Palon Cima Alta from Malga Campo

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.94107°N / 10.98788°E
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Palon Cima Alta 1916 m is a minor located in the Trentino Pre-Alps, along the Bondone-Stivo chain. It is situated to the North-East of the Garda Lake in a dominant position above the Valle del Sarca.  More precisely it is interposed between the Sarca valley to the West and the Vallagarina to the East.

The Bondone Group, Canfedin and Paganella on the left seen from Monte Stivo
The Bondone Group with Palon Cima Alta on foreground seen from Monte Stivo

 

Palon Cima Alta is connected to the North to Monte Bondone by a long ridge, while to the South is connected to Monte Stivo with a shorter ridge.  To the South it's facing Monte Altissimo di Nago, the Northern slopes of Monte Baldo and Garda Lake. Despite being a minor peak if compared to the nearby Monte Stivo, Palon Cima Alta deserves to be climbed being one of the most panoramic mountains in Southern Trentino. Moreover it doesn't oppose particular difficulties, but despite these features the summit is not very popular, in favor of the nearby Stivo which is more coveted also because it exceeds the altitude of 2000 meters.

Labelled pano from route to Monte Vignola
Labelled pano from route to Monte Vignola

Getting There

Malga Campo
Malga Campo

 

 

The starting point for the ascent is Malga Campo 1379 m.  Malga Campo can be reached starting from Arco di Trento following the signosts to Dro, here at the crossroads take the right direction to Drena. Reached Drena, proceed for about 2 km east of the village along the provincial road to the crossroads in the locality of Casa del Luch, where a narrow asphalted road of about 5 km with numerous hairpin bends climbs north to Malga Campo di Drena 1379 m, where you leave the car.

 Description

Palon Cima Alta from Malga Campo

Difficulty: EE
Difference in level: 540 m from Malga Campo
Starting point: Malga Campo parking lot 1355 m

A fine and worthwhile itinerary, leading on a panoramic summit 

 

Presanella seen from Malga Campo meadows
Presanella seen from Malga Campo meadows

 

From Malga Campo 1355 m you briefly reach Malga Campo di Arco, then at the crossroads continue towards the NE (left) on the path n. 623 which enters the magnificent beech and larch forest.

Malga Campo di Arco
Malga Campo di Arco
Beech wood over Malga Campo
Beech wood over Malga Campo

 

 

After a few zig zags that shorten the path by cutting the hairpin bends of the road, the path heads South along a long diagonal in the wood.

 

 

 

 

 

At the end of the crossing you exit beyond the edge of the vegetation and cross a meadow, reaching the large saddle of La Bassa Madonnina at 1684 m (signposts), located between the Monte Stivo on the right and the Palon on the left. 

Madonnina La Bassa saddle
Madonnina La Bassa saddle

 

At the saddle, leave the route to Monte Stivo on the right and bear sharply to the left, continuing along the amusing ridge, without difficulty but a little exposed in some points with great view above Sarca Valley.

Sarca Valley walls seen from Palon Cima Alta
Sarca Valley walls seen from Palon Cima Alta

Continue on the ridge passing first Cima Bassa 1705 m, then Cima Alta 1846 m until you reach the Madonnina del Monte Palon and a few tens of meters beyond the Palon summit pole.

Descent: reversing the same itinerary

Palon summit pole
Palon summit pole

Essential Gear

Normal hiking gear 

Red Tape

No fees no permits required

When to climb

Monte Stivo and Palon Cima Alta
Monte Stivo and Palon Cima Alta in wintertime

 

 

 

All year round. In wintertime in the presence of snow or ice the ridge between Cima Bassa and the summit may require specific equipment (crampons and ice axe) 

Where to stay

Several possibilities of accomodation in Arco, Dro, Drena and surroundings.

Bibliography and maps

Kompass 687 - 1.25.000
LagirAlpina sheet 15 - Valle del Sarca - 1:25.000

Meteo forecast

Meteo Trentino