17 year old youngest ever to climb the 7 summits

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
jordansahls

by jordansahls » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:46 pm

There have been many studies on the effects of intense sports and training in young athletes. I wonder what developmental effects could be associated with the altitude that some of these kids are reaching. My guess it it cant be good. Oh well, that wouldn't stop me.

Patrick B

by Patrick B » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:32 am

Snowslogger wrote:Somebody's daddy's got
$$$$$$$$$$

yeah man

and in a year? thats fast

JackCarr

by JackCarr » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:13 pm

Good for him, but wow this has become such a ridiculous challenge, now only realistically achievable with a crap load of money.

I feel sorry for the kid really, because right now he's on top of the world, but soon someone a few months younger will do it and he'll just be a nobody again.

Pessimism over :)

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:47 pm

It certainly doesn't say much for this notion of climbers being a tribe that we take such delight in trashing the achievements of others and questioning their motives. I have no real interest in climbing Everest or going on any other guided climb, but why should I dump on some kid who did?

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:20 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:It certainly doesn't say much for this notion of climbers being a tribe that we take such delight in trashing the achievements of others and questioning their motives. I have no real interest in climbing Everest or going on any other guided climb, but why should I dump on some kid who did?

Eloquently put! I keep seeing this picture of dogs circling a yard, peeing on other dogs' marks.

Gahugafuga

by Gahugafuga » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:53 pm

Nobody is getting rich working for Snowbird Ski Resort other than the owner and the CEO. That a son would develop the same passion that drove his father to pursue a life and career in the mountains shouldn't be considered odd.

Johnny Collinson is considered to be one of the top freeskiers in the country beneath the age of 18. See p.85 of the most recent Powder magazine if you don't believe me. He has the undivided attention of more than enough outdoor companies to make this happen without a dime from his parents.

Vic Hanson

by Vic Hanson » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:48 pm

Why is it considered so strange the kids like to do what their parents do? More power to the parents that allow their kids to go with them on hikes, climbing, biking or whatever. I took both of my kids on my moped, then on my motorcycle, because they wanted to be with me and doing what I was doing. My daughter thought it was great when I would take her to elementary school on my Honda CBX. After a messy divorce and their mom getting remarried, my daughter hasn't talked to me in almost 10 years. She is 25 now and has her own motorcycle (and likes rock climbing - she used to read when she went with me). My son had one, but got too caught up in working to enjoy it.

How many dads push their kids into sports - T ball, Little League, Soccer, etc., and demand they they excel, and berate them for their mistakes. How much better to take your kids with you on outdoor activities and do things WITH them. I'd be delighted and privileged to have Kessler pass me going up a mountain one of these days! Scott and Kessler both ROCK! As do Johnny Collinson and Jordan Romero and their dads!

And why feel sorry for them because someone else will soon do it quicker or younger? They did it! No one can take that experience away from them.

Vic

timd

by timd » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:22 pm

I think all this negativity stems from the fact that this kid achieved something that these negative posters have not or cannot do themselves.

Cy Kaicener

17 year old - youngest to climb the seven summits

by Cy Kaicener » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:15 pm

Jordan Romero aged 13 years just has Everest and Vinson to do. He is leaving for Everest on March 10.
http://jordanromero.com
http://jordanromero.com/weblog

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:58 pm

Good on the young Man (Sorry, but 17 y/o's AREN'T Children any longer)....

I got ten bucks that says he ends up being a well rounded human being, outstanding fellow worker, loyal Husband and persevering/good Father and just plain success throughout his entire adult life.

Hope that he considers joining the Navy and becoming a "Frog".

Oh yeah, I hope that he decides to get on and do this wall while he is young and strong, to round off his endeavor's, before moving on to something bigger and better....

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:53 pm

Spot on Rick. I have stated many times that the 7 summit objective is not as much about climbing as it is endurance. This young man has just started his climbing career really, if he choses to continue. Today I get much more satisfaction from completing a technical objective than climbing to the summit of Mount Robson, but that was my progression as well, mountaineering, peak bagging to technical rock and ice climbing. I transformed from pure endurance to endurance+skill. Imagine he will do the same. We use to never think of 17yr olds running marathons either. There would be many in the medical field advising against it actually (affects physical development they say). I helped spot a 17 yr old in the St. George Marathon last year. Unreal endurance at that age...and he was not alone. Guess the "40 is the new 30" trend trickles down. Hope it is trickling up!

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:57 pm

Dow Williams wrote:Spot on Rick. I have stated many times that the 7 summit objective is not as much about climbing as it is endurance. This young man has just started his climbing career really, if he choses to continue. Today I get much more satisfaction from completing a technical objective than climbing to the summit of Mount Robson, but that was my progression as well, mountaineering, peak bagging to technical rock and ice climbing. I transformed from pure endurance to endurance+skill. Imagine he will do the same. We use to never think of 17yr olds running marathons either. There would be many in the medical field advising against it actually (affects physical development they say). I helped spot a 17 yr old in the St. George Marathon last year. Unreal endurance at that age...and he was not alone. Guess the "40 is the new 30" trend trickles down. Hope it is trickling up!

Good post Dow. Especially the last part. "27" is the new "17" I guess does apply here.

Wonderful achievement.

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:23 am

Snowslogger wrote:Somebody's daddy's got
$$$$$$$$$$

Imagine how insufferable this kid is going to be for the rest his life.

divnamite

by divnamite » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:33 pm

Dow Williams wrote:We use to never think of 17yr olds running marathons either. There would be many in the medical field advising against it actually (affects physical development they say). I helped spot a 17 yr old in the St. George Marathon last year. Unreal endurance at that age...and he was not alone. Guess the "40 is the new 30" trend trickles down. Hope it is trickling up!

This is not new. Check out this article. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/27/sport ... hon&st=cse

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:49 pm

divnamite wrote:
Dow Williams wrote:We use to never think of 17yr olds running marathons either. There would be many in the medical field advising against it actually (affects physical development they say). I helped spot a 17 yr old in the St. George Marathon last year. Unreal endurance at that age...and he was not alone. Guess the "40 is the new 30" trend trickles down. Hope it is trickling up!

This is not new. Check out this article. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/27/sport ... hon&st=cse

no, but it has gotten more prevalent in long distance running, and thus even more controversial...I did everything with my girls in moderation (track, climbing, paddling, swimming, skiing, horses, lacrosse, etc) until they went to college as I worried that they could get burnt out mentally if I did not watch their pace, not to mention the desire to expose them to everything to see where they might flow naturally without prejudice....so never worried about the physical development side of it, but I am sure it is real

PreviousNext

Return to News