Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 20.4026°S / 41.0235°W
Additional Information County: Domingos Martins
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5977 ft / 1822 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Resume

The Pedra Azul State Park ( Parque Estadual da Pedra Azul – PEPA ) was created to protect the natural rock formations of Espírito Santo state, in Brazilian Southeast Region. The park was founded in 1992 and the trip must be accompanied by guides. Pedra Azul ( 1822m ), Pedra das Flores ( 1900m ) and The Lizard ( 1610m ), in prominence and connected with Pedra Azul, are the main mountains of PEPA. This group is possible to see from a distance, how from BR-262, the federal highway that connects the capitals Belo Horizonte and Vitória.



South ranges of Espírito Santo. Pedra Azul State Park is the NE range from the ES South border. Caparaó National Park ( Pico da Bandeira ) is the highest range at the left side ( W ).

Overview

Incredible ! Pedra Azul is one of the most impressive gnaisse blocks in Brazil, How Pão de Açucar and Monte Mourão, both in Rio de Janeiro. With 1822m, Pedra Azul and The Lizard, are the same block but, there are a diference about this mountains : The Lizard is the last fragment of granite close with Pedra Azul. Pedra Azul in ancient times, was a volcano and, after many eruptions, granite covered the gnaisse.
Pedra das Flores is in the SW side from Pedra Azul .
The Lizard is in the Pedra Azul North Wall.
Pedra Azul has grayish color and it is covered by algae and mushrooms, for that, depending on the angle that the sun shines on the stone, it gets greenish or blued. It is a beautiful show. Lichen growth provides the rock's beautiful hue which transforms dramatically as the sun and clouds go by throughout the day.
From Pedra Azul is possible to see Caparaó National Park ( west – 110 km ) and the Atlantic Ocean ( East – 90 km) and the lights of the capital – Vitória, at the coastline.

Getting There

PEPA is located in Areçê district of Domingos Martins town, 90 km from Vitória. Driving by BR-262, go to West, to Belo Horizonte direction. Arriving in Domingos Martins, seek the plates indicating the road to PEPA. The trailhead is at the NE side of the Azul’s summit. The first part of the trail have 1,5 km of a steep way to The Pools. The Pools are a group of 9 natural pools, the last water point. The way to the summit route is straight ahead this point. The climbing in Pedra Azul is forbidden, because the plants, bromélias, orchids, lichen and mushrooms, are protected by state laws. PEPA is the last paradise of many species of some examples. But there are one way to get the summit that, if you conect the Park with antecedent ( 10 days ), PEPA permits the climbing with a local guide, in order to preservation, by the East col, the opposite of the Lizard’s side. This is a 5 class route, with many adherence. The route have around 400m of unevennes. I advise to use a climbing equipment. Arriving on the summit, the overview is great, and the top of Pedra Azul is big and has a rounded form up there.
MSN Mappoint – Domingos Martins – Pedra Azul..
The bus line that connects Vitória to Domingos Martins is Aguia Branca. Viação Águia Branca site
Vitória X Domingos Martins : US$ 3 - 2 buses per day.

If you go to Pedra Azul by car, take this way to Domingos Martins from Vitória.

Why is forbidden climb Pedra Azul ?
The prohibited access on the top was proclaim to the preservation wildlife, turning the bromélias flowers and orchids, untouchable. The designation n° 312 of December 31, 1961, turned Pedra Azul Group in Forest Research. The law n° 4503 of January 2, 1991, turned the research in Pedra Azul State Park ( PEPA ).

Red Tape

To visit Pedra Azul State Park, the group should to comunicate to the Pedra Azul’s Office about the trip plan , how many days stay there and, the number of visitors.
US$ 2 per visitor/ per day;
Parking car inside the State Park;
Liquid Fuel , guns and knives isn’t permit.
Pedra Azul State Park telephone number : 0 55 21 27 3248 1156 ( 08:00 – 17:00 Mon/Fri ).

When To Climb

The best season to go to Pedra Azul region is at Winter. The temperatures are very low and the days are very dry and clear at winter months. At Summer, rains hard because there are a giant forest close the mountains and, the humidity is very high.

What to Climb?

Pedra Azul have many routes to be discovered. But the most impressive natural monument in Pedra Azul State Park is, Pedra do Lagarto ( The Lizard ). An incredible granite tower at the Pedra Azul's North Wall

Camping

There aren’t camping areas inside the park but, many little inns and resting houses could offer comfort and well-being with hot showers, dinner and peace after the mountaineering. It’s advisable !
links of hotels near Pedra Azul

Mountain Conditions

There aren't sites or webcams of Pedra Azul.

Domingos Martins Current Weather
Weather – Domingos Martins


Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Baarb

Baarb - Aug 16, 2009 5:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Spelling correction

In English, the Portuguese term 'gnaisse' is spelled 'gneiss'. Also, this doesn't seem to be a volcano from what I've read here, there is no evidence for extrusive activity, but rather uplifted intrusive and metamorphic rocks. Also, from what I know there are no volcanoes on the Brazilian mainland at all as it is too far from the Peru-Chile Trench.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1