Access to Killen Creek TH on Mt Adamas

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
clmbr

Access to Killen Creek TH on Mt Adamas

by clmbr » Thu May 19, 2016 4:32 am

Any beta about access to Killen Creek TH on Mt Adamas? How is the snow there right now? When would be the best time to plan the (Adams G.) attempt this year?

Appreciate any input/Thanks

ExcitableBoy

Re: Access to Killen Creek TH on Mt Adamas

by ExcitableBoy » Thu May 19, 2016 5:57 am

From personal experience, the road does not melt out until mid-June or later. The FS updates road conditions:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/giffordp ... ecid=31804 and you can always call the Ranger Station.

I've done the Adams Glacier in late June, and I suspect the route stays in decent shape into early July. July is the hottest month and routes like this tend to melt out quickly during July. Probably the worst part is the descent down the North Ridge which becomes more miserable with less snow.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
clmbr

clmbr

Re: Access to Killen Creek TH on Mt Adamas

by clmbr » Mon May 23, 2016 5:44 pm

I’ve done this route a few times in the past but cannot remember the exact days except one attempt (from my video) on June 23rd. The access to the TH was OK but the glacier was already very heavily broken up and while running out of time and being uncertain if the upper part of the glacier was (still reasonably) passable, I decided to down-climb it (honestly never wished to do that). The North Ridge conditions, however, don’t really bother me, especially after descending it once without snow at complete dark (no headlamp; don’t ask); all I remember it was a nightmare but still much safer than the glacier. Unfortunately, twice I could not even get to the TH due to too big snow patches on the road or washouts.

I’m taking a road trip (again) to the Cascades in a month or so and Adams Glacier is on my list. I really like this route due to its spectacular architecture of crevasses and ice blocks (or icefalls) from its base almost to the top of the mountain and, of course, the solitude. This time, however, I’m planning to come with my buddies and would prefer not to be there too early or too late.

I was expecting more snow this year and try to delay my travel but it looks like snow is melting fast in some places. Hopefully the first half of July still won’t be too complicated. Well, there are always alternatives.

Thanks for your response ExcitableBoy.

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)