Scandinavian adventure

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
norm79

Scandinavian adventure

by norm79 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:15 pm

Hello all...

We are in the process of planning a trip to sample Norway, Sweden and possibly Finland this summer and are after some advice, tips and ideas... We're looking to travel around by train and bus, arriving probably in Oslo and departing two weeks later (possibly from Tampere?) We would like to walk in the mountains, possibly climb one or two..? And experience the places and cultures (not just the usual tourist traps)!

So...
    Must see places?
    Things to do?
    Hostels, huts?
    Cheap eats?
    Travel options?

Also, what sort of temperatures should we expect in July, August time. We were planning on Hostels or Huts rather than camping this time - save carrying tents and sleeping bags... But open to suggestions!

Over to you guys...:D

Jamie (& Helen)

aec

Scandinavian adventure

by aec » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:37 pm

A simply amazing part of the world....

The Kungsleden trail in Sweden is a must as is Sarek around Ahkka (access via Ritsem) but if you are pushed for time you can walk into Kebnekaise Fjallstation and do some walks/mountaineering from there.

In Norway: Lofoten a mecca for climbing and the Tromso area great for walking (Lyngen Alps and Kvaloya).

See http://www.svenskaturistforeningen.se/ for hostels in Sweden.

Go prepared for mosquitos that can pierce reindeer hide and are in the thousands and 24 hour daylight!

Happy to help more if you PM me.

norm79

by norm79 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:13 pm

Thanks for the tips - they are all useful and appreciated!

We did think that it would be difficult to do all three in 2 weeks - Thanks for confirming that.

Hopefully our practice in Scotland (land of the long black buzzing cloud) will help with the mosquitoes/midges!!! :wink:

Is travelling between places (train or bus) reasonably easy. We've heard that Norwegian public transport rivals Switzerland..!!

Cheers... Keep them coming!

Jamie & Helen
:D

no avatar
alexey

by alexey » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:21 pm

Hi!
I rather agree with the advice to limit your trip to one area, otherwise you might spend quite some time on trains and buses. Visiting Northern Sweden and Norway is rather easy logistically - fly to Kiruna or Narvik (check out sas.com, norwegian.no and flynordic.se) and use the ground transportation therafter. I believe Kiruna via Stockholm is the cheapest option. Ground (and ferry) transportation network is usually good, but the ferry prices in Norway can be somewhat steep. Once there, the areas to visit are:
Sarek and Ahkka - said to be the last wild area in western Europe, no huts, no mobile coverage, long valleys, rather big glaciers - that is, takes some time to walk in and out of the Sarek national park, but is definitely worth it.
Kebnekaise area - more "civilised", just ab. 4-5 hrs walk from the bus stop at Nikkaluokta to Kebnekaise mountain station, which is a good starting point for plenty of tours. Alternatively, a classic trek from Abisko to Nikkaluokta through Kebnekaise area usually takes between 5 and 7 days and can be varied to include some higher passes and/or peaks.
Lofoten Islands - actually, one can spend two weeks there without getting bored - hiking, fishing and, yes, CLIMBING of all kinds.
Esfjord and Stetind area, about 1-1,5 hr by car south of Narvik. Stetind is Norway's national mountain, and justly so, the normal route is just a little more than a scramble.
Please feel free to mail if you need more info.

Ski Mountaineer

by Ski Mountaineer » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:54 pm

Again: Go north - Narvik as starting point is perfect. The weather is a bit less dependable than in the south, but the area is smaller and you can do/see much more in less time.

I recommend Lofoten (can be drier than the mainland), Svartisen (as impressive as the glaciers in the south) and the area around Narvik (Stetind, Frostisen, Storsteinsfjellet, etc); if you want it quiter, head to Sulitjelma or Saltfjell (there the weather is drier too).

If you do decide to go to the south - I liked Sunnmørsalpene a lot, but overall, the North is where to go.

no avatar
amorpheus

by amorpheus » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:16 pm

I'm not sure if bumping old threads is considered a normal practice here at SP anyway my question is more or less the same as the first post in this thread.

I'm thinking about heading for Northern Scandinavia (Sweden&Norway) in the middle of June this year as I'll be in Stockholm anyway at that time.

Thinking for Sarek area for 3-4 days then going back to Kiruna then to Narvik in Norway.
From Narvik going probably to Lofoten and Esfjord and Stetind area for another 3-4 days.
Then back to Narvik - Kiruna - Stockholm. I can extend the trip with a few more days if needed.

So a few questions arise in my mind:

- am I missing something interesting that deserves more attention than the ones above? :)
(I'm not a climber, thinking for hiking places only)

- There should be some snow at the highest places and and a good amount of mosquitoes probably. And a lot of water, esp. in Sarek should that be a problem?

- What temperatures are normal for these lands in the middle of June, I saw smth like 4-5 degrees Celsius above zero at worst at night, is that correct?

Thanks in advance,
Radoslav

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:06 am

wow. That photo is sensational!

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:45 am

What time of year was that? I went skiing in Norway in February 2006. I'd never been so far North before! The sun didn't rise and go across the sky like it does in more southern climes. It would get light around 6 am, then later the sun would inscribe an arc in the southern sky, then stay light long after it was gone. wow

isostatic

by isostatic » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:31 pm

The resurrection of this thread starts me wondering what actually happened with that trip of norm79 to Scandinavia in the summer of 2008?

no avatar
amorpheus

by amorpheus » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:00 pm

I must admit I was totally wrong about places and distances.
Fortunately this thing here helped:

I'll stick to Kebnekaise/Nallo/Vistasvaggi area for about a week/10 days.

Thanks for the tips.
Last edited by amorpheus on Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
amorpheus

-

by amorpheus » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:05 pm

Spent a few days in Abisko area, spent a few days on Moskenes island, spent the rest travelling, still very happy :)
pictures incoming

Return to Europe