17 year old youngest ever to climb the 7 summits

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
surgent

by surgent » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:00 pm

radson wrote:What would be an acceptable way for someone to pay for the 7 summits in your opinion?..you know so not to detract form the achievement and put him in a level playing field?

Any (legal) method is fine. If his folks are rich, fine, or if not and he raised the cash himself or got some sponsorship, fine. On stories such as these, I'd like to know how a 17yo managed to put together the means to go get the 7 continental HPs. This (and other similar) stories usually dance around that issue. For Elbrus, Denali, Aconcagua, Kosciusko and Kilimanjaro, the costs aren't outrageous and are within the means of most middle-class families (granted, some sacrifices being made along the way...). But for Everest and Vinson, the logistics and costs run into 5 figures easily, unless I'm missing something. It's probably more interesting a story how he put the whole plan into action, not the action itself.

Jakester

by Jakester » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:20 pm

surgent wrote:Any (legal) method is fine. If his folks are rich, fine, or if not and he raised the cash himself or got some sponsorship, fine. On stories such as these, I'd like to know how a 17yo managed to put together the means to go get the 7 continental HPs. This (and other similar) stories usually dance around that issue. For Elbrus, Denali, Aconcagua, Kosciusko and Kilimanjaro, the costs aren't outrageous and are within the means of most middle-class families (granted, some sacrifices being made along the way...). But for Everest and Vinson, the logistics and costs run into 5 figures easily, unless I'm missing something. It's probably more interesting a story how he put the whole plan into action, not the action itself.

What part of "fully sponsored athlete" don't you get? Read my link above.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:07 pm

tazz wrote:I about choked when i saw that rainier is now the highest peak in the mainland. Sorry CA Whitney just shrunk...Fox news says so.

Well, it is FOX news :lol:

Previous

Return to News