Viewing: 1-12 of 12
Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - Jul 3, 2008 10:26 pm - Voted 10/10

Now I am really piling on...

The lat and long are off on this one too. Again, great page. I am nominating this one to be a featured page, not that it will do much good. I don't think the elves are listening to me these days...

Dan the Jones

Dan the Jones - Jul 6, 2008 11:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Now I am really piling on...

Thanks man thanks. But again are you recommending that the long and lat be changed to a certain peak in the wilderness area as opposed to random point in the wilderness?

Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - Jul 7, 2008 12:25 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Now I am really piling on...

Either a random point or a certain peak is fine by me. I just thought the lat/long point is outside the wilderness boundary. The satellite map looks like it is on a ranch. The Cabezon lat/long is on Highway 44, east of the Cabezon area. I am REALLY not trying to be annoying. I think they are great pages on great areas.

Dan the Jones

Dan the Jones - Jul 7, 2008 11:26 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Now I am really piling on...

I appreciate you looking out for my pages - I will make those long/lats better suited for the pages. Thanks again.

jfrishmanIII

jfrishmanIII - Sep 1, 2008 11:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Nice, but...

The page is not bad (though a little copy editing would be nice), but there's really quite a bit more that I would like to see here. At the very least, the access information needs to be fleshed out, particularly as regards the Truchas land grant, vandalism issues at Borrego Mesa, and east side access. Some management agency contacts would be an easy addition. Perhaps some info on the trail network; maybe some suggested backpacking itineraries. And it would be really nice to see some discussion of geology and history. There is a good book specifically on the geology of the upper Pecos available, though its title escapes me at the moment. And history really effects hikers' access to the area, particularly around Truchas. The Pecos also has some noteworthy cultural significance to the Pueblos.

Just a few suggestions that could bring this one above and beyond the bare bones. It's an area that deserves a thorough treatment.

Dan the Jones

Dan the Jones - Sep 5, 2008 7:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice, but...

Thanks for the great suggestions! You have provided some great ideas for me to work off of. I look forward to improving this page to make it far and beyond the usual on SP. Thanks again.

jfrishmanIII

jfrishmanIII - Sep 5, 2008 8:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice, but...

I'll look forward to it!

Dan the Jones

Dan the Jones - Dec 9, 2008 6:25 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice, but...

Were you able to ever remember that book on the geology of the pecos area? Also I have searched and searched for info on the Truchas land grant, you have any suggestions for routes to pursue?

jfrishmanIII

jfrishmanIII - Dec 13, 2008 12:09 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice, but...

The book is "Trail Guide to the Geology of the Upper Pecos" by Patrick Sutherland, published by NM State Bureau of Mines and Mineral Resources. Again, The Travel Bug in Santa Fe usually has a couple on the shelf. I imagine there's probably some place in ABQ that would stock it too, or there are used copies on Amazon.

As for the land grant, I'd start by at least trying to verify/update the info on the S. Truchas Peak page. Maybe someone at the Espanola Ranger District would feel helpful. For land grant history, I'd try a good public library. I've been seeing a book around called "River of Traps" which is an old timer's memoir of life in Las Trampas: might be worth checking out.

The page has made some good progress since I last looked!

Dan the Jones

Dan the Jones - Dec 16, 2008 1:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice, but...

Great I will look for those titles at some local places in the next few days/months. Thanks again for your suggestions and for your help.

Dan the Jones

Dan the Jones - Apr 30, 2009 6:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice, but...

I found a book at B&B about the land grants in Truchas, it was well over 100 pages - I might leave that info out now.

cwardle - Sep 11, 2023 7:43 pm - Hasn't voted

This needs updating

This entire Wilderness Area was completely burned last year (2022)

Viewing: 1-12 of 12
Return to 'Pecos Wilderness Area' main page