Vasque M-Possible boots

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
tigerstyle

Vasque M-Possible boots

by tigerstyle » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:58 am

I'm trying to pick up my first pair of alpine boots and I have been looking at these and the La Sportiva Trango Evo's. I'll mainly be doing stuff along the lines of Rainier and Orizaba, and I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with these shoes and if they would be good for glacier travel since they are more of an ice climbing shoe.

no avatar
nhluhr

by nhluhr » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:19 pm

The Sportivas and the Vasques have very different foot shapes that they'll work for.

Also, the BOA is nice and easy but it can also be annoying at times and it's almost impossible to adjust tension on the forefoot independently from the ankle area.

Personally, the Sportivas fit my feet better. I have a lower volume foot for my size and my ankle/heel area will float a lot in the vasques. In the sportivas, there's lots of extra padding/cupping around the heel/achiles which does a much better job on my foot.

My M-Possibles are for sale. Size 14.

JHH60

by JHH60 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:10 am

If you're talking about the LS Trango Evo S, it's more of an alpine rock boot as it's uninsulated and therefore light, has no front lip which is good for rock climbing but means you can't use step-in crampons, and fairly stiff but not as stiff as many ice boots. IIRC the M Possibles are step in compatible, a bit stiffer, and are insulated. Trango Evos can handle ice and snow in summer but probably not warm enough for multiple days in those conditions (I have seen photos of a friend's frostbite-blackened toes from three days on Liberty Ridge in Trango Evo S). I've got a pair of the Evo S and while I love their light weight and performance it took me a while to get used to the idea that they are basically a disposable boot.

gobriango

by gobriango » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:40 pm

nhluhr wrote:The Sportivas and the Vasques have very different foot shapes that they'll work for.

Also, the BOA is nice and easy but it can also be annoying at times and it's almost impossible to adjust tension on the forefoot independently from the ankle area.

Personally, the Sportivas fit my feet better. I have a lower volume foot for my size and my ankle/heel area will float a lot in the vasques. In the sportivas, there's lots of extra padding/cupping around the heel/achiles which does a much better job on my foot.

My M-Possibles are for sale. Size 14.

are these still for sale ???

no avatar
nhluhr

by nhluhr » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:26 pm

nope, sorry. Sold them a week ago to a gent in BC. I do have some Lowa Civettas in 14 though :-P

alleyehave

by alleyehave » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:17 am

Although I love the Trango Evo's I have...the point that was already made about them not being insulated IS an issue. Late spring conditions only. Realize you are definitely sacrificing comfort for weight here...My toe's got extremely cold with crampons on multiple trips...

They rock, but be careful when and where you tread with them...

PS: I have only tried the M-possibles on..they seem nice, except the BOA created a pressure point that was intolerable...

Return to Gear