Viewing: 1-14 of 14
TJ311

TJ311 - Dec 14, 2008 5:47 pm - Voted 10/10

What an adventure

Sounds like you had a great adventure... even with the BEAR incident. I only wish I had the time to make a trip like that. Thanks for sharing.

EastcoastMike

EastcoastMike - Dec 15, 2008 7:49 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: What an adventure

Yeah it was really fun! I hope to have many more similar adventures, thanks for reading!

Deltaoperator17

Deltaoperator17 - Dec 14, 2008 6:04 pm - Voted 10/10

Bear Canister

So buy a bear canister and keep in the trunk?? Sounds like a good adventure.

EastcoastMike

EastcoastMike - Dec 15, 2008 7:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Bear Canister

The problem was we left a cooler in the car and the bear who broke in was familiar with coolers and what was usually kept in them. Yes it was quite an adventure, thanks for reading!

silversummit

silversummit - Dec 14, 2008 8:38 pm - Voted 10/10

Great trip!

Glad you could be flexible and still got to do so much! Your pictures are beautiful. I liked your plan for climbing the cables.

EastcoastMike

EastcoastMike - Dec 15, 2008 7:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great trip!

Yes we were all so glad to be on the cables alone. I had hiked it previously one time in the traditional 2pm traffic jam and was not pleasant. Thanks for reading!

rlshattuck

rlshattuck - Dec 19, 2008 2:50 pm - Hasn't voted

that must be a joke

uh, you don't want to leave a bear canister in the trunk. You don't want to leave any food in the car, PERIOD! great trip though and the bear adventure will only add to it.

BobSmith

BobSmith - Dec 20, 2008 7:31 pm - Voted 10/10

Great!

What a great trip! The bear ripping your door off was a nice touch. That must have been a major bummer. But what a great story!

roadtripper

roadtripper - Dec 21, 2008 11:04 pm - Hasn't voted

awesome

looks like one heck of a road trip, thanks for sharing

imzadi

imzadi - Dec 23, 2008 9:49 am - Voted 10/10

Dream trip

Wow...to have the oportunity to do so much hiking in so little time...and so many different places. Wicked. Maybe someday.

As for the bear...well...I know that my hubby and I learn something new each time we hike (and mess something up). Chalk it up to experience...probably never do this again. Probably will prevent others from doing it too.

LOVE the pictures!

CaLculAted Risk

CaLculAted Risk - Dec 26, 2008 9:06 pm - Voted 10/10

Absolutely Incredible!

As another east coaster with dreams of hiking out west someday, this trip report really hit home. The pictures were amazing. It's been awhile since I've seen so many pictures that deserve a 10 vote in one trip report. Well done and a great contribution to SP!!

edubbs

edubbs - Dec 29, 2008 11:30 pm - Voted 10/10

Fun

What a great trip. Where did you get all that time? Too bad about the car, at least it wasn't due to something you'd left in by mistake. I once heard a man tell my friend that the bears know to stay away from the bear bins. Hahaha.

mtnman455

mtnman455 - Dec 31, 2008 1:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Bear

The Bear makes the story. Sure, you had to pay out a little money, but it is a trip you will remember forever.

Marmaduke

Marmaduke - Mar 9, 2010 10:05 pm - Voted 10/10

Enjoyed your story!

Probably a vacaction you'll never forget. I have camped several times in Yosemite and Mammoth Mountain area. The bears are the one thing that do bother me some. Only one time did the seem to be aggressive to where one night I couldn't sleep. We are planning pack trips into the back country this summer. In the past, bathrooms or our car were close enough that if needed we could get away. These upcomimg trip will be just us and wilderness. Oh well, like you two and the thousands of others I'm sure all will be fine. Thanks again for your article!

Viewing: 1-14 of 14
Return to 'Our experiences out West - Summer 2007' main page