Adirondacks in Winter

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Basham

Adirondacks in Winter

by Basham » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:54 pm

What all gear is necessary for a week long hike in March/April? Suggestions for make/model would be great.

nartreb

Re: Adirondacks in Winter

by nartreb » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:16 pm

I see you're in Texas... what's your experience of winter in more northerly, much wetter climates?

March is winter with extra daylight hours; April is as Puma describes, the key point being that there will be lots of snow on the ground. Make sure your clothing (including boots and pants) is up to the challenge of keeping you warm during all the times you're sitting around camp not really moving.

For snowshoes or skis, no half-measures: get something nice and big so you don't sink. Don't forget that in addition to your own weight, you'll be carrying a full pack.

Ideally you'd match your gear to your planned route: if you're doing a lot of steep uphills, bring full crampons and maybe an axe. Mostly flat stuff, you can probably get away with microspikes for the times you're not wearing snowshoes. Really flat stuff, skis are much faster than snowshoes.

Speaking of choice of route, I'm guessing from your previous postings that you know nothing about avalanche prediction. Start reading now, and check with a ranger both when planning your route and just before you head out. (Some routes are "don't try this in March", many are "it depends what the weather's like over the previous week", many are "no problem in a normal year but it still depends.")

You'll notice I'm not getting terribly specific about brands and models. If you haven't got a good idea what style of jacket or how many layers you'll need for a winter hike, then you really shouldn't be planning a weeklong hike in the Adirondacks in March or April. I'm having a lot of difficulty thinking of a type of gear or clothing where I'd pay any attention to the logo. The pricier stuff will often fit me a bit better, and will often be designed with weight savings in mind, but not necessarily.

(Plus, there's so many trade-offs. I love natural down in my jacket and sleeping bag because it's light and it compresses well, but on a weeklong trip in April, your stuff getting wet has to be a worry, so if I had synthetic down I might bring that instead.)

The following user would like to thank nartreb for this post
Basham

Basham

by Basham » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:52 pm

You just have a perfect description of our Winter.

Basham

by Basham » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:20 pm

Also, I'm moving to SE Ontario next month. And have been to Vermont in the winter. And have spent a lot of time on Rockies in winter and Summer.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:34 pm

You need this, all of it: viewtopic.php?t=81282

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:45 pm

Please consider taking a winter camping class or at least going with someone with experience. March and April are not the time of year one wants to make a mistake in the back country.

Basham

by Basham » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:13 am

I had no intention of doing this on my own (in Winter).

Basham

by Basham » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:20 pm

Here is the list of equipment I have generated (minus the obvious). Gaiters, snowshoes, crampons or microspikes, ice axe. Any more suggestions?

Basham

by Basham » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:07 am

I don't think I'm going in winter. At least not yet. My first trip into the ADK will be in the summer.

Return to Gear