6th Annual SP Summer Gathering in the Mighty San Juans

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
Chris

by Chris » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:25 pm

miztflip wrote:
Chris wrote:Sounds like an awesome trip, unfortunately I'll be there the week before running the Hardrock 100. The course does summit Little Giant though, so at least I'll hit one of the peaks.

I'll make it out one of these years...

Have fun everyone! :-)

Sounds to me like a good taper the weekend before....

I for once may actually make it for atleast Saturday the 23rd.

I'm planning chicago basin in a day from the road on Friday 22nd if anyone is intrested......come on Gerber, it'll be a warm up for hardrock

It's actually the weekend *after* Hardrock...so I'm afraid I won't be able to move, much less walk up hill... especially w/ speed demons like you! :P

Jerry L

by Jerry L » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:47 pm

Since the surgeon just canceled my bicycle touring plans in Canada for me, I was thinking of attending this event. Since I'm coming from Virginia, and plan to be out west for months, I'll have my Labrador Retriever along with me. Are dogs welcome on any of the hikes ? Anybody else bringing their dog ?

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:27 pm

Jerry,

My husband and I have 4 dogs and we do not take them, as a rule, higher than about 12,500 and for only one peak. We find that multiple, above-timber line peaks and/or 13ers and 14ers just mean too much "rock time" for their paws. I have seen dogs litterally leaving blood prints from torn paw pads on bigger peaks in Colorado. My German Shepherd, a strong hiker, was almost incapacitated a decade ago when I tried to take her up Mt. Princeton with me (paw pad damage) and the experience/guilt has stuck with me.

Unless your dogs have bullet-proof huntin' / ranch dog paw pads or summit big-country peaks with you year-round, I suggest finding a dog sitter / boarding facility for the longer high country days.

Now, someone else is bound to chime in that they have taken their toy poodle up every 14er 3rd class and lower and the dog was fine, etc. So, you decide.

Aaron Johnson

by Aaron Johnson » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:14 am

Jerry L:

About your dog's paws, as Sarah has warned: The San Juan rock is relentlessly sharp, and a talus traverse would be very hard on your dog's paws. There's no avoiding the sharp edges. Sharah's advice is spot on.

Jerry L

by Jerry L » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:33 am

My preference would be to take your advice and to leave her somewhere. Any ideas ? She'll be going with me on this trip............no choice there.

Kane

by Kane » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:27 am

Aaron, I'm doing my best to make the Redcliff hike too. That's going to be a good one for sure. It appears you and the stronger hiker are just hanging out in the San Juans that week? Me too. It won't hurt to give me a call here and there to check if I'm around. I'll call you too. Sort of like 2008 except I won't ask you to borrow $20.00. :lol:

After the Whitehead Peak hike, I'm headed into the Vestals with Alan, Jackie and Barry. I'll be in there until Weds. They will leave Thurs. From there I'll be in Ouray Weds night, likely camping in the Amphitheature....Dinner? Thursday I'll drive to the Middle Fork area and set up a tent for two days. I'm looking at some obscure ideas that enhance the Precipice for a sunset/sunrise. Sat Redcliff. Sunday Home... :D

Kane

gliderman

breakfast for San Juan hike

by gliderman » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:35 am

I see we are supposed to meet at 5:45am for the hike. A healthy breakfast is handy prior to a good high hike. Not much open in Silverton at dark-thirty in the morning. However, folks at the Chamber of Commerce indicated George, owner of Grumpy’s at the Grand Imperial Hotel (979) 387-5834 might be willing to open his breakfast buffet early if enough people were interested. Anyone interested, or any other ideas / plans?

Sure glad it’s over a month away. Snow is still deep on north facing slopes… but melting fast on the rest.

Alan Ellis

by Alan Ellis » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:52 pm

Jerry, I really hope you can make it. It would be great to see you again! For those who don't know, Jerry is a long-time SP member. I had the privilege of climbing the Middle Teton with him in 2003. You really want this guy to go, because the last time I climbed with him, he hauled a huge slab of salmon and a full loaf of bread out of his pack and we had salmon sandwiches in the Tetons backcountry. I still talk about that to this day. :)

Anyway Jerry: Looks like you can board your dog either in Montrose or Durango depending on which direction you come from. That would be my recommendation also. We took our dog on Uncompahgre and his feet were hamburger. Booties did not help either. They were shredded after only a couple of hours. San Juans rock sucks for dogs.

Jackie and I are ready to head to Colorado. Look forward to seeing everyone again. Sounds like it's gonna be a great time as usual.

Jerry L

by Jerry L » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:16 pm

Hey Alan.........I saw that you were organizing this with Aaron and your wives. I plan to see you when I get out there. I'll start looking into kennels soon. Planning on heading up to Montana afterwards to visit with Vernon, and of course, climb some more stuff.

Aaron Johnson

by Aaron Johnson » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:57 am

gliderman:

Sure glad it’s over a month away. Snow is still deep on north facing slopes… but melting fast on the rest.

A primary reason for choosing the area and the route was to stay either on a ridge top or south/east facing slopes and hopefully avoid snowy complications. I'm guessing by then snow might be a minor (or perhaps helpful) factor on our descent into the basin.

Looking forward to see you and everyone else there!

Aaron Johnson

by Aaron Johnson » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:20 am

See UPDATES at the bottom of the original announcement post!

More updates to come. :)

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:24 am

Jerry L wrote:Hey Alan.........I saw that you were organizing this with Aaron and your wives.

:? Wives? Mr. Ellis, I didn't know they did that kind of thing in Oklahoma. I thought that was a Utah thing???

ktimm

by ktimm » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:47 pm

I'm in again for Redcliff.

About the dogs, it depends, my dogs never have issues with paw pads. It might be because they just spend a lot of time out on trails regardless.

Aaron Johnson

by Aaron Johnson » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:59 pm

ktimm:
I'm in again for Redcliff.

Great news! Although you're making my job as organizer and updater tedious! :D

Alan Ellis

by Alan Ellis » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:27 pm

sarah.simon wrote: :? Wives? Mr. Ellis, I didn't know they did that kind of thing in Oklahoma. I thought that was a Utah thing???

Nope...just an Alan thing. I have a lot to share.

PreviousNext

Return to Colorado