PeekaBoo and Spooky Gulch Slot Canyon, Grand Staircase Escalante NM

PeekaBoo and Spooky Gulch Slot Canyon, Grand Staircase Escalante NM

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Sep 8, 2015
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

PeekaBoo Spooky Gulch
PeekaBoo and Spooky Gulch Slot Canyon

Wanted to see some slot canyons in beautiful Grand Staircase Escalante NM. We got up early to make our way again on the Hole in the Rock Road and get to tht trailhead for Peek a Boo. The weather was very warm once more, so we brought plenty of water. We parked the car in a parking lot, a bit away from the actual trailhead. We were happy doing that, as the last strech of the road is really impassable even with a semi SUV as we had with us. It adds about one mile to the trip, but you are able to enjoy fine vistas of the surroundings. From the second parking lot, the actual trip to the canyons starts by going downwards into the canyon.

Although going downwards, we already notice the warmth and drink plenty of water. Interestingly enough, as Peek a Boo Slot Canyon is so popular, there are several more travellers on their way. We were surprised to see that some people believe they can undertake a hike in the dessert with half a liter of water in their hands and nothing more. Anyway, we moved on and came to the entrance of Peek a Boo Canyon. In order to get to the canyon itself, you need to climb and least two meters. But doing that is really worth all effort! We spent a lot of time in beautiful Peek a Boo going up to the end of Canyon, then retracing our steps to the entrance.

We still had some time left that day, and we decided to explore the wash a bit more in eastern direction. There the wash narrowed beautifully once more and then gave way again. We turned left and came upon wonderful sand dunes and yellow wild flowers. This was a magical place to visit and we were happy to have the wash fully to ourselves so late in the day. As we wanted to make sure to return to the car before dark, we had to turn around but we were very satified with this day!

More pictures can be found under: 

http://obrknochi.com/gsenm-peek-a-boo-and-spooky-slot-canyon/




Comments

No comments posted yet.