Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 45.72940°N / 7.32206°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Nov 30, 0000
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter

Clerical and Noble Overview




But if not an end, because there is at least a starting point we have during this trip that lasts a week exploring the valleys, villages, pastures and high alpages.
And, why not, even the most populated centers, including the City of Aosta. With its history "modern" which begins in 25 BC with the founding of the Roman "Augusta Praetoria Salassorum", over the ancient Bourg of Cordelia or Cordella, built in 1158 a. C. by Cordelo and then improved by Pico. The "Rome of the Alps" built by the Consuls of the Praetorians Marcus Valerius Messala and Aulus Taerentius Varro Murena already with walls of 23 BC, while the following year it was erected the "Arch of Augustus", just before the Eastern entrance of the "Praetorian Doors" of the town, in honor of the Emperor Gaius Octavian Caesar Augustus in order to celebrate the victory over warlike and indomitable people Celtic-Ligurian Salassian reducing it to slavery with 36,000 prisoners (says the Historian Strabo) and thus releasing the "Gauls Via" towards the "Alpes Graias et Poeninas". All beautiful vestiges still exist and that, along with the "Roman Theatre" and other monuments of that era adorn this small town. In addition there are many "Medieval Towers" scattered to the interior thereof, that, along with "Castles" of the district, are worth a visit because mark the pace of life of the same and of whole the Aoste Valley into the Centuries. A set of opportunities, which are often mixed with lines and colors of the surrounding mountains, such as to invite you to beautiful excursions in the Lower and Mid hillside surrounding or in a simple Tourist Walk to complete the distance traveled by car, or, if desired , entirely on foot.




Saint Grat Old Hermitage near Pila-Resort

by Osw


Però se non un fine, non esistendo, almeno un riferimento dobbiamo averlo durante questo viaggio che dura una settimana esplorando valli, villaggi, alpeggi.
E, perché no, anche i centri maggiormente abitati, compresa la Città di Aosta. Con la sua storia "moderna" che inizia nel 25 avanti Cristo con la fondazione romana di "Augusta Praetoria Salassorum", sopra l'antica Città di Cordelia o Cordella, costruita nel 1158 a. C. da Cordelo e poi migliorata da Pico. La "Roma delle Alpi costruita dai Consoli dei Pretoriani Marco Valerio Messala ed Aulo Terenzio Varrone Murena già con la cinta muraria del 23 a.C., mentre nello anno successivo veniva eretto l'"Arco di Augusto", appena prima delle "Porte Pretoriane" all'ingresso Orientale dell'urbe, in onore dell'Imperatore Caio Ottaviano Cesare Augusto, onde celebrare la vittoria sul bellicoso ed indomito popolo celto-ligure dei Salassi riducendolo in schiavitù con 36.000 prigionieri (racconta lo Storico Strabone) e così liberando la "Via delle Gallie" verso l'"Alpes Graias et Poeninas". Tutte splendide vestigia tuttora esistenti e che, insieme al "Teatro Romano" ed altri monumenti di quell'epoca abbelliscono questa piccola cittadina. Inoltre molte sono le "Torri Medioevali" sparse all'interno della medesima che, insieme ai "Castelli" del circondario, sono meritevoli di visita poiché scandiscono il ritmo di vita della stessa e di tutta la valle di Aosta nei Secoli. Un insieme di opportunità, che spesso si mescolano con le linee ed i colori delle montagne circostanti, tali da invitare a belle Escursioni nella Bassa e Media Collina circostante od a una semplice Passeggiata Turistica a completamento del percorso effettuato con l'auto, oppure, volendo, interamente a piedi.

Monte Emilius Group: Becca di Salè <i>3137m</i><br>and Petite Roise <i>3279m</i> seen from Fonteil
One-week trip around Churches Verrogne Eglise 2015
In the neighbourhood of Saint Nicolas...
Week trip around Churches Verrogne Bell Tower 2015
La Pointe de Salè


"Towers, Churches & Steeples ..."

by Maria Grazia Schiapparelli, SalVal & Osw


But it is also a journey to the "Christianity", which starts in Aosta Valley through the Evangelization that took place in Centuries III° and IV° and that despite the passage of the Goths in 410 AD and the Lombards after the fall of the Roman Empire in 476 AD, with the Burgundians and Charlemagne until 888 AD and the third Kingdom of Burgundy has left many traces of this. While the later Middle Ages, stands out in its traces with Towers and Castles. But the Valley also it offers the remains of the Neolithic with the Necropolis and the Dolmen Vollein (891m), above the little Town of Nus, and special "sitting" burials 5/6000 years ago found in Champagnole at Châtel d'Argent nearby Villeneuve Common. Short trips, almost walks, to reach the places where he often arrives by car but, if desired, offer an opportunity to make a short way through comfortable and marked trails, often inter-related, and therefore with the possibility of combining the itineraries stringing together a series of consecutive visits. Experience already carried out for many years, but where the primary objective was mountaineering and therefore very limited attention and their stops against this speech; greater attention developed in the last ten years and that resumed Sunday, May 10th with a decision to revisit almost completely what had previously been seen so fleeting. Starting from the City of Aosta for onward transit to the neighbors of Sarre, St. Pierre, St. Nicolas, Villeneuve, Aymavilles, Gressan, Jovençan and Charvensod Municipalities in a Tour which will give you progressively report. In addition to these nine municipalities, we will consider also more as many that make up the district of the Aosta Town. Starting from the East will have on the bank hydrographic right Baltea (Southern) also the Grand Brissogne and Pollein to complete the picture, as well as that of Cogne with its valley that we attach to this area; on the other side or northern ones we have instead those of Quart and St. Christophe, plus Roisan Gignod Valpelline, Doues and Saint Rhémy-en-Bosses, now already owned by the Valley of Gran San Bernardo but quite close to the city itself. The latter are the second and third stages of our "Tour" and then direct us to the next to the "High Valley or Valdigne" and "Low Valley". Also in the first area, in addition to the division in three tours to "Adret" (in local dialect seen as the more focused in the sun and then to the North of the course of the Dora Baltea and vice versa) and "Envers" it is added to the first, already divided in turn in Western and Eastern sectors the big "appendage" of Valley Gran San Bernardo to the North (Etroubles, Allein, Doues and Saint Rhémy-en-Bosses Municipalities) and Valpelline Northeast (before Roisan and Gignod Municipalities and, after, Valpelline, Oyace and Bionaz Communes). Although the visit of the last two valleys worth a full day in its own right, as we will propose in future work, where you will also have a short description with hatching of the peculiarities of Uses, Customs and Traditions most important. South or "Envers" instead it is added the adjacent and in parallel Valley of Cogne, which dates back by Aymavilles Common immediately behind and Valsavarenche with Rhêmes Valleys, all three inside National Park Gran Paradiso.




Sarriod de la Tour Sarre Castle with Emilius & Becca above Aosta

by Maria Grazia Schiapparelli


Ma pure un viaggio verso la "Cristianità", che in Valle di Aosta inizia con l'Evangelizzazione avvenuta nei Secoli III° e IV° e che, nonostante il passaggio dei Goti nel 410 d.C e dei Longobardi dopo la caduta dell'Impero Romano nel 476 d.C, con i Borgognoni e Carlo Magno fino al 888 d.C. ed il terzo Regno di Borgogna ha lasciato ampie tracce. Mentre il tardo Medio Evo risalta nelle sue vestigia con Torri e Castelli. Ma la Valle propone anche resti del Neolitico con la Necropoli e Dolmen di Vollein (891 m), sopra al Comune di Nus, e le particolari sepolture "sedute" di 5/6000 anni orsono ritrovate a Champagnole presso il Châtel d'Argent a Villeneuve. Piccole escursioni, quasi passeggiate, per raggiungere dei luoghi dove spesso s'arriva anche tramite l'auto ma che, volendo, offron occasione per effettuare una breve gita tramite comodi e segnalati sentieri, molto spesso tra di lor collegati e quindi con la possibilità di abbinare gli itinerari inanellando una serie di visite consecutive. Un'esperienza già effettuata da molti anni, dove però l'obiettivo primario era alpinistico e quindi limitava molto l'attenzioni e relative soste nei confronti di questo discorso; un'attenzione maggiore sviluppata negli ultimi dieci anni e ripresa domenica 10 Maggio con decisione di rivisitare in modo quasi completo ciò che era stato precedentemente visto in modo fuggevole. Partendo dal Comune di Aosta per poi transitare verso i vicini di Sarre, St. Pierre, St. Nicolas, Villeneuve, Aymavilles, Gressan, Jovençan e Charvensod in un Tour del quale vi daremo progressivamente rapporto. Oltre a questi nove Comuni, ne prenderemo in considerazione anche più di altrettanti costituenti il circondario della Città d'Aosta. Partendo da Oriente avremo sulla sponda idrografica destra della Dora Baltea (Sud) anche quelli di Grand Brissogne e Pollein per completare il quadro, nonché quello di Cogne con la sua Vallata che alleghiamo a quest'Area. Sul lato opposto o Settentrionale avremo invece quelli di Quart e Saint Christophe, oltre a Roisan, Gignod, Valpelline, Doues e Saint Rhémy-en-Bosses ormai già appartenti alla Valle del Gran San Bernardo, ma alquanto vicini alla città medesima. Questi ultimi costituiscono la seconda e la terza tappa del nostro "Tour", per poi indirizzarci alle successive verso l'"Alta o Valdigne" e la "Bassa Valle". Inoltre nella prima area, oltre alla divisione in tre diversi tours verso "Adret" (in dialetto locale intesa come parte maggiormente rivolta al sole e quindi a Settentrione del corso della Dora Baltea e viceversa) ed "Envers" si é allegato alla prima, già divisa a sua volta in settori Occidentali ed Orientali la grande "appendice" della Valle del Gran San Bernardo a Nord (Comuni di Etroubles, Allein, Doues e Saint Rhémy-en-Bosses) nonché della Valpelline a Nordest (Roisan, Gignod, Valpelline, Oyace e Bionaz). Anche se la visita di queste due ultime merita una giornata pienamente a sé stante, come proporremo in un lavoro futuro, nel quale si darà inoltre un breve tratteggio delle peculiarietà con descrizione degli Usi, Costumi e Tradizioni più importanti. A quella Meridionale o "Envers" si sono aggiunte le limitrofe e parallele Val di Cogne, che dal Comune di Aymavilles ne risale immediatamente alle spalle nonché Valsavarenche e Rhêmes, tutte e tre internamente al Parco Nazionale Gran Paradiso.




St. Pierre Savoy Castle with view at the beginning of Cogne Valley

by Osw

Two Laps & Stages for 12/13 Commons (First or Western "Adret")




Aymavilles Challant Castle from Saint Léger Leodegardo Church,

by Osw


Integrally this Area which includes 12/13 Commons, can be visited with a course of 2 days, noting that "Adret" means the area most exposed to the sun and vice versa. The return towards Aosta takes place along the orographic and hydrographic left of Dora Baltea, or, after crossing the same on bridge to the Aymavilles Municipality, on the opposite said "Envers" anticipating the stage of the following day but with the opposite route, ie from West Eastwards.
First day crossing through 4/5 Municipalities ("Western or of Adret" Area or Sarre, St. Pierre, St. Nicolas, Aymavilles and partially crossing Villeneuve Common):

in the first stage we can recommend to start from the City of Aosta in the West with Highway No. 26 towards Mont Blanc, but arrived at the Municipality of Sarre-Chesallet, abandon it and goes up the hill with the Regional Road that reaches above the "Road of the Salassians", that cuts across the same at an average altitude of 1,350 metres. Going up through many small villages scattered in the lower middle hill until you reach the junction of Callod 1198 metres, just before Ville sur Sarre (1242m; Church of San Pantaleone). After a short visit, you will return to the West and then Northwest reaching the "Pic Nic Area" next to the Torrent de Clusellaz and in the midst of the "du Ruet" and at the foot of the great landslide from Becca France on July 6th, 1564. Here behove do a stop, especially if you have made the ascent on foot with the path n° 8 going from Village Vareille (1062m; Church of San Pietro "Our Lady of the Angels"; 1h'00 starting from Sarre-Rovine (750m; Church S.S. Grato and Giovanni). From this point it crosses the road with asphalt on the Torrent de Clusellaz and through two windings road followed by a long diagonal to the South-southwest will reach the Village Bellun (1362m; Church of St. James and Margaret; 0h'30; or by car). A variant consists in, from Ville sur Sarre, and then continue towards the Northeast and West, passing by the Villages of Moulin, Mondache, Salet and Chavalançon, reach Thôra or New Thouraz (1652m; Church of St. Teodulo; 0h'45, with trail n° A/8B/9A8, or by car). Returning to Bellun, a long diagonal decisively to the West leads to small Villages Homené Dessous and Dessus (1493m; Church of Santa Margherita, "les Ecureils Farm Holidays"), where it comes from another road from St. Pierre-Château (Savoy Castle) at common passing by Villages of la Croix (803m; "Farm Holidays Plein Soleil"), Etavel (803m; "Church of Addolorata or Grieved"), Bercher (*** here also from Sarre with a diagonal connection to the West), Praulin, Tower, Babelon, Orléans with the above former Church of S.S. Anselme and Clemente. Two trails n° 10A/10C respectively come from Villages Praulin (834 m) and further West from Charrère (802m; 1h'15/1h'30 for both). From Homené, leaving top a short detour to the Village Combelin (1586m; fountain) at the Southern foot of Becca France, continue on Northwest with the Regional Road or by the trail n° 10AC (0h'20) reaching Village of Verrogne (1595m; with Bell Tower Church of San Teodulo and "Farmhouse La Cheminée") at the entrance of the homonym valley. Continuing with the asphalt road and passing over the Torrent de Méod, you reach the Village, of the same name, Damon (1520m; Church of St. Bernard) and subsequent Dèsott, Petit and Grand Sarriod (1,445m; small Chapel) and Gerbore (1633m; Church of San Giacomo); returning to the Northeast you get to Vetan Dessous (1595m; with Bell Tower Church of San Bernardo and Lorenzo and "Farm Abri") and Dessus (1737/80m), where he completed the Regional Road. The return should use yet another way: by Vetan descend back to the Sarriod Petit (1444m; this stretch can be covered with the path n° 14 (0h '15) but abandoned in the East Regional Road for Méod and Verrogne, you go down to the Villages Persod (1595m; Church of San Antonio), Ravoise Chaillod (1218m; Church with Campanile di San Rocco), Fossaz ( 1242 m; Church of San Domenico), and the Municipality of Saint Nicolas (1203/1196m; Chapel of Pineta, Church la Cure of San Nicola; "monument to the Poet Abbé J.B. Cerlogne"; "Chapel of the Partisans", all at the rocky promontory of the forest Bois de la Tour (1270m), crossed paths with signs and "Picnic Areas". Returning from this detour on Regional Road in a short time you reach the Village Lyveroulaz (957m; Church with Bell Tower of Santa Barbara), hence a brief detour to Southeast Cumiod (831m, Church "Presentation of the Virgin") and the next Montovert (808m; Church of Santa Margherita), whence again to the Regional at Châtelet-Crête Villages (706m, Church of S.S. Antonio and Barbara), now in Villeneuve Common. From this two small villages there are two ways of reaching the Main Road on the valley floor: a)- from La Crête down with Municipal Road reaching the Tour de Colin (675m); or b)- by Lyveroulaz Hamlet continue Eastwards with the Regional Road and, through the Villages of Evian (988m) and Montovert towards these of Vereytaz, Ordines and Pommier (former Chapel of St. Joseph), to reach the Common of Saint Pierre at the Savoy Castle. Then, leaving just above the Chapel of "Our Lady of La Salette" (719m), you reach the "Priory of St. Pierre", at the National Road No. 26. Using the same you reach the junction 810 metres from where the two alternatives: 1)- continue on the same reaching the Château de Sarre; St. Nicholas Church and Aosta. 2)- Returning back to Aymavilles with its splendid castle along the "Route de l'Envers" beyond the Dora Baltea and to the Municipalities of Jovençan, Gressan and Charvensod at the Pont Suaz (great stone bridge above the Baltea), whence to Aosta. But this second choice the reserve for the second stage starting by Quart Common.




Saint Pierre Savoy Castle just above the Common & State Road

by Osw


L'Area integralmente comprende 12/13 Comuni; può essere visitata con percorso di 2 giornate, facendo notare che per "Adret" s'intende la zona più esposta al sole e viceversa. Il rientro ad Aosta avviene lungo il lato orografico ed idrografico sinistro della Dora Baltea, oppure, dopo aver attraversato la medesima sul ponte verso Aymavilles, sullo opposto detto "Envers" anticipando parte della tappa del giorno dopo ma con percorso al contrario, cioé da Ovest verso Est.
Primo giorno attraversando 4/5 Comuni (Area "de l'Ouest Adret" o Comuni di Sarre, St. Pierre, St. Nicolas, Aymavilles ed attraversando parzialmente Villeneuve):

nella prima tappa possiamo consigliare di partire dalla Città di Aosta ad Ovest con la Strada Statale n° 26 verso il Monte Bianco ma, giunti presso il Comune di Sarre-Chesallet, abbandonarla e salire verso la collina con la Strada Regionale raggiungente la soprastante "Strada dei Salassi", che taglia tutta la medesima ad una altitudine media di 1350 metri circa. Salendo tra numerosi piccoli villaggi sparsi nelle medio-bassa collina fino a raggiungere il bivio di Callod 1198 metri, appena prima di Ville sur Sarre (1242 m; Chiesa di San Pantaleone). Dopo una breve visita, si ritorna ad Ovest e poi Nordovest raggiungendo l'"Area Pic Nic" a fianco del Torrent de Clusellaz ed in mezzo a quello "du Ruet" nonché ai piedi della grande frana dalla Becca France del 6 Luglio 1564. Qui conviene fare una sosta, soprattutto se avete fatto la salita a piedi con il sentiero n° 8 passando dal Villaggio di Vareille (1062 m; Chiesa di San Pietro "Madonna degli Angeli"; 1h'00 partendo da Sarre-Rovine (750 m; Chiesa di S.S. Grato e Giovanni). Da questo punto si scavalca con la strada in asfalto il Torrent de Clusellaz e, tramite due tornanti seguiti da un lungo diagonale a Sud-sudovest, si raggiunge il Villaggio di Bellun (1362 m; Chiesa di San Giacomo e Margherita; 0h'30, oppure in auto). Una variante consiste nel, da Ville sur Sarre, continuare verso Nordest e poi ovest e, passando dai Villaggi di Moulin, Mondache, Salet e Chavalançon, raggiungere Thôra o la Nuova Thouraz (1652 m; Chiesa di San Teodulo; 0h'45, a piedi con sentiero n° A/8B/9A8, oppure in auto).
Ritornando a Bellun, un lungo diagonale decisamente ad Occidente conduce ai piccoli Villaggi di Homené Dessous e Dessus (1493 m; Chiesa di Santa Margherita; "Agriturismo les Ecureils), dove arriva anche un'altra strada asfaltata da St. Pierre-Château presso il Comune passando dai Villaggi di la Croix (803 m; "Agriturismo Plein Soleil"), Etavel (803 m; Chiesa dell'Addolorata"), Bercher (*** qui anche da Sarre con una connessione ad Ovest), Praulin, Torretta, Babelon, Orléans con la soprastante ex Chiesa di S.S. Anselme e Clemente. Due sentieri segnalati n° 10A/10C arrivano rispettivamente dai Villaggi di Praulin (834 m) e più ad Ovest da Charrère (802 m; 1h'15/1h'30 per entrambi). Da Homené, lasciando in alto una breve deviazione per il Villaggio di Combelin (1586 m; fontana) alle pendici Meridionali della Becca France, si prosegue a Nordovest o con la Strada Regionale oppure tramite il sentiero n° 10AC (0h'20) raggiungendo il Villaggio di Verrogne (1595 m; Chiesa con Campanile di San Teodulo ed "Agriturismo La Cheminée") all'ingresso dell'omonimo vallone. Continuando con la strada in asfalto e passando sopra il Torrent de Méod, si raggiunge l'omonimo Villaggio Damon (1520 m; Chiesa di San Bernardo) ed i successivi di Dèsott, Petit e Grand Sarriod (1445 m; Cappelletta) e Gerbore (1633 m; Chiesa di San Giacomo); ritornando verso Nordest si arriva a Vetan Dessous (1595; Chiesa con Campanile di San Bernardo e Lorenzo ed "Agriturismo l'Abri") e Dessus (1737/80 m), dove ha termine la Strada Regionale. Al ritorno coviene utilizzare ancora un'altra strada: da Vetan si scende di nuovo al Petit Sarriod (1444 m; questo tratto può essere percorso con il sentiero n° 14 (0h'15) ma, abbandonata ad Est la Strada Regionale per Méod e Verrogne, si scende verso i Villaggi di Persod (1595 m; Chiesa di San Antonio), Ravoise, Chaillod (1218 m; Chiesa con Campanile di San Rocco), Fossaz (1242 m; Chiesa di San Domenico), ed al Comune di Saint Nicolas (1203/1196 m; Cappella della Pineta, Chiesa la Cure di San Nicola; "monumento al Poeta Abbé J.B. Cerogne"; "Cappella dei Partigiani", tutto presso il promontorio roccioso-boschivo del Bois de la Tour (1270 m), attraversato da sentieri con segnaletica ed "Aree Picnic". Rientrando da questa deviazione sulla Strada Regionale in breve tempo si raggiunge il Villaggio di Lyveroulaz (957 m; Chiesa con Campanile di Santa Barbara); da qui breve deviazione a Sudest per Cumiod (831 m, Chiesa "Presentazione della Vergine") ed il successivo di Montovert (808 m, Chiesa di Santa Margherita), donde di nuovo alla regionale presso Châtelet Crête (706 m, Chiesa di S.S. Antonio e Barbara), ormai nel Comune di Villeneuve. Da quest due piccoli villaggi esistono due possibilità per raggiungere la Strada Statale sul fondovalle: a)- da La Crête scendere con Strada Municipale raggiungendo la Tour de Colin (675 m); oppure b)- da Lyveroulaz continuare verso Est con la Regionale e, passando per i Villaggi di Evian (988 m) e Montovert, Vereytaz, Ordines e Pommier (ex Cappella di San Giuseppe), raggiungere il Comune di Saint Pierre presso il Castello Savoia, indi, lasciando appena sopra la Cappella della "Madonna della Salette" (719 m) si raggiunge il "Priorato di St. Pierre", presso la Strada Statale n° 26. Tramite la medesima si raggiunge il bivio 810 metri donde due alternative: 1)- continuare sulla stessa raggiungendo il Château de Sarre; Chiesa di San Nicola ed Aosta. 2)- Rientrando verso Aymavilles con il suo splendido Castello percorrere la "Route de l'Envers" al di là della Dora Baltea e verso i Comuni di Jovençan, Gressan e Charvensod presso il Pont Suaz, donde ad Aosta. Questa seconda scelta la riserviamo per la seconda tappa partendo dal Comune di Quart.

Bca. France Old landslide of July 1564 on SE Face 2015
Il Monte Grivola da Saint Nicolas
One-week trip Dialectal Poet J. Baptiste Cerlogne 2015
Trip around Castles Aymavilles with 4 towers 2015
Castel of Sarre: inside there...


From "Pic Nic Area" under Becca France near Thouraz Hamlet towards St. Nicolas, St. Pierre, Aymavilles & Sarre Communes

by SalVal, Maria Grazia Schiapparelli & Osw

Second or Southwestern "Envers" & Val de Cogne

Aosta & Surroundings / B Pont Suaz little Church 2015
The  Sacre...
One-week Trip Churches Charémoz tiny Eglise 2015
Testa Blantsette or Becca des Boucs
One-week trip around Churches Tzévrot Eglise 2015


Reverier Dessous, Charémoz towards Tzevrot little Hamlets bypassing Charvensod & Gressan Communes with Pila Resort

by emilius, Antonio & Osw


This complete Area which includes 14 Commons, can be visited with a course of 3 days, noting that "Envers" means the less exposed to the sun and vice versa. On the second day, leaving from the Commons of Quart or Grand Brissogne, it takes the "Envers" through Pollein and then climb to Charvensod up to Pila Basin and, after descending to Gressan, continue towards Jovençan, Aymavilles and Cogne Valley. The third day will be devoted to Savarenche and to Val di Rhêmes.
Day Two the interior of 7/8 also 11/12 Municipalities (Area "du Sud Envers" or Quart, Gr. Brissogne, Pollein, Charvensod, Gressan, Jovençan, Aymavilles and Cogne also Valsavarenche and Rhêmes Valleys with 5 Commons starting by Villeneuve or Introd, Valsavarenche, Rhêmes St. Georges and Notre Dame):

if the first stage we have not made the return with the opportunity 2)- returning to AymavillesCommon with his Castle along the "Via de l'Envers" beyond the Baltea and towards the Municipalities of Jovençan, Gressan and Charvensod at the Pont Suaz Hamlet with stone bridge, whence in Aosta, in this we travel back this way. If instead we have already traveled this route from the bridge of Pont Suaz (564m), on the outskirts of Aosta, climb directly in Pila Basin. Let's see in detail: from the Municipality of Quart (546/56m; Church of San Eusebio, "Camping Aosta") to leave the National Road No. 26, crossing the bridge over the Dora Baltea in locality Villefranche of Quart (557m), immediately to the East; reach a roundabout you leave momentarily the Regional Road along the course of Baltea going instead to the South in the direction of the Municipality of Grand Brissogne (906/19m, Château de Brissogne; Churches of "Madonna of Oropa", Santa Caterina and S.S. Fabiano Sebastiano). A brief and "winding" descent through a small road Municipal reports on Regional Road to the Municipality of Pollein, passing the village of les Ayettes (849m) to those of Chaney, Château and Petit Pollein ((557m; Church "Marriage of the Virgin"). Continuing to the West, it passes the Villages of Grand Pollein ((547m; Votive Chapel), Prefieur, Tharençan reaching Pollein Commune (546m; Church of San Giorgio). A brief digression in the Southwest to reach the Hamlet of Chenaux (656m; Church of Santa Barbara), at the entrance of the Dard Gorge, while a connecting road to reach, passing over the Torrent de Comboé, those Roulaz and High Félinaz ((591m; Church of Santa Anna), now in Charvensod.

Grand Pollein  Sposalizio di Maria Vergine  Chapel 2015
Surroundings / B Pollein San Giorgio main Church 2015
Surroundings / B Pollein  Mater Nostra  Chapel 2015
Surroundings / B S.S. Barbe & Marguerite Chapel 2015
Surroundings / B Chenaux St. Barbara Chapel 2015


Neighboring Grand Pollein, Pollein, Chenaux and St. Bénin Commune & Fractions,

by Osw


With short descent on Regional will reach the Fraction of Pian Felina (565/8m) , above which you will come to Pont-Suaz (564m; Little Church of "Nostra Signora della Pietà"). From this point, a choice must be made: A)- or continue, the same street and the same direction along the Dora Baltea, gradually reaching the Municipalities of Gressan, Jovençan, Aymavilles and then goes up in Cogne Valley; or B)- momentarily abandon this and go back to the Municipality of Charvensod (610m, Church of Sts Fabian and Sebastian and just above the trail n° 14L Sanctuary of Santa Colomba 924m; 0h'50/1h'00), below the wide Basin Pila. In the latter case extends the stage half-day but making the same certainly more "rich" and suggestive. Continuing from the common to the East you reach the junction 951 metres, where a small deviation with Municipal Road in asphalt leads to the Pastures of Reverier or Rayer "du Tzat" and Dessous (1042m; Chapel of Sainte Margaret and Saint Joseph). Returning to the Regional is beyond the small Villages Vagères, Bondine (1018m; here also from Santa Colomba Sanctuary with the path n° 14D; 0h'15), Roncogner, Lexeret, Reverier Marendet and Dessus, la Rochette, Saint Salò, Plan de Sérémont (1382m; Church of San Pantaleone), Peroulaz and Les Fleurs (1414m; *** here comes another Regional Road alternative by Gressan, then useful for our descent from Pila). Passing at the next Chacot, Large Cerise, Eaux-Froides, Charémoz (1662m; Church of "Our Lady of the Snows"; fountain), Rossellin, Mozod, in order to expose, Chacard you reach Pila-Resort (1803m; Churches "Christ Transfiguration", San Lorenzo, 18km from Pont-Suaz). From Pila-Center you can with the path-farm road to the East n° 14I reaching the famous Hermitage San Grato (1787m; 0h'45); by other paths n° 20/102; 19, 14/16/19A to Comboé (2114m; Little Church of Santa Maddalena; 1h'15/1h'30), right at the Western foot of Becca di Nona (3142m) and the beautiful Monte Emilius (3559m) Group.

One-week trip around Churches Pila new Eglise 2015
Gressan-Vilvon  St. Maria Maddalena  old Church 2015
Surr ... Gressan-Chabloz (Château Tour de Villa) 2015
Surroundings / B Gressan-Vilvon Hamlet Church 2015
One-week trip around Castles Gressan Tower 2015


From Pila Resort towards Gressan Commune with alternative road more in West,

by Osw


The descent by Pila
, takes us back to the crossroads of Les Fleurs Hamlet, where we can get down with the Regional alternative, passing by Villages Balza Gerdaz (1340 m; Church of San Rocco), Tivet, Barrier (1238 m, Church of S.S. Peter and "Maria Assunta"), Champlan Damon and Dèsott, Leysettaz-Dessous, Perrial, Cotes, Palathiau, Fontane, Clapey (734 m; Church "Our Lady of Sorrows"), Moline (Church of S.S. Peter and Paul), Jacquin au Chabloz (Château Tour de Villa), Vignettaz (Church of Santa Maria Maddalena of 1200) and the Chief-town Gressan (1238m; Church of S.S. Anna, Sebastiano). Just further East to Chevrot or Tzevrot with San Giovanni Church and Romanesque Bell Tower). After to the next Municipality of Jovençan (632m; Church of S. Orso). While in the surroundings Church of San Giorgio, Château de Jovençan and Church of San Gottardo, Tour de la Planta of XII° Century) and at Pompiod Hamlet (666m; Church of Santa Barbara). Bypassing over a hill between beautiful vineyards, so we arrive at Aymavilles (640m; Church of "Christ the King"; while near Churches of Santa Barbara, San Leodegardo and Château de Aymavilles with four towers; "Wine cellar of the Eleven Municipalities"); just above Southeast Oratory du Berrio Blanc 1075m, reached by the path n ° 1 from the Village of Chabloz (762m; 1h'15) and in the Southwest to the Comba (1027m; Church of "Sorrows) drive from the junction of Caou small Village (827m), now definitely at the entrance to Valley of Cogne. Almost immediately after one another crossroads on the other side it allows the descent towards Pondel or Pont d'Ael small Village (893m, 880m; Church of Sant'Andrea and Roman Bridge, built by Patricians Aimo and Avilius to transport water but above all, very few people know, for the search of gold into Grand'Eyvia Stream.
Continuing to climb the Val de Cogne, after the old wooden bridge Chevril (961m; now collapsed after various floods and rebuilt) to reach the Village Vieyes were only 14 people now and where Mass is celebrated one once in a year (1158m; Church of San Grato with frescoes on the front); at the foot of the Grivola (3969m) nearby the Village of Sylvenoire (1331m;, Little Church). Many galleries and the next Bridge Laval (1364m) leading to two Fractions of Epinel (1436m; Parish Church) and Crétaz (1494m; Sancte Paule Church), leaving at the top on the other side of the Grand'Eyvia Maison-Forte de Tarambel of the XIII° Century (1518 m), reached from the fork 1491 metres with trail unnumbered and by Epinel for Gimillan (1788/1814m; Church of St. Pantaleon with Steeple and bell), through n° 23. Then, in short time, you reach Cogne Common.

Week ... Leodegardo (Aymavilles) Virgin Statue 2015
One trip ... From Leodegardo Cross (St. Léger) 2015
One-week trip / B Aymavilles Castle from South 2015
One-week trip / B St: Léger (Aymavilles) Church 2015
One trip ... Saint Léger (Aymavilles)  Bell Tower 2015


From Pila Resort towards Saint Lèger "Leodegardo" (Aymavilles Common)

by Osw


Cogne and its Villages


Once over the new bridge again, you reach the Center (called as "La Ville") of the Municipality of Cogne (1531/63m; Km. 27,6 from Aosta, 20,2 by Aymavilles Parish Church with high Steeple of 1202, restored in XV° Century and in 1822; iron fountain 1800; various constructions of the XII° Century; Square tower called "House of the Plague 1630; graffiti the interior"; Casaforte-Castle of the Bishops of Aosta, then Royal Hunting House by Kings of Italy, Tour de Villette, built by Bishop Umberto II° in 1272, Gran Paradiso National Park since 1922; "Sant'Orso Meadow" formerly known as "Vela"), located in the East of the latter and facing the majestic Chain of the Gran Paradiso (4061m). Cogne has several Fractions: in addition to those of Epinel, Crétaz and Gimillan or Dzimillan already mentioned; but for the latter to remember to add the possibility of a walk with route n° 8/TVC towards Tarabouc Pasture (1831m; now deconsecrated Church of San Bernard; 0h'15) and, after the remains of Reventis or Révènti small Alp (+; 1895m), reach the little Votive Chapel of Ecloseur and the next trail n° 8D/TVC Bridge and Pastures of Tchezeu and Ecloseur (T; 0h'35). Wanting to continue the hike you reach the Alp Pila with nearby beautiful Waterfall, the Créuzet and then a Votive Chapel dedicated to the Virgin Mary, Cross 2296 metres and the very ancient Village/Alpages Grauson-Vieux (2273m; 1h'45). Gimillan is reached or crossing Cogne to the Little Church of Saint Antoine, or with the ring road to the North, passing through the Château Royal (1532m) reaches the same point at the roundabout above the union of Torrents Urtier and Lussert-Doreire-Gru. From this point the Regional Road up towards the Little Church of Montroz (1681m) nearby the Village of the same name after reaching four bends Gimillan Hamlet 2.1 Km. from Cogne. Always by crossing "St. Antoine" is continue Eastward and over Grand'Eyvia first reaching the Village of Moline (1539m; under the Mines of Magnetite Veins "Larsinaz", "Costa del Pino") and then the next Champlong (1596m; below the Loadstonemines Mother lodes of "Colonna", "Liconi"; Church of Saint Pierre). A final stretch leads straight to the more important Lillaz Fraction (1612/31m; Church of Santa Anna then called of Clément, three renowned Waterfalls; "Camping Les Salasses and Al Sole". In addition, it opens the great Vallon of Urtier, where there, protected from floods, the old Cogne or "Conia" of the Romans, but more likely from the Celtic-Ligurian-Salassian dialect "Coing", or angle of the valley. A farm dirt road or the trail underlying n° Alta Via n° 2/10H/10A/10, through Goilles Dessous and Dessus Pastures, lead with nice excursion to the small Church of Crest or Crêt (2020/24 m; wooden fountain; 1h'30/1h '45), near the homonymous Alpe ruined. The Last Village is located immediately to the South of Cogne and Valnontey in the direction of the same name at the foot of the giant Glacier of the Tribulation. Starting from the center of Cogne (in the square sundial by the Alberti, the Castle, now Hotel, plaque of the C.A.I. reminiscent of Vittorio Emanuele II°, the "King Hunter Toio" of Italy Kingdom and the City Hall in front of the memorial tablet for the stay of the 1841 Duke Ferdinando of Genoa) the Regional Road reaches the Village of Valnontey (1674m; Alpine Garden "Paradisia" in altitude 1704 metres, reached from the stone bridge over the Torrent de Valnontey with short walk and through the path 18/n° Alta Via n° 2; 0h'15; "Camps Bouva, Stambecco and Gran Paradiso").




Crest or Crêt Chapel above Cogne at the entrance on Urtier Vallon,
by emilius


L' Area comprende 14 Municipalità; può essere visitata in 3 giornate, facendo notare che per "Envers" s'intende la zona meno esposta al sole e viceversa. Nella seconda giornata, con partenza dai Comuni di Quart o Grand Brissogne, si percorre lo "Envers" attraversando Pollein e fino a Charvensod per poi salire a Pila e, dopo la discesa a Gressan, continuare verso Jovençan, Aymavilles e la Valle di Cogne. La terza giornata sarà dedicata alla Valsavarenche ed alla Val di Rhêmes.
Secondo giorno tra 7/8 Comuni oppure 11/12 (Area "de l'Envers Meridional" o Quart, Grand Brissogne, Pollein, Charvensod, Gressan, Jovençan, Aymavilles, Cogne altrimenti le due Valli di Savara e Rhêmes con 5 Comuni partendo da Villeneuve ovvero Introd, Valsavarenche, Rhêmes St. Georges and Notre Dame):

se nella prima tappa non abbiamo effettuato il rientro con la possibilità 2)- rientrando verso Aymavilles con il suo Castello percorrere la "Route de l'Envers" al di là della Dora Baltea e verso i Comuni di Jovençan, Gressan e Charvensod presso il Pont Suaz, donde ad Aosta, in questa percorriamo a ritroso questa strada. Se invece abbiamo già percorso questo itinerario dal ponte del Pont Suaz (564 m), alle porte di Aosta, si sale direttamente nella Conca di Pila. Vediamo nel dettaglio: partendo dal Comune di Quart (546/56 m; Chiesa di San Eusebio; "Camping Aosta") si abbandona la Strada Statale n° 26 attraversando il ponte sulla Dora Baltea in località Villefranche (557 m), subito ad Est; giunti ad una rotonda si lascia momentaneamente la Strada Regionale lungo il corso della Baltea salendo invece a Mezzogiorno in direzione del Comune di Grand Brissogne (906/19 m, Château de Brissogne; Chiese di "Madonna d'Oropa", Santa Caterina e S.S. Fabiano e Sebastiano). Una breve e "tortuosa" discesa tramite una Stradina Municipale riporta sulla Strada Regionale per il Comune di Pollein, passando dal Villaggio di les Ayettes (849 m) a quelli di Chaney, Château e Petit Pollein ((557 m; Chiesa "Sposalizio della Vergine"). Continuando verso Ovest si oltrepassano i Villaggi di Grand Pollein ((547 m; Cappella Votiva), Prefieur, Tharençan raggiungendo Pollein ((546 m; Chiesa di San Giorgio). Una breve divagazione a Sudovest permette di raggiungere la Frazione di Chenaux ((656 m; Chiesa di Santa Barbara ), all'imbocco della Gorgia del Dard, mentre una strada di collegamento permette di raggiungere, passando sopra al Torrent de Comboé, quelli di Roulaz ed Alto Félinaz ((591 m; Chiesa di Santa Anna ), ormai nel Comune di Charvensod. Con corta discesa sulla Regionale si raggiunge la Frazione di Pian Felina (565/8 m), oltrepassata la quale si perviene al Pont-Suaz (564m; Chiesetta "Nostra Signora della Pietà"). Da questo punto una scelta s'impone: A)- o continuare, stessa strada e stessa direzione lungo la Dora, raggiungendo progressivamente i Comuni di Gressan, Jovençan, Aymavilles per poi salire in Valle di Cogne; oppure B)- momentaneamente abbandonare questa e risalire verso il Comune di Charvensod (610 m; Chiesa dei S.S. Fabiano e Sebastiano ed appena al di sopra con il sentiero n° 14L al Santuario di Santa Colomba 924 m; 0h'50/1h'00), sottostante la Conca di Pila. In questo secondo caso si allunga la tappa di mezza giornata ma rendendo la stessa sicuramente più "ricca" e suggestiva. Continuando dal comune verso Oriente si raggiunge il bivio 951 metri, dove una piccola deviazione con strada in asfalto conduce agli Alpeggi di Reverier o Rayer "du Tzat" e Dessous (1042 m; Cappella di Santa Margherita e Saint Joseph). Rientrando sulla Regionale si oltrepassano i piccoli Villaggi di Vagères, Bondine (1018 m; qui anche da Santa Colomba col sentiero n° 14D; 0h'15), Roncogner, Lexeret, Reverier Dessus, la Rochette, Saint Salò, Plan de Sérémont (1382 m; Chiesa di San Pantaleone), Peroulaz e Les Fleurs (1414 m *** qui arriva anche un'altra Strada Regionale alternativa da Gressan, utile poi per la nostra discesa da Pila). Passando presso i successivi Villaggi di Chacot, Grande Cerise, Eaux - Froides, Charémoz (1662 m; Chiesetta di "Nostra Signora delle Nevi"; fontana), Rossellin, Mozod, Perchu, Chacard si giunge a Pila (1803 m; Chiese di "Trasfigurazione del Signore" e San Lorenzo; 18 Km dal Pont-Suaz). Da Pila é possibile con il sentiero-poderale ad Est n° 14I all'Eremitaggio di San Grato (1787 m; 0h'45) e da questo o con altre vie e sentieri n° 20/102; 19, 14/16/19A al Comboé (2114 m; Chiesetta di Santa Maddalena; 1h'15/1h'30), giusto ai piedi di Becca di Nona (3142 m) ed il bel Gruppo del Monte Emilius (3559 m).

St. Barthélemy Valley B. d Aveuille from Brissogne 2015
Jov ... S. Giorgio Church & Cité de Cordèle Castle 2015
Aosta & Surr ... Jovençan San Giorgio Church 2015
Aosta & Surroundings / B 1894 Pompiod Church 2015
Aosta & Surr ... Jovençan San Gottardo Old Chapel 2015


From Brissogne towards Jovençan, passing Pollein, Charvensod and Gressan Communes,

by Osw


La discesa
ci riporta al bivio di Les Fleurs, dove possiamo scendere con la Regionale alternativa che, passando dai Villaggi di Balzà, Gerdaz (1340 m; Chiesa di San Rocco), Tivet, Barrier (1238 m; Chiesa di S.S. Pietro e "Maria Assunta"), Champlan Damon e Dèsott, Leysettaz-Dessous, Perrial, Cotes, Palathiau, Fontane, Clapey (734 m; Chiesa "Madonna Addolorata"), Moline (Chiesa di S.S. Pietro e Paolo), Jacquin au Chabloz (Château Tour de Villa), Vignettaz (Chiesa di Santa Maria Maddalena del 1200) ed il Capoluogo di Gressan (1238 m; Chiesa di S.S. Anna e Sebastiano; appena più ad Est a Chevrot o Tzevrot Chiesa di San Giovanni con Campanile Romanico). Il successivo Comune di Jovençan (632 m; Chiesa di S.Orso). Mentre nei dintorni Chiesa di San Giorgio e Château de Jovençan; Chiesa di San Gottardo, Tour de la Planta del XII° Secolo ed a Pompiod (666 m; Chiesa di Santa Barbara). Scavalcando una collina tra splendidi vigneti, si arriva così ad Aymavilles (640 m; Chiesa di "Cristo Re"; nentre nei dintorni Chiese di Santa Barbara, San Leodegardo e Château d'Aymavilles; "Cantina degli Undici Comuni"); appena sopra a Sudest Oratorio du Berrio Blanc 1075 m, raggiungibile con sentiero n° 1 dal Villaggio di Chabloz (762 m; 1h'15 ed a Sudovest a la Comba (1027 m; Chiesa della "Addolorata" in auto dal bivio di Caou (827 m), ormai decisamente all'ingresso in Val di Cogne. Subito dopo un'altro bivio sul lato opposto consente la discesa verso Pondel o Pont d'Ael (893 m, 880 m; Chiesa di Sant'Andrea e Ponte Romano), costruito dai Patrizi Romani "Aimo et Avilius" pel trasporto d'acque ma soprattutto, in pochi lo sanno, per la ricerca dell'oro drenando il Torrent Grand'Eyvia.
Continuando a risalire la Val de Cogne, dopo l'antico ponte in legno di Chevril (961 m; ormai crollato dopo le varie alluvioni e ricostruito) si raggiunge il Villaggio di Vieyes, dove sono rimaste solo 14 persone ed ove ormai si celebra la Messa una sola volta in un anno (1158 m; antichissima Chiesa di San Grato con affreschi affronte e Rettoria dapprima nel 1788 e poi nel 1845); vicino, ai piedi della Grivola (3969 m) il Villaggetto di Sylvenoire (1331 m, Chiesetta). Molte gallerie ed il successivo Ponte di Laval (1364 m) conducono alle Frazioni di Epinel (1436 m, Chiesa Parrocchiale) e di Crétaz (1494 m, Chiesa Sancte Paule), lasciando in alto sull'altra sponda della Grand'Eyvia la Maison-Forte de Tarambel del XIII° Secolo e di proprietà dei Vescovi d'Aosta (1518 m), raggiungibile dal bivio 1491 metri con il sentiero non numerato e da Epinel per il Villaggio di Gimillan (1788/1814 m; Chiesetta di Saint Pantaleon e Campanile, campana ed antica fontana), col n° 23, poi con la Regionale, in breve, s'arriva in Cogne.

One-week trip / B Vieyes St. Grat ancient Church 2015
One-week trip / B Epinel Steeple in Cogne Valley 2015
One-week trip / B Crétaz Church in Cogne Valley 2015
One-week trip / B Cogne Municipality Chief Town 2015
One-week trip / B St. Antoine (Cogne) old Church 2015


From Aymavilles towards Vieyes (Aymavilles Commune), Epinel, Crétaz Hamlet & Cogne Municipality with St. Antoine Church",

by Osw


Cogne ed i suoi Villaggi


Passato il ponte nuovo, si raggiunge il Centro (La Ville; Km. 27,6 da Aosta) del Comune di Cogne (1531/63 m; Chiesa Parrocchiale con alto Campanile del 1202; fontana in ferro dell'800; varie costruzioni del XII° Secolo; Torre quadrata detta "Casa della Peste"; Castello Casaforte dei Vescovi di Aosta e poi Casa Reale di Caccia dei Re d'Italia; Tour de Villette, costruita dal Vescovo Umberto II° nel 1272; Parco Nazionale del Gran Paradiso dal 1922; "Prato di Sant'Orso" conosciuto anticamente come "Vela"), sito ad Oriente di quest'ultimo e di fronte alla maestosa Catena del Gran Paradiso (4061 m). Cogne possiede diverse Frazioni: oltre a quelle di Epinel, Crétaz e Gimillan o Dzimillan già citate; ma per quest'ultima c'é da aggiungere la possibilità d'una passeggiata con sentiero n° 8/TVC fino a Tarabouc (1831 m; Chiesetta di Saint Bernard ormai sconsacrata; 0h'15) e, dopo i ruderi del Reventis o Révènti (+; 1895 m), raggiungere la Cappelletta Votiva dell'Ecloseur e con il successivo sentiero n° 8D/TVC il Ponte e gli Alpeggi di Tchezeu e dell'Ecloseur (T; 0h'35; volendo proseguire l'escursione si raggiunge l'Alpe Pila con bella Cascata, il Créuzet e subito dopo una Cappella Votiva dedicata alla Madonna, la Croce 2296 metri e l'antico Villaggio di Grauson-Vieux (2273 m; 1h'45). Gimillan si raggiunge od attraversando Cogne fino alla Chiesa di Saint Antoine, oppure con la circonvallazione a Nord che, passando per il Château Royal (1532 m) raggiunge il medesimo punto alla rotonda sopra l'unione dei Torrents Urtier e Gru. Da questo punto la Strada Regionale sale verso la Chiesetta di Montroz (1681 m), che precede l'omonimo Villaggio, raggiungendo successivamente con quattro tornanti Gimillan a 2,1 Km. da Cogne. Sempre dall'incrocio di "St. Antoine" si prosegue verso Est e sopra la Grand'Eyvia raggiungendo dapprima il Villaggio di Moline (1539 m; sotto le Miniere di magnetite dei Filoni "Larsinaz" e "Costa del Pino") e quindi il successivo di Champlong (1596 m; sotto le Miniere di magnetite delle Vene di "Colonna" e "Liconi"; Chiesetta di Saint Pierre). Un ultimo tratto più rettilineo conduce all'importante Frazione di Lillaz (1612/31 m; Chiesa di Santa Anna poi Clément; tre famose Cascate; "Campings Les Salasses ed Al Sole"). Oltre, si apre il grande Vallone dell'Urtier, dove esisteva, al riparo dalle alluvioni, l'antica Cogne o "Conia" dei Romani, ma molto più probabilmente dal dialetto Celtico-Ligure-Salasso "Coing", ovvero angolo. Una strada poderale od il sottostante sentiero n° Alta Via n° 2/10H/10A/10, passando per le Alpi Goilles Dessous e Dessus, conducono con bell'escursione alla Chiesetta del Crest o Crêt (2020/24 m; fontana in legno; 1h30/1h'45), presso l'omonima Alpe diroccata. L'ultimo Villaggio si trova subito a Mezzogiorno di Cogne in direzione dell'omonima Valnontey ed ai piedi del gigantesco Ghiacciaio della Tribolazione. Partendo dal Centro di Cogne (sulla piazza meridiana dell'Alberti, sul Castello, attualmente Albergo, lapide del C.A.I. che ricorda Vittorio Emanuele II°, il "Re Cacciatore" e sul Municipio a fronte lapide per il soggiorno in Cogne del 1841 da parte del Duca Ferdinando di Genova) la Strada Regionale raggiunge la Frazione di Valnontey (1674 m; Giardino Alpino "Paradisia" a quota 1704 metri), raggiungibile dal ponte sul Torrent de Valnontey con passeggiata e sentiero 18/n° Alta Via n° 2 (0h'15; "Campings Bouva, Stambecco e Gran Paradiso").

One-week trip / B Montroz (Dzimillan) Church 2015
One-week trip / B Gimillan Church & Bell Tower 2015
One-week trip / B Tarabouc deconsecrated Church 2015
One-week trip / B Champlong (Lillaz) little Church 2015
One-week ... Lillaz S.S Anne & Clément Church 2015


From Montroz toward Gimillan Hamlet and Tarabouc Alp & by Champlong Village to Lillaz Fraction,

by Osw

Third trip towards Savarenche & Rhêmes Velleys

Valsavarenche up to the "Madonnina" of Gran Paradiso


The third day will include, starting from Villeneuve, the visit of the Valleys Savarenche and Rhêmes. But it can become the second performing different solution.
If you choose instead of the Basin of Pila and Cogne Valley alternatively you can visit the Valleys Savarenche and Rhêmes.
With this second chance, arrived in Aymavilles, you have to keep going to the West reaching the adjacent Municipality of Villeneuve (656/65m; current Church of Santa Assunta of 1782), while the ancient Parish with Romanesque bell tower is of 1400. But most of the Châtel Argent above the XI° Century with its walled in ruins but with the cylindrical Tower still present. It constructed of materials that came from the Roman road to Petit Saint Bernard. Owned by the Lords of Bard, then those of St. Pierre and the 1605 Leonardo Roncas, he was dismantled in the eighteenth Century to rebuild homes after a violent storm. From the square of the Church apart from the Regional Road to the municipality of Introd, reached just after the bridge is 70 metres above a frightful ravine (872m; magnificent Château d'Introd of 1260 with internally Square tower and Roman Barn; Church of 1500 and Bell Tower 1600). The castle was built by Peter Introd Bard and restored in the twentieth Century. But before we get to Introd and after the Hamlet of Junod in that of Villes are in the feature Dessous (806m; Chapel of St. James of 1867 with three mini Bell Towers topped by many Crosses) while proceeding as well as the Dessus (863 m; Church San Ilario). While over the common, left in the Southwest the detour to the Valley of Rhêmes, near the roadside to Buillet (1030 m; tiny Church of San Defendente). Continuing on the road to Valsavarenche you reach the Villages Chevrère (1108m; little Church), Molere (1108m; little Church) to above winding road 1132 metres Fenille (1304m; Chapel); then continuing to the east of Dora Savara and exceeded the Hamlets of la Ramou and Bois de Clin reach Rovenaud (1462m; little Church). Soon we arrive at the Chief-town of Dégioz-Valsavarenche (1525/47m; Parish Church and near Campanile with Meridiana 1802; Centre for the visit P.N.G.P.), located at the foot of the "arduous beautiful Grivola" (3969m) by the Poet Giosué Carducci. From here on, the Religion gradually gives way to the "Civilization" but there is still something: the detour to the South of Dégioz to Toulaplana and Creton Villages (1613m; little Church), Bien (1629m; small Church), little more than "Camping Grivola" and before the "Agriturismo Lo Mayen" and finally, after the "Camping Gran Paradiso" and the departure of the route n° 5/5A/10A the Refuge Federico and Renato Chabod (2710m). Finally in Pont of Valsavarenche-Breuil (1952/69m; little Church) with great parking and the trail n° 1 to the Vittorio Emanuele II° Refuge (2734m). But if you want to achieve the ultimate signal of Christianity there remains that go up and then climb to the Gran Paradiso (4061m) on the Summit where you will find the "Madonnina" highest of all Graians, Chain of Mont Blanc excluded. But in this case, going from Hiking to Mountaineering, stretch your week of a day and maybe two ...

La Valsavarenche fino alla Madonnina del Gran Paradiso





"Granpa Madonnina" since 1954 until 2015,
by Huberschwiller


La terza giornata prevede, partendo da Villeneuve, la visita delle due Valli Savarenche e Rhêmes. Ma può diventare la seconda effettuando una soluzione diversa.
Se si sceglie invece del Bacino di Pila e la Val di Cogne in alternativa si possono visitare le Valli Savarenche e Rhêmes.
Con questa seconda possibilità, arrivati al Comune di Aymavilles, bisogna proseguire sempre ad Ovest raggiungendo l'adiacente di Villeneuve (656/65 m; attuale Chiesa di Santa Assunta del 1782), mentre l'antica Parrocchia con Campanile Romanico é del 1400. Ma soprattutto il soprastante Châtel Argent del XI° Secolo con la sua cinta di mura in rovina e la Torre cilindrica ancora presente; costruito con materiali romani che provenivano dal disfacimento della strada "Consiliare" del Piccolo San Bernardo. Di proprietà dei Signori di Bard, poi di quelli di St. Pierre e dal 1605 di Leonardo Roncas, venne smantellato nel XVIII° Secolo per ricostruire le case dopo un violentissimo uragano con grandi distruzioni. Dalla piazzetta della Chiesa parte la Strada Regionale per il Comune di Introd, che si raggiunge subito dopo il ponte alto 70 metri sopra uno spaventevole orrido nella Dora (872 m; splendido Château d'Introd del 1260 con internamente Torre quadrata e Granaio Romano; Chiesa del 1500 e Campanile del 1600). Il Castello venne costruito da parte di Pietro Introd di Bard e restaurato nel Secolo XX°. Ma prima di arrivare ad Introd e dopo la Frazione Junod in quella di Villes troviamo a Dessous la caratteristica (806 m; Cappella di San Giacomo del 1867 con tre mini campanili sormontati da altrettante Croci) mentre procedendo oltre a Dessus la (863 m; Chiesa di Sant'Ilario). Mentre oltre il comune, lasciata a Sudovest la deviazione per la Val di Rhêmes, sul ciglio della strada a Buillet (1030 m; Chiesetta di San Defendente). Continuando sulla strada per Valsavarenche si raggiungono i Villaggi di Chevrère (1108 m; Chiesetta), Molere (1108 m; Chiesetta) al tornante 1132 m e Fenille (1304 m; Chiesetta); poi continuando ad Oriente della Dora di Savara ed oltrepassati i Villaggi di la Ramou e Bois de Clin si raggiunge Rovenaud (1462 m; Chiesetta). Ben presto si arriva al Capoluogo di Dégioz-Valsavarenche (1525/47 m; Chiesa Parrocchiale e vicino Campanile Romanico con Meridiana del 1802; Centro di visita del P.N.G.P.), situato ai piedi dell'"ardua Grivola bella" (3969 m) di Giosué Carducci. Da qui in avanti la Religione progressivamente cede il passo alla "Civiltà" ma troviamo ancor qualcosa: dalla deviazione a Sud di Dégioz verso i Villaggetti di Toulaplana ed il Creton (1613 m; Chiesetta), a Bien (1629 m; Chiesetta), poco oltre il "Camping Grivola" e prima dell'"Agriturismo Lo Mayen" ed infine, dopo il "Camping Gran Paradiso" e la partenza del sentiero n° 5/5A/10A per il Rifugio Federico e Renato Chabod (2710 m); infine a Pont di Valsavarenche-Breuil (1952/69 m; Chiesetta) con grande parcheggio e partenza del sentiero n° 1 per il Rifugio Vittorio Emanuele II° (2734 m). Ma se volete raggiungere l'estremo segnale della Cristianità non rimanvi altro che di salire proseguendo per l'ascensione del Gran Paradiso (4061 m) sulla cui Vetta troverete la "Madonnina" più alta di tutte le Graie, Catena del Monte Bianco esclusa. Però in questo caso dovrete, passando dall'Escursionismo all'Alpinismo, allungare la vostra settimana d'una giornata e forse anche due ...

One-week trip around Castles restored Aymavilles 2015
One-week trip around Castles Châtel d Argent 2015
Surroundings / B ... Ville Dessous 1867 Chapel 2015
Castles & Churches ... / B Introd  of 1260  Château 2015
One ...Churches / B Buillet Hamlet little Church 2015


From Aymavilles towards Dégioz-Valsavarenche, passing Villeneuve and Introd Municipalities,
by Osw


Along the Val de Rhêmes


In addition to Valsavara you can from the junction above Introd visit to Rhêmes.
A trip completely doable in a day, devoting the morning to the first part and, after the descent to the junction above the Common of Introd, in the afternoon to the second. Rhêmes Valley denotes signs of his "Christianity" a little bit everywhere, starting from the small village of Branloz at its entrance (1050m; Chapel ) to that of Sarral (1093m; Chapel ), just before the Municipality of Rhêmes- Saint-Georges. A short climb with detour first to the South and then to the North leads to the Town Hall (1234/5m), next to which we find the beautiful Church of St. George of 1500 , rebuilt over a Chapel of the XII° Century. Then transformed into a Rectory and Parish, has inside wooden Altars of the seventeenth Century and a painting of the Death of St. Joseph; outward instead the adjoining ancient cemetery with burials on a single green grass and topped by old and artistic wrought iron Crosses. Going up the valley floor, two short detours to the West lead to Frassiney (1315m; Chapel) and Proussaz (1445m; Chapel), two Villages perched at the foot of the wild Grand Revers (3163m)). After the subsequent of Creton, Barmaz, Melignon, Brennan, Artalle, Carré (1664m; Chapel) and Chanavey you reach the Capital of Rhêmes-Notre-Dame (1722/5m; Parish Church of Breuil and Romanesque Bell tower with the interior of the loudest bells in all the Aosta Valley), located at the foot of the large (almost 2000 metres) Eastern Wall of the Grande Rousse (3607m). Immediately following ancient cemetery with wrought iron Crosses, which also rests Casimire Thérisod (* 1858 + 1921), famous and first Mountain Guide of the Rhêmes Valley; a plaque, placed in 1921 by his Friends Mountaineers of Turin C.A.I. Giovanni Bobba Francesco Quaini, remembers him in main face of Town Hall right in front.






Middle and Lower Rhêmes Valley,
by Marco Cossard


Percorrendo la Val de Rhêmes


Oltre alla Valsavara si può dal bivio sopra Introd visitare anche quella di Rhêmes. Una gita completamente fattibile in una giornata, dedicando la mattinata alla prima parte e, dopo la discesa verso il bivio soprastante il Comune di Introd, il pomeriggio alla seconda. La Valle di Rhêmes denota segni della sua "Cristianità" un pò dovunque, incominciando dal piccolo Villaggio di Branloz al suo ingresso nella parte inferiore (1050 m; Cappella) per arrivare a quello di Sarral (1093 m; Cappella), appena prima del Comune di Rhêmes-Saint-Georges. Una breve risalita con deviazione dapprima a Meridione e poi a Settentrione conduce al Municipio (1234/5 m), accanto al quale troviamo la splendida Chiesa di San Giorgio del 1500, ricostruita sopra una Cappella del XII° Secolo. Trasformata successivamente in Rettoria e Parrocchia, presenta al suo interno splendidi Altari in legno del XVII° Secolo ed una tela rappresentante la Morte di San Giuseppe; all'esterno invece l'attiguo antico cimitero con sepolture su di un unico verde prato e sormontate da vecchie ed artistiche Croci in ferro battuto. Risalendo il fondovalle, due brevi deviazioni ad Occidente conducono a Frassiney (1315 m; Cappella) ed a Proussaz (1445 m; Cappella), due Villaggi abbarbicati ai piedi del selvaggio Grand Revers (3163 m). Dopo i successivi Villaggi e Frazioni di Creton, Barmaz, Melignon, Brenan, Artalle, Carré (1664 m; Cappella) e Chanavey si raggiunge il Capoluogo di Rhêmes-Notre-Dame (1722/5 m; Chiesa Parrocchiale del Breuil con Campanile Romanico con all'interno le campane, dicono, più sonore di tutta la Valle di Aosta), posta alle pendici della grande (quasi 2000 metri) Parete Orientale della Grande Rousse (3607 m). Subito appresso antico cimitero con Croci in ferro battuto, nel quale riposa anche Casimire Thérisod (* 1858 + 1921), famosa e prima Guida Alpina della Valle di Rhêmes; una targa, posta nel 1921 dai suoi Amici Alpinisti torinesi del C.A.I. Giovanni Bobba e Francesco Quaini, lo ricorda nella facciata del Municipio giusto affronte alla Chiesa.

Surroundings / B-1 Rhêmes-St.-George Church 2015
Surroundings / B-1 Dedicated to Casimire Thérisod 2015
Surroundings / B-1 Rhêmes-Notre-Dame Church 2015


From Rhêmes-St.-Georges towards Rhêmes-Notre-Dame with Casimire Thérisod plaque,

by Osw



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Noondueler

Noondueler - Jun 7, 2015 12:37 pm - Voted 10/10

A beautiful place

you have visited Osvaldo. Thanks for sharing. You appear to really know the history.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1