Windstopper® Fleece Peruvian Hat

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Windstopper® Fleece Peruvian Hat
Manufacturer Outdoor Research
Page By Josh
Page Type Dec 20, 2001 / Dec 20, 2001
Object ID 99
Hits 8039
Vote
The OR Peruvian hat is made from Windstopper® Fleece and has generous ear flaps. The chin cord adjusts with a cordlock to avoid the effort of tying strings in a cold wind with gloves on. The cord allows the ear flaps to be held in place on top of the head when not needed for ear warmth.



Windstopper® Fleece from W.L. Gore, prevents almost all evaporative and convective heat loss because it is absolutely windproof, very water resistant and yet extremely breathable. It is created by laminating a Teflon® membrane, very similar to the membrane used in Gore-Tex™, between two layers of fleece. The result is an extremely lightweight, comfortable fleece that provides an amazing amount of warmth. And, because the vapor permeability is extremely high, the fleece remains comfortable throughout a wide range of conditions and levels of activity.
  • Vapor permeable, windproof, lightweight and warm.
  • 3 dimensional design.
  • Earband covers the ears completely for protection from the wind.
  • Lycra® spandex trim cups the edge to create a snug seal.
  • Can be flipped up for ventilation.
  • All seams are very low profile to reduce pressure on the head.
  • Made in USA.


Windstopper(tm) Headwear Fit Info

Small - fits head circumference 22 in. and smaller.

Medium - fits head circumference 22 in.-23 in.

Large - fits head circumference 23 in. and larger

Reviews


Viewing: 1-5 of 5

Josh - Dec 20, 2001 11:11 am - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
Like Stealth C4 rubber, Windstopper® Fleece is another example of a technology that must have been given to us by aliens. The stuff is truly amazing.

The main features of the OR Peruvian Hat are its ear-flaps/chin-strap. The flaps are very useful for keeping your ears toasty, but the chin strap is a little uncomfortable and can sometimes get in the way. This is a great hat, but if I could do it over, I would probably go with the Neve Hat instead.

GreenNerve - Mar 26, 2003 10:52 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Very nice. I have to disagree with Josh about the chin strap even though it is a pain getting it over a pair of glasses when I want to raise or lower the ear flaps. I use it sometimes to hang the hat from the sternum strap on my pack, freeing up pocket space for other things. It also cinches down the ear flaps for a little extra warmth especially when it’s windy.

Because of the windproof feature, it does retain a bit of sweat like waterproof/breathable clothing. Nothing’s perfect, but this works very well.

miztflip - Nov 28, 2004 9:11 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
A great hat. I always keep this one in my pack for those windy, cold days. I don't usually wear it unless I need it as I sometimes find it hard to hear my partner while wearing windstopper.



Does a great job of keeping the wind out while also allowing my head to remain sweatless.

RModelli - Sep 18, 2005 11:47 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
It does what it is meant to do, it sheds wind really well and protects the head from cold, this is an essential for me when climbing in the cold.

It does not fit well under the helmet.

Warm and comfortable.

jclements - Dec 21, 2005 12:25 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Used on many climbs, skiing, cold weather, high winds. It ties down and stays down, keeps the entire ear and some of the jaw warm and shielded. Yes, windstopper is hard to hear through but how far away do you expect to be hearing things in windy conditions? For mild and cool weather you can wear something else. Unless MH makes a Dome Perignon with tie down flaps (the DP material is a little more plush and comfy against the skin), this will be the last hat you need for cold windy conditions.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5