Over the Hill

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 25.80193°N / 56.11545°E
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: VS
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 8
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Jebel Hila, an outlier of Jebel Haqab, stands like a huge citadel of limestone in lower Wadi Bih. There are climbs on the 450m high north face and the 400m high south face.

Jebel Hila
Jebel Hila

Getting There

From Dubai, drive to Ras Al Khaimah (one hour). Follow signs to Wadi Bih (see the UAE climbing guide book). For the north face turn right off the road at 25.80186°N 56.10075°E,  8.4km after the dam. Park at the end of the track. For the south face, turn off 220m earlier. Drive through the village of Hila and park near the end of the track.

Over the Hill
Over the Hill

 

Route Description

Over the Hill  VS 340m 

This climb on the north face follows a water course and is on mostly good rock. It has consistently good climbing. It has been repeated several times according to UKClimbing.com logbooks and is given two stars.

Take double 60m half ropes in case of an abseil retreat and to enable liberal protection. Take a trad rack including wires and cams up to size 3. There is no need for really small stuff. Take plenty of extenders. 

From the parking, walk 700m up the wadi under the face. Cut back along a ledge to reach the climb in 20 minutes. Start 50m right of Edge of Reason in a leftward facing corner.

  • 50m  Climb the corner and trend left to follow cracks 10m left of the corner. 
  • 55m 4c  Continue up cracks and chimneys.
  • 45m 4c  Climb the corner and the layback flake above.
  • 25m 4a  Up a short wall. 
  • 45m 4c  Climb the fine deep cut corner.
  • 50m 4c  Continue up the chimney/crack system. 
  • 45m 5a  Climb a series of corners trending rightwards and back left. Loose but well protected.  
  • 25m 4c  Starting slightly on the left, climb cracks to the top. 

Pete Thompson, Paul Walley  07/03/2009. Climbed on my fiftieth birthday.

UAE Rock Climbing is the guidebook but does not cover Jebel Hila. However, other Jebel Hila route descriptions are available from www.redarmadapublishing.com

Over the Hill Route
Over the Hill Route

 

Descent

The descent for Over the Hill and all the climbs on Jebel Hila is down the descent gully on the west face (see photo). From the top of the climb, go up slightly and contour round to the top of the gully at 25.79658°N 56.11256°E. It can be hard to find, particularly in the dark. The gully is steep and tricky in places. Allow one hour to go down the gully.

Jebel Hila Descent
Jebel Hila Descent

 

When to Climb

Temperatures are pleasant from November to March. There is very little rain. When it does, watch out for flash floods in the wadis. Summers are very hot with temperatures over 40°C. In winter, this climb is in the shade all day.

Camping

There are no campsites but camping is possible just about anywhere away from habitation.

Red Tape

There are no permits required for climbing in the UAE.