Legions did not have, or the Lower Tarentaise, at the beginning of the Valley of Isère, through the ancient transit through the Little Saint Bernard Pass, used by it and during the Centuries by a swarm of Armed (French, Austrian, Spanish, Russian and Hungarian, including Huns, but only open for about six months during the year. In the first case we arrive at Entrèves location, where part of the Cable Car of the Glaciers "Seventh Wonder of the World" to reach the Rifugio Torino, the Aiguille de Midi (3842m) and then go down to Chamonix-Resort with what could be the fourth input port. Otherwise by the "Piccolo" is running the entire Valley of La Thuile, reaching down near the Common of Pré Saint Didier, or bypassing the Colle San Carlo at Arpy, to an adjacent one of Morgex. A choice that involves the use of the page D-2 and in part D-1 and that marks the way to follow in the coming days. In this first day you can still get down to Leverogne (Arvier) and visit the Valgrisenche before falling in Arvier Aymavilles Villeneuve where to make the stop. From one of these staging points the next day we visit, going first to the Municipality of Introd (beautiful Castle and "Parc Animalier") the next two and always perpendicular to the course of Baltea Valleys Rhêmes and Savarenche, always using the page D-2. From here on out should always keep counterclockwise until Pont St. Martin and back, for which everything in the third day go up in Val de Cogne, this printed diagonally and reach the Common of Aymavilles, and we will go with the page B also in the Basin of Pila, maybe going up and going down from Gressan Charvensod. The journey can continue on the right bank of Baltea hydrographical and, crossing in succession the Municipalities of Pollein, St. Marcel, Fénis, Pontey (Castles of Fénis and Ussel), go over the other side, stopping at Châtillon, St. Vincent or Verrès. We have already covered half the "Envers", ie the least exposed to the sun, and from one of three locations in the fourth day and with the help of page C-2 reach before Bard (famous <i<Fortress that stopped Napoleon in 1800) and from the nearby town of Hône we go up to visit the Valley of Champorcher, it also diagonal to the Dora Baltea. A field day, as after the descent we will arrive at Pont St. Martin and from here in the page C-1 will climb the long Valley of Gressoney or Lys and even of the Monte Rosa, and then return to the same or, a little stretching of the path, reach Verrès. This is the starting point for the fifth day that, using the same page, we will trace the Ayas Valley in the morning and the adjacent Valtournanche afternoon arriving at the foot of the Matterhorn. The next day you can reach Nus and climb in the Valley of St. Barthélemy (Astronomical Observatory) and then, "tying" pages C-1 and B reach Aosta and continue for the St. Bernard and returning after visiting the Valpelline. In the last day with the pages B and D-2 along the more sunny North side or "Adret" to Arvier and from this reach Courmayeur to return to France via the Tunnel, because now the Piccolo San Bernardo we have already visited, while the Cablecar Glacier currently allows the crossing being closed for renovation.

C)- Dalla Francia (Savoia o Tarentaise in Val d'Isère): infine possiamo entrare in Valle di Aosta passando dalle "Gallie" od arrivando dalla Savoia tramite il Traforo del Monte Bianco, strada della quale Cesare con le sue Legioni non disponeva, oppure dalla Tarentaise, allo inizio della Valle dello Isère, per mezzo dello antico transito per mezzo del Colle del Piccolo San Bernardo, utilizzato dal medesimo e nel corso dei Secoli da un nugolo di Armate (francesi, austriache, spagnole, russe ed ungheresi, Unni compresi, ma aperto esclusivamente per circa sei mesi durante lo anno. Nel primo caso si giunge presso Entrèves, dove parte la Funivia dei Ghiacciai "Settima Meraviglia del Mondo" per raggiungere il Rifugio Torino, l'Aiguille de Midi (3842 m) e quindi scendere a Chamonix con quella che potrebbe costituire la quarta porta di ingresso. Altrimenti dal Piccolo si percorre l'intera Valle di La Thuile raggiungendo in discesa il vicino Comune di Pré St. Didier oppure, scavalcando il Colle San Carlo ad Arpy, a quello adiacente di Morgex. Una scelta che comporta l'uso della pagina D-2 ed in parte D-1 e che segna il percorso da seguire nei giorni a venire. In questa prima giornata si può ancora scendere a Leverogne (Arvier) e visitare anche la Valgrisenche per poi scendere ad Arvier, Villeneuve od Aymavilles per farne la sosta. Da uno di questi punti di sosta il giorno dopo possiamo visitare, passando dapprima per il Comune di Introd (splendido Castello e "Parc Animalier") le due successive e sempre perpendicolari verso il corso della Dora Baltea Valli di Rhêmes e Savarenche, sempre utilizzando la pagina D-2. Da qui in avanti conviene mantenere sempre il senso antiorario fino a Pont St. Martin e ritorno, per la quale cosa nel terzo giorno saliremo in Val di Cogne, questa disposta in diagonale e che raggiunge il Comune di Aymavilles, e con la pagina B andremo anche nella Conca di Pila, magari salendo da Gressan e scendendo verso Charvensod. Il viaggio può continuare sulla sponda idrografica destra della Baltea ed, attraversando in successione i comuni di Pollein, St. Marcel, Fénis, Pontey (Castelli di Fénis ed Ussel), ripassare sull'altra sponda fermandosi a Châtillon, St. Vincent oppure Verrès. Abbiamo già percorso metà dell'"Envers", ovvero la parte meno esposta al sole, e da una di queste tre località nella quarta giornata e con l'aiuto della pagina C-2 raggiungiamo dapprima Bard (famosa Fortezza che ha fermato nel 1800 Napoleone) e dal vicino Comune di Hône saliamo a visitare la Valle di Champorcher, anch'essa diagonale rispetto alla Dora Baltea. Una giornata campale, poichè dopo la discesa arriveremo a Pont St. Martin e da qui con la pagina C-1 risaliremo la lunga valle di Gressoney o del Lys ed anche del Monte Rosa, per poi ritornare al medesimo oppure, allungando di un pò il percorso, raggiungere Verrès. Questo é il punto di partenza per la quinta giornata che, sfruttando la medesima pagina, ci vedrà risalire la Val d'Ayas in mattinata e quella adiacente di Valtournanche nel pomeriggio arrivando ai piedi del Cervino. Il giorno successivo si può raggiungere Nus e salire in Valle di St. Barthélemy (Osservatorio Astronomico) e poi, "legando" le pagine C-1 e B raggiungere Aosta e proseguire verso il Gran San Bernardo e rientrare dopo avere visitato la Valpelline. Nell'ultimo giorno con le pagine B e D-2 si percorre il soleggiato lato Settentrionale o "Adret" sino ad Arvier e da questo raggiungere Courmayeur per rientrare in Francia tramite il Tunnel, poiché ormai il Piccolo l'abbiamo già visitato, mentre la Funivia dei Ghiacciai attualmente non permette la traversata essendo chiusa per lavori.




Cable Car of the Glaciers "Seventh Wonder of the World",

by pvangeenen

Already published or "Dejà Vu"

***


 


NOTEWORTY "READING ROOM" published in SUMMITPOST.org. to bring in My Trip Reports since October 2013 until November 2017:




More Old Pages since October 2013 until February 2015
A Journey into P.N.G.P. lasted half a Century, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Oct 26th, 2013.
Travel from all the Summits of "GRANPA", by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Oct 29th, 2013.
On the Trail of an old Trek of Exploration (1902) - First Part, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Jan 22th, 2014.
On the Old Discovery Trail since 1902 until 2000 But even us ... - Second Part, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Jan 27th, 2014.
On the trail ... Abbé Joseph-Marie Henry & Guide Grégoire (1902) to the present day - Third Part, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Jan 30th, 2014.
Aiguille J.J. Croux report of a trip "lightning", by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Nov 23th, 2014.
A Long Journey Military in the Eastern Alps (1968-69), by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Jan 06th, 2015.
Military Journey in Dolomites-Carnian-Julian '68 / A, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Feb 26th, 2015.
One-week trip around Castles Churches & Shrines of the Aosta Valley ... since May 2015 until December 2015
One-week trip around Castles Churches & Shrines of the Aosta Valley / A, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. May 15th, 2015.
One-week trip around Castles Churches and Shrines: Aosta & Surroundings / B, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. May 28th, 2015.
One-week trip around Castles Churches and Shrines: Aosta Town / B-bis, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Aug 03th, 2015.
One-week trip around Castles Churches and Shrines: Low Northern Valley / C-1, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Aug 27th, 2015.
One-week trip around Castles Churches and Shrines: Low Southern Valley / C-2, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Aug 27th, 2015.
One-week trip around Castles Churches and Shrines: High North Valley (Valdigne) / D-1, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Sep 19th, 2015.
One-week trip ... with a ride on the contrary (Salassians Via), by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Sep 29th, 2015.
One-week trip around Castles Churches and Shrines: High South Val. (Valgrisa/La Thuile) / D-2, by O. Cardellina; Edit. Oct 08th, 2015.
One-week trip around Castles Churches and Shrines: a Summary Page, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Oct 13th, 2015.
To each his Castle Mountain, by by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Oct 23th, 2015.
One-week trip around Castles Churches and Shrines: Surroundings / B-2 (St. Bernard/Valpelline), by O. Cardellina; Edit. Nov 15th, 2015.
One-week trip around Castles Churches and Shrines: Surroundings / B-1 (Southwestern Envers), by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Nov 17th, 2015 (*** Reworked Page of Page B Edit. May 28th, 2015).
Tour above & around four Commons, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Dec 04th, 2015.
One-week Walks & Excursions trip into the Cogne Valley, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Dec 23th, 2015.
In every Valley a Church a Castle & a Mountain ... since January 2016 until March 2016
In every Valley a Church a Castle & a Mountain (Valdigne) 1, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Jan 12th, 2016.
In every Valley a Church a Castle & a Mountain (Vens/Vetan/Verrogne) 2, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Jan 19th, 2016.
In every Valley a Church a Castle & a Mountain (Met-Buthier) 3, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Jan 30th, 2016.
In every Valley ... Rio Artanavaz (Arsy-Flassin-Citrin-Serena-Merdeux) 4, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Feb 10th, 2016.
Travel through Seven Towns, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Feb 13th, 2016.
In every Valley ... Torrents Buthier (Etroubles-St. Rhémy-en-Bosses-Ollomont-Valpelline) 5, by Osv. Cardellina; Edit. Mar 02th, 2016.
Visiting ... since January 2016 until March 2016
Visiting Cogne: a walk a hike & one climb ..., by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Feb 22th, 2016.
Visiting St. Nicolas & "Bois de la Tour": a walk a hike & one orienteering ..., by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Mar 07th, 2016.
Visiting Valpelline-Oyace-Bionaz & "Tour de la Tornalla": a walk a hike & one ascent, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Mar 16th, 2016.
Visiting Courmayeur-Mont Blanc & Surroundings, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Mar 26th, 2016.
Visiting Valtournanche-Breuil-Cervinia & Surroundings, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Apr 04th, 2016.
Visiting Lignan-St. Barthélemy & Surroundings, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Apr 11th, 2016.
Visiting the Southern Hill above the City of Aosta, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Apr 20th, 2016.
Visiting the Northern Hill above the City of Aosta, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Apr 27th, 2016.
Visiting Rhêmes St. Georges & Notre Dame into Gran Paradiso National Park, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. May 05th, 2016.
Visiting Valgrisenche, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. May 13th, 2016.
Visiting La Thuile & Little St. Bernard, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. May 21th, 2016.
Visiting Dégioz & Savaranche, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. June 04th, 2016.
Visiting Hône Pont-Bozet & Champorcher, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. July 07th, 2016.
Along the various streams into the aosta Valley... fluvial pages since July 2016 until November 2017
Along various Torrents towards the Dora Baltea (Northern Side), by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. July 17th, 2016.
Along Grand'Eyvia towards Dora Baltea, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Oct 23th, 2016.
Aosta Valley Courmayeur La Thuile Valgrisenche Rhêmes St. Georges Rhêmes Notre Dame Dégioz Valsavaranche Cogne Municipalities, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Dec 04th, 2016.
Valley of Aosta fluvial pages: Plan of the Work, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Dec 05th, 2016; last Edit. June 15th, 2020.
Where does the Ayasse down to the Dora Baltea, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Jan 02th, 2017.
Mont Blanc ... where the Dora Baltea born, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Feb 06th, 2017.
From Gran San Bernardo to Rio Artanavaz through Buthier des Bosses, Artanavaz & Menouve, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Mar 09th, 2017.
Savara the Stream of Gran Paradiso, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Apr 20th, 2017.
Valgrisenche Doire & Fond Torrent, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Jun 09th, 2017.
La Thuile & Verney Doires, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Aug 11th, 2017.
Rhêmes's Doire, by Osvaldo Cardellina; Edit. Nov 04th, 2017.



*******


Comments

No comments posted yet.