Helium Carabiner

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Helium Carabiner
Manufacturer Wild Country
Page By Misha
Page Type Sep 8, 2005 / Sep 8, 2005
Object ID 1418
Hits 3498
Vote
Innovation in carabiner design – this funky biner features both a wire gate and a notchless nose. It is also extremely light for a full-size biner thanks to hot forged, I-beam, ribbed construction.

* Wire gate can be used as top or bottom biner.
* Strength of 25kN with closed gate, 10kN with open gate, 8kN if cross-loaded.
* Gate opening of 2.7cm.
* Hooded nose protects the wire gate from rubbing open.
* Locating pip keeps slings close to the spine. (We recommend narrow gauge Spectra® slings for the biner's narrow neck).
* Three Sigma tested.
* CE certified.

Reviews


Viewing: 1-5 of 5

Misha - Sep 8, 2005 12:22 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Phenomenal little helper; the best carabiner I own! In an attempt to shave a couple of pounds off my trad rack, I replaced all my regular biners and draws with WC Heliums and WC Dyneema runners. I never looked back! These carabiners combine a very light weight, an excellent feel in your hand and a relatively wide gate opening.

dleighto - Mar 16, 2007 10:07 pm - Voted 5/5

Excellent but expensive
They are an awesome, lightweight setup when paired with skinny Mammut slings. They are super lightweight, handle nicely, have strong wiregate action, and a useful notch-less design. All around a great carabiner with the only real drawback being their high price.

Bill Kerr - Aug 19, 2008 5:23 pm - Voted 5/5

Great biner for alpine
Replaced all my biners with these and the weight difference is amazing. Good size and opening. Also like the red and silver colors for draws and visibility on the rock.

mattsim - Mar 15, 2010 7:37 pm - Hasn't voted

great biner, watch for sales
I have found that often it's cheaper to buy the quickdraw than two of these biners, so check out that option.
Of the comparable biners, this and the DMM shield are my favorites. But both are expensive. I only buy them when I can find them on sale (which is to say, rarely). Instead, I have a big pile of Mad Rock Ultralights, which cost half as much.

jrisku - Apr 7, 2011 6:50 am - Voted 5/5

Excellent light carabiner
Helium is a good carabiner, it's light easy to clip and due to its clear clip nose it does not tangle. One of the best carabiners there is.

The dogbone that comes with Helum quickdraw is not good though for ice climbing in cold conditions, as the rubber that holds the carabiner in place tends to break.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5