Paintings by E. T. Compton

Paintings by E. T. Compton

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Alpine Climbing
'
Edward Theodore Compton (1849-1921) was born in Stoke Newington, England. During the last forty-seven years of his life he lived in the Carinthian Alps. Known equally as a mountaineer and painter, his large output of mountain paintings captured with great clarity and perception the majesty of the alpine peaks and glaciers. His climbing companions were Karl Blodig, the first climber to ascend all the 4000m peaks of the Alps; also Ludwig Purtscheller and Emil Zsigmondy. A mountain hut in Carinthian has been named after him.

Notable first ascents to his name are: Torre di Brenta and S Facd of Cima di Brenta (both 1882). With Blodig he made the first guideless ascent of Aig. Blanche de Peuterey (1905). When he was 70 he made an ascent of Gross Glockner.

The paintings by E. T. Compton shown in this album are all from “Zeitschrift des Deutschen und Österreichischen Alpenvereins” (1895 – 1910).

External Links

Wikipedia
Seven paintings
As #572 Who was he?



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
desainme

desainme - May 3, 2009 11:43 am - Voted 10/10

and I confused this artist

with the Comptons of Augsburger Road Butler County,Wooster Ohio and MIT!

hansw

hansw - May 3, 2009 11:52 am - Hasn't voted

Re: and I confused this artist

But most of the times you get it right:)

Viewing: 1-2 of 2