Advice on what to do with 8-9 days in Montana/Wyoming

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
KiwiRaider

Advice on what to do with 8-9 days in Montana/Wyoming

by KiwiRaider » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:32 am

Hi

A mate and I from NZ are meeting up in Kelowna, BC in September to begin a 3 week climbing road trip. We are somewhat restricted by the fact that he is currently in the Canadian Rockies (so want to go somewhere else) and also that we have a car that we will need to return to Portland, oregon at trip's end. Also we are trying to catch a college football game and a baseball game in Seattle.

We are very average climbers and are keen to tick off a few classics and generally have fun doing moderate routes. As NZers we are used to a lot of tramping to climb our mountains so approach marches aren't too off-putting.

Our plan so far is to have a few days at Skaha cragging etc, drive down to Chilliwack and climb Mt Rexford or one of the Spires next to it and carry on down to seattle for the sports. Following that we have about a week and half in the Montana/Wyoming area before boosting back to Portland to fly out.

originally we thought 4 days each in Glacier National Park and the Tetons, however since then I have, thanks to this site, 'discovered' the Cirque of the Towers. The Cirque is different to everything in NZ so that takes my fancy big time.

While spectacular and somewhere I really want to visit the rock quality of Glacier National Park makes it not that enticing from a climbing point of view when not under snow. So my thoughts are turning to a trip into the Cirque of Towers plus a mission into the Tetons. The advantage also over Glacier is the relative proximity that the Wind River Range has to the Tetons etc. Unfortunately we do not have a backcountry camping permit for the Grand Teton National Park and I see the cut-off date for those was in May. Is there a way around this, can we get a permit late, do we even need one in September? Any advice appreciated.

As NZers we are used to a lot of tramping to climb our mountains so approach marches aren't too off-putting.

Does anybody have any other suggestions about possibilities we should turn our attention to? Hidden gems? Beartooth range? Open to ideas.

As long as we don't get eaten by bears and have fun we will be happy

Cheers

Hayden

jharrwyo

by jharrwyo » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:06 pm

Devil's Tower NE Wyoming go climb it. Get good guide Devil's Tower Lodge.

b.

by b. » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:48 pm

Definitely check out the Cirque. Ridiculously good, moderate climbing. You can drive through Glacier on the way down. You can get walk up permits for the Tetons, especially for the climbing campsites. I was down there over the 4th of July, and due to a little snow, we were the only two people camped at the Garnet Meadows the first night, then we shared the Lower Saddle with two Exum guides the next night. Quitet year down there. You don't need any permits for the Winds. I've spent extensive time in both areas if you have questions. Feel free to contact me.

no avatar
KiwiRaider

by KiwiRaider » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:00 am

Brilliant, thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. Good to know the permit thing for the tetons is not too much of a biggie and yes Cirque of the Towers looks a winner. How long is the drive between the yellowstone area and Devils Tower - its the other side of the state right?

Hayden

builttospill

by builttospill » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:43 am

When would you be looking to go into the Cirque or Tetons? You say September, but late September would be too late, generally. Not sure about others, but I wouldn't really plan a trip into the Winds later than the first, maybe the second week in September most years. I could be wrong though, I've only been in there twice and never in September.

paisajeroamericano

by paisajeroamericano » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:31 am

The Crazies are pretty sick. Great energy there and hardly anybody goes there. Crazy Peak is a good day hike from Livingston, MT... no need for ropes, but challenging exposed summit nonetheless. The Absaroka/Beartooth is real wild, tough approaches, but worthwhile. Good stuff in the Bridgers, Gallatins, and Madisons too... that's all accessible from Bozeman, MT.

Nonetheless, personally with less than 10 days time, I'd stick to the Winds and the Tetons. Stuff is really far apart around here... and the Winds has alone has enough climbing to last a lifetime. The approach to the Cirque of Towers is super easy. I'd probably go in there for up to a week and then do a couple big dayhikes (or perhaps an overnighter) in the Tetons... Unless you prefer remote places where you will be alone... Then try any other part of the Winds and maybe the Absaroka.

As far as weather in September, I think you should be fine... Just expect freezing temps at night and be prepared for snow. Of course, I am new to this area, so I'm no expert... Yet. There was already a dusting in the highcountry a couple days ago, but I don't think there is usually anything too serious before October.

Good luck, have fun, & be safe!

no avatar
KiwiRaider

by KiwiRaider » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:44 am

Thanks Paisa, appreciate it. Looks like we may be limited to Montana and maybe Glacier NP due to time constraints. Too many mountains, too little time, I think I need to retire!

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)