Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.95450°N / 74.49989°W
Additional Information County: Hamilton
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2782 ft / 848 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Owl's Head Mountain, for being relatively small, is a great hike for anyone from beginners to the more advanced. Located in Long Lake, NY, this 3.2 mile hike leads to a partially open summit and a fire tower. Both of which offer expansive views, including the High Peaks to the north and the village of Long Lake. The trail takes a quick but short jump in elevation right from the trailhead. This soon levels out and remains this way for a good section of the trip. You will eventually hit the remains of the foundation from the old observer's cabin. From here, the trail can be difficult to spot (at least it was for me, as I did it in the winter) but continues straight past the foundation and will soon begin a slight dip down into a col. The trail hits a spot where you will start the final ascent, breaking off at a sharp right-hand turn. The summit is a great place to stop an enjoy a snack, having a nice clear area accompanied by several viewing cliffs. As with many mountains in the ADK's, the firetower is open and provides excellent 360 degree views of the surrounding area; views that cannot be beat for the amount of work that must be done to reach them.

Getting There

Whether you are traveling north or south, you will first have to turn off of Route 28 onto Route 30 towards Tupper Lake. Once on Route 30, you will turn onto Endion Road (right from Long Lake, left if from Tupper Lake), and follow this for several miles. The trailhead will be a area on the right shoulder.

Red Tape

There are no fees to climb this mountain.

Camping

There is a perfect spot run by Hosse's right in Long Lake. They have a small store and also a small campground. Also, being that you are on state land, you could realistically camp in the woods. See the Department of Environmental Conservation's website for details and regulations.

External Links

Add External Links text here.