Panorama spanning from Tindaborg to Hvannadalshnúkur

Panorama spanning from Tindaborg to Hvannadalshnúkur

We're somewhere between 1500 and 1600 m on a relatively flat area of the Svínafellsjökull glacier, less than a kilometer southwest of Tindaborg (1695m) and a couple of kilometers northwest of Hvannadalshnúkur (2110m). Tonight we plan to camp just northeast of Hvannadalshnúkur at almost 1900 m, near the saddle with Snæbreið (2041m) (not visible). Depending on when we get there and how tired we are, we thought we might climb Hvannadalshnúkur or Snæbreið today, but by now we know that that's not going to happen. On the bright side, this is the first time that we get a close view of both Tindaborg and Hvannadalshnúkur. First of all, up until now we didn't know if the route between Tindaborg and Hvannadalshnúkur would be too steep, in which case we would have to go around Tindaborg. By the looks of it that won't be necessary. Secondly, I'm liking the ramp starting at the saddle and leading directly up to Hvannadalshnúkur. That wasn't our planned route, but from here it certainly looks like a contender. 18 May 2017.
rgg
on Jun 25, 2017 7:48 am
Image Type(s): Alpine Climbing,  Scenery,  Panorama
Image ID: 1002216

Comments

No comments posted yet.