4 days walking in Julian Alps - Slovenia

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
visentin

by visentin » Wed May 19, 2010 11:24 am

You may find a source of inspiration reading this trip report by watching the routes on the map:
http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/5 ... iglav.html
This is more or less the usual way to visit Triglav from Bohinj.

Eric

visentin

by visentin » Wed May 19, 2010 3:59 pm

As for the map, I also recommend buying one (you should be able to get the Triglav one in any good map shop in UK; I've seen them in shops in Paris, Toulouse, as well as in Poland)
Meantime you can have a look at this map online:
http://mapy.mk.cvut.cz/list/data/Slovin ... ske%20Alpy
(the map is divided in 9 fragments in the same order as a mobile phone keyboard)

visentin

by visentin » Thu May 20, 2010 2:30 pm

suiko wrote:Now I'm more confused than ever... did you mean that the path from Bohinj to Trenta has scary bits with chains on it? :roll:

Just have a glance to the digital map I gave the link. Continuous lines are normal pathes, and dot lines are places where scrambling is required, or with equipments on it.

suiko wrote:Anyway, my idea right now is on the first day to go from Bohinj to Zasavska Ko?a, and then to Trenta for 2nd night. Or better to stop at another Ko?a first? And after Trenta, maybe one more night in a refuge, and then catch bus at Vrsi? pass to KG. But I would appreciate it if someone has a better idea.

I don't know this area left from Zasavska Koca.. neither the meaning of the smileys of Borut :roll:

That's the one we had (and many people). The same the scans in the link are from.

suiko wrote:Btw, is it necessary to bring sleeping bag? We like to travel very light if possible.

During the weekdays, and if you arrive early enough in the afternoon, it should be ok. Just avoid the 2 huts near the top of Triglav (Planica and the other on the north side) Sometimes you can be told to wait till 18pm, time at which they cancel other people's reservations if they don't show up. At this very moment you're likely to get spaces if it was said to be full before.

toc

Re: 4 days walking in Julian Alps - Slovenia

by toc » Thu May 20, 2010 10:02 pm

suiko wrote:One more thing... would like to avoid spending more than €40-50 a night on a double - is that possible?

Class II hut / 1-4 beds bedroom / 20,00 € per person for non-members of Alpine club.

- 1,6 € if you bring your own linens.

suiko wrote:I know this is a serious mountaineering forum, but we would like to avoid scary paths with chains and stuff like that :-)

Soca-Bohinj.
Soca bus stop - Lepenjica creek - Klement Jug hut - Krn lakes hut - Bogatin hut - Komna hut
- Savica hut - Bohinj lake (two beaches next to the camping site).
Most of it are mule paths bulldozed for the purpose of the WWI.

There's regular coach line to Kranjska Gora,
departing from the Zlatorog hotel at Bohinj lake.

visentin

Re: itinerary - what do you think? Any improvements?

by visentin » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:50 am

> stay at Bohinj lake - sobe (any good ones/places to eat?)
Eating no idea (but you'll find restaurants, sure), but sleeping for cheap yes :
http://www.bohinj-info.com/en/rooms/ceklin_valentin

>to avoid Komarca path, which is a bit scary, right?
Not at all, I did it with my wife who doesn't have a head for heights. Everything OK, easy except physically (400m to walk up non stop)

>Stay in KG for three nights (this is cheaper, right?) - any good places to stay/eat?
Cheaper, no idea.. depends on the accomodation. A super campsite :
http://campingkamne.com/

>Fri - take bus to Vrsic Pass and walk back down Planina/Tamar valley to KG (I may have the name wrong - sorry!)
Tamar valley is not exactly in front of KG but we walked in it. I recommend !

>Sat - another walk from KG - any ideas? Maybe something involving going up with a cable car?
There is such cable car somewhere near Bovec, in the valley of the Soca river (btw something else you MUST see if you have time : rafting, kayak, hydrospeed, etc)

cabouckaert1

by cabouckaert1 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:21 am

I'm also looking at doing a similar trip this summer with my girlfriend. I have five days and have currently based my plan largely on visepin's trip report. Visit Bled, Bohinj, Triglav via Seven Lakes route and then a bit of relaxing in the valley afterwards. I have three questions:

1. do you think that triglav is ok to do with my girlfriend (no experience)?

2. is it ok to climb with approach shoes (not real running shoes, more for trail running)?

3. i was thinking to maybe do the descent via the vrata valley as i have heard this is quite beautiful as well, is this a good idea?

thanks in advance!

damgaard

by damgaard » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:44 pm

I did the seven lakes route 3 years ago. My 2 cents

1. I did the trip with two of my friends who have a little experience, but no much. The approach from Trzaska Koca over the south ridge of Triglav should surely not have been more difficult for them. In my opinion the approach via the west ridge is easier since there is cable all the way.

2. My friends was using running shoes and had problems with getting a good grip in some places. Light hiking boots are surely preferable for newbies. If I was to go again (actually I might be this summer :D ), I would consider trail running shoes for myself (salomon X-wings or similar)

3. I haven't been there, but some of the paths should be quite steep. The paths going south to lake Bohinj are all easy and needs no special care. (but your knees will be tired after 2000 m decent!)

have a nice trip

-jesper

cabouckaert1

by cabouckaert1 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:32 pm

Thx for the feedback! Looking forward to a great trip!

Next

Return to Europe