Collaboration initiative

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Vid Pogachnik
Forum Moderator

Collaboration initiative

by Vid Pogachnik » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:13 am

As most of you know, I have a privilege to be one of SP elves. Here is a proposal, where I am willing to do some additional work, if you agree:

The proposal is to move SP towards a kind of a site, where many people could have editing rights. Similar as Wikipedia. Those of you, owners of pages, who agree with this idea, please answer on this thread with the agreement statement. That would mean that I will grant editing rights to other members without asking you for a special approval again. I will inform you, of course. Remember - only editing rights. You still remain owners and can change the rights of members. I believe this way maintenance and positive changes on pages will occur more often.

For example: Today I saw good contribution (pictures) of Detmolder Grat route. If the owner of the route page (Bor) would be on my list of those who agree, I would give the guy who recently did the route and posted pictures (Amsti), editing rights automatically, and informing both of the change.

My intent is to use this very conservatively in the beginning. Let's try how it works.

To be the first one - I offered elsewhere to give editing rights to everybody who shows interest for it. Now I'm saying again - I am for this kind og Wiki concept introduction.

Your thoughts, please!
Vid

Gabriele Roth

by Gabriele Roth » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:56 am

edit
I gave editing/admin/ownership rights of some of my pages to others : almost nothing has been done to improve the pages ...

in my profile page there's : "I've already given away the ownership of 10 pages of mine to well knowers, if you think you can improve my pages send me an email ... " none asked me about it

I hope your idea will win :)
Last edited by Gabriele Roth on Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

no avatar
Mihai Tanase

Re: Collaboration initiative

by Mihai Tanase » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:00 am

Vid Pogachnik wrote: Your thoughts, please! Vid

Despite my very modest contribution I agree this idea :wink:

nattfodd

by nattfodd » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:29 pm

I very much agree! I regularly see pages which haven't been edited in a long time, and to which I could add useful information, but the process of obtaining edit rights takes so much time that I rarely bother. I think that if SP was turned into a wiki, or something close to it (you could restrict full edit rights to any page to people who have proved to be trustworthy and create good content), then the quality and usefulness of the site would greatly increase.

I don't have much yet, but you can add me to the play-nice-list.

radson

by radson » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:42 pm

I think this is long overdue.

Vid Pogachnik
Forum Moderator

by Vid Pogachnik » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:25 pm

Lolli wrote:I assume one can delete the person, if one disagrees?

Lolli, you can not delete a person, but you as the page owner can take him away editing rights.

Vid Pogachnik
Forum Moderator

by Vid Pogachnik » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:28 pm

Borut Kantušer wrote:The problem is that an editor has the right to delete History versions. The editor might out and out change everything and delete any (or all) former version(s) of a page. If the owner or administrator doesn't have a private copy of the page, the content seems then as definitely lost, IMHO.

That's right, Borut. But why should people do so? Do you know any such case so far? And, as a page owner, I have copies of all my pages on my computer. Only not allways updated, of course. Hm?

Moni

by Moni » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:47 pm

Perhaps there should a fifth option under Change Privileges - where if you click on it, everyone has limited editing rights. Then the owner can control things if it gets out of hand or decide which pages he/she wants to open up and which not.

Vid Pogachnik
Forum Moderator

by Vid Pogachnik » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:03 pm

OK, this discussion slowly faded away.
Actually, I have a better proposal, which is - to do nothing. So, instead of me doing the administration (which I hate anyway), all those of you who agreed with my proposal simply give editing rights to people who can contribute. May be this thread raised a little the awareness of importance to allow others to contribute directly. If so, I'm satisfied. Thanks for participating!

rpc

by rpc » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:21 pm

I like Moni's option. If I actually put in the effort to build a beta page, I do NOT want anyone else doing any editing on it -- they can make recommendations for edits & I will (if I think they're right) put them in. Sorry Vid - I am opposed to this idea for my pages (but whoever wants it, should have the option to do so, i.e. Moni's proposal).

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:03 pm

I think most of the stuff needed to improve the pages is already here. The main problems are 1) locating "gone missing" authors and 2) when people refuse to cede control of a page, but won't answer comments, especially those related to outdated data or fairly obvious incorrect data.

Sebastian Hamm

by Sebastian Hamm » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:07 am

Let's try, I am on your list! 8)

chris.mueller

by chris.mueller » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:45 pm

I´m on the list as well.

Baarb

by Baarb » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:01 pm

I think the 'Additions/Corrections' section is enough, or for someone to PM the page owner with a particular section of text or html if they strongly feel something extra is needed. They can always be attributed on the page for doing so (I've seen this done before).

The problem I see with joint-editing capabilities is contention over what the 'best' way of arranging things is or descriptions or whatever. I can see X being bothered that Y revoked their privileges etc even though X thought their way was better than Ys.

visentin

by visentin » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:27 pm

the most bothering is when you propose to someone to contribute to a page and get no answer while you see that "last connection date" of the guy is still changing ...

Next

Return to Europe