Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

100 Years of Scouting in the USA

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Postby RickF » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:41 am

I bagged my first peak on a weekend trip with the BSA. Here's the info entered into my log of summit attempts:

Peak: Mt. San Gorgonio
Elevation: 11,499 ft.
Date: 8/15/1969
Route: Dry Lake Trail
Successfully reached the summit with Boy Scout Troop 1001 (Beatitudes of our Lord School) Old Trailhead was at the end of Poop-out Hill Road, camped at Dry Lake two nights, first peak!!!
RickF

Scouting through and through

Postby silversummit » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:10 am

Started camping with the Girl Scouts when I was eight; worked in Girl Scout summer camps all through college leading 10 day and longer backpacking trips along the east coast. My dad was a Scoutmaster so the whole family did scouting, camping and loved the out of doors.

When my son joined Webelos I moved up into Boy Scouts right with him. It was a wonderful seven years as he worked his way up to Eagle. I still camp with the troop sometimes and I love summer camp!

I always tell the kids I work with in Scouts that they might not stay in Scouting but that I hope they take away some of the good times and skills they have learned! I know I have!!!
silversummit

Postby wkriesel » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:10 am

I made it to 1st class at 12 years old, but my Dad got a job in Nigeria in 1965 and that was the end of my youth experience.
My 2 boys entered BSA as Tigers in 1997, crossed over to Scouts in 2002 and got their Eagles in 2008 and 2009.
This is the best experience of my life!!
Before going to Philmont I lost 30 pounds. After, we have summited So. Sister, Longs Peak and others, plus long sections of the AT .
Since then I have summited Aconcagua, Mt Blanc, Mauna Loa and others. The next big one is Denali. Mt Washington and Rainier are training trips that I look forward to.
It all started with those weekend training hikes on the AT, getting in shape for Philmont.
Cheers
wkriesel

Postby DanielWade » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:27 am

I'm an Eagle Scout from a very active troop. Now I return the favor by taking kids from my old troop out to Joshua Tree.
DanielWade

Postby Sierra Ledge Rat » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:40 am

Y-Indian Guides
Boy Scouts
Civil Air Patrol

It was the Civil Air Patrol "ranger" training and survival school that got me into roped climbing, er, rappelling. Climbing came later.
Sierra Ledge Rat

Postby Roam Around » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:47 pm

Joined Cub Scouts with best friend in grade school and stayed a very active member until earned the Eagle awar and then became an Asst. Scoutmaster as a young adult. I've been a Den Leader and Scoutmaster since then. It's given me a lot thruout my life and I'm glad to have been involved. If the troop is active and well run (by the boys) it can be an incredible experience for a kid.
Roam Around

Postby Roam Around » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:05 am

did my very first ever backpacking trip in Philmont, and first encounter with a rope their as well - rapelling. First time I ever saw the Rockies which were pretty impressive to a kid from the West TN river bottoms.
Roam Around

Postby Mike Zastoupil » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:52 pm

I was a Cub Scout and a Boy Scout. I worked at a summer camp for a few years. Camp Big Horn, Lake Arrowhead Scout Camp, OA member. This is where I learned to tie knots, pack a backpack and climbed my first peak. I did a trip to Philmont, great memories. I became an adult leader when my son joined. Eagles Scout and a Marine.

Happy Birthday BSA and Thank you Lord Baden Powell
Mike Zastoupil

Postby thigbee » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:09 pm

Honestly, I hated scouts. It was too rigid and organized and fake.

I got my Eagle at 14 because my mom made me. I think that if I had grown up in a more outdoor-oriented area (I was in Dallas), my experiences might have been different.
thigbee

Postby mrh » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:22 pm

thigbee wrote:Honestly, I hated scouts. It was too rigid and organized and fake.

I got my Eagle at 14 because my mom made me. I think that if I had grown up in a more outdoor-oriented area (I was in Dallas), my experiences might have been different.

A lot of mothers are behind Eagles. Unfortunately in some cases I know, they actually did most of the work.
mrh

Postby mconnell » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:09 pm

surfnturf wrote:Tried Junior Lifeguards in lieu of Boy Scouts. Made it all of a week... bad choice in hindsight. Became a juevenile delinquent instead. Good times 8)

From what I remember, I spent most of Cub Scouts in "timeout" because I spent most of my time trying to pick up the girl scouts... I bought a lot of cookies... :? :oops: :twisted:

:lol: :lol: Our Scout troop met across the street from the Girl Scouts on the same night. Across the street in the other direction was a wooded lot. That might have a lot to do with why I enjoyed Scouts so much...
mconnell

Postby Arthur Digbee » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:46 pm

thigbee wrote:Honestly, I hated scouts. It was too rigid and organized and fake.

That's why I couldn't keep either of my kids interested. Today's kids see through things that we used to swallow.

truchas wrote:It's sad that liberal activists are out to destroy the Scouts nowadays. I hope they survive.

I'm sure liberal activists will survive. :wink:

Life's more complicated than stereotypes:
Again (1) I was an Eagle Scout and had a great experience; (2) I tried to get my kids involved but failed; and (3) think that Scouting's policy on gays is misguided and hurts the organization. On point (3), it's made me volunteer elsewhere, though if my kids had enjoyed it (see 2) I would have stuck with it.
Arthur Digbee

PreviousNext

Return to General