14er snow conditions for first time CO. hiker?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
TDC

14er snow conditions for first time CO. hiker?

by TDC » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:48 pm

Hi all,

I am going to Breckenridge for the first time with the fam. June 15-20. I've never hiked in Colorado and would like to hike up Quandry Peak while there (just me, no kids). I backpack and hike up class 2/3 peaks in the Sierra every year but I have never been in CO. Any ideas on what snow would be like on Quandry during that week? Do I need to pack crampons and axe? (I know how to use them). Any info/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Todd C

Matt Lemke

Re: 14er snow conditions for first time CO. hiker?

by Matt Lemke » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:07 pm

Here's a TR from May 26th...

http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=13528

should be quite a bit less snow by June 20th but certainly some still around. The trail gets heavy use so there will likely be steps where ever the trail is so as long as you are comfortable hiking on snow in places you should be fine. Trekking poles help.

Kiefer

Re: 14er snow conditions for first time CO. hiker?

by Kiefer » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:23 am

Pretty much what Matt said.
Leave the crampons & axe at home. Not necessary on Quandary unless you're doing a coully. Trail conditions will probably be spotty.
Boots and poles will be all you'll need. I can see bringing microspikes but that should be all.

Return to Colorado