Viewing: 1-17 of 17
Dean

Dean - Dec 6, 2008 7:29 am - Voted 10/10

Nice start

It looks like this will be a very nice addition to SP. I traveled
through the Philmont ranch on my way from Colorado to Taos and I was surprised at how nice the area was. Having heard about Philmont from my brother who spent some time there, I was sorry I didn't have more time to explore. On Wheeler Peak, I met 5 team members (staff) from Philmont who were using their day off to climb New Mexico's highest peak and if I remember correctly, one of the staff members was from Temecula (where my sister lives).

Alex Wood

Alex Wood - Dec 6, 2008 12:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice start

Thanks! I had tried to start it awhile back but couldn't find the time. It is an amazing area, different and unique from other places. Oh cool! I hope to be doing alot of that next year (climbing and hiking on the days off) while I staff there. Oh really? thats cool. Cheers!

woodsxc

woodsxc - Dec 20, 2008 1:28 pm - Voted 10/10

Props

Gotta rep the BSA. I've never been (too expensive) but everyone I know has loved it. Nice page. Thanks for posting.

Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron - Dec 21, 2008 1:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Props

Thanks, Woodscx. Definitely something every Scout and Scouter needs on their bucket list. --mark d.

Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron - Dec 21, 2008 9:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Memories

When I was last there at the training center they wouldn't let the participants climb the Tooth--but Uracca Mesa was open. I've seen that view from Touch-Me-Not--Baldy looks oh-so-close, doesn't it? Anyway, don't overlook signing the climbing log--you'll have to scroll down near the bottom of the Philmont page to the "Have You Been to Philmont?" section for a link. --mark d.

John Kirk

John Kirk - Dec 30, 2008 1:41 pm - Voted 10/10

Good Info

I've always been disappointed that this area is private - should be open to everyone without the need for an itinerary...

Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron - Dec 30, 2008 3:44 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good Info

Each year, thousands of Scouts will be disappointed to not succeed in securing a slot to trek Philmont. With 3,000 folks on treks on any given summer day, as well as fall and winter programs, I'm not certain how they could possibly manage a higher usage rate. That said, there are certain programs that I've heard of that are open to large donors to the Boy Scouts of America. Either that, or become a volunteer and go with a local troop or council contingent. --mark d.

John Kirk

John Kirk - Dec 30, 2008 6:49 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Good Info

Thanks,

In reality the privatization is the cause for the high usage. The area would be much less impacted and easier for anyone to enjoy sans the scout ranch. Just my opinion...

Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron - Dec 31, 2008 7:57 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Good Info

That's a good point; I think you're right. However, because of that privatization many young men will be exposed to the outdoors in a way that would never have happened had Philmont not existed. For many, even some who state it here on SP, this is the start of a long love with the wilderness. Some even describe Philmont as a life-altering experience. I think the good that comes from that offsets the fact that 137,000 acres of the U.S. is limited to registered Scouts and Scouters on official itineraries. BTW, John, you have some remarkably good photographs. Thanks very much for sharing them! --mark d.

shanrickv

shanrickv - Dec 31, 2008 9:50 am - Voted 10/10

Great page!

Well done, guys. While I have never been to Philmont, I have heard great things about the place. I have always regretted my son losing interest in the Scouts. Baseball, guitar and snowboarding have taken their place, so I can't complain.
Climb On!
Patrick

Alex Wood

Alex Wood - Dec 31, 2008 11:34 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great page!

Thanks! It is a really amazing place. Going to Philmont definitely helped me take more of an interest in hiking and climbing. Thanks for your comments!

nartreb

nartreb - Jan 5, 2009 5:08 pm - Hasn't voted

history section must go

see copyright thread

Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron - Jan 6, 2009 8:41 am - Hasn't voted

Re: history section must go

I think you're being overly strict in your interpretation of the GFDL license in that thread. Please see my comment there. --mark d.

RyanS

RyanS - Sep 24, 2009 8:06 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice work, with one suggestion

The third paragraph of your opening section seems redundant. Perhaps consolidate the first and third paragraphs?

Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron - Sep 25, 2009 8:38 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice work, with one suggestion

You're right! I've edited it. Thanks for looking and commenting. --mark d.

Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - Sep 30, 2012 5:51 pm - Voted 10/10

Pure Nostalgia

I made a few trips to Philmont when I was a Scout. I can't wait to go back with my son (He just turned 3, still a long ways off)! Thanks for putting the work into this page.

mdaberk - Aug 19, 2019 8:27 pm - Hasn't voted

A few small corrections

In the body of your nice page, you have the 1942 bomber crash listed as being 2 eagle scouts... one was an eagle scout the other was perhaps a Star scout.
Later you list the bar S as the cattle brand, it is the horse brand; and the bar PS is listed as the horse brand.
Could you reverse these to correct them?
On Cavalcade we had a great adventure this summer 2019 on horses on a northern route. We had scouts from Egypt, Berlin, and Lincoln, NE with us on our crew. Cavalcade is a lot of work, as you do some feeding, curry horses, saddle them, etc. I also wonder if anyone has information about the grave at Miranda camp where the white picket fence and wooden cross grave is. Thanks. We heard it is a miner's wife.. just cannot find it in writing anywhere so far.

Viewing: 1-17 of 17
Return to 'Philmont Scout Ranch' main page