Altitude sickness

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
nickw1

Re: Altitude sickness

by nickw1 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:56 pm

SeanReedy wrote:
funnyman7878 wrote:She had altitude sickness in Denver? which is at 5500 ft right? Who the heck gets altitude sickness at 5500ft? Isn't a plane pressurized to 8000 ft?

Putting on a long song and dance show at moderate altitude is different than sitting in an airplane.

Google Denver and altitude sickness and this informative site that supports other information in this thread is near the top of the results:

http://www.altitudemedicine.org/index.php/altitude-medicine/learn-about-altitude-sickness

Note the menu that provides links to additional pages of information within the site. Around 5,000 feet is described as the beginning of high altitude and 5,000-8,000 feet is viewed as useful territory for acclimatization as well as sleep and recovery.

While in Colorado I only found altitude to have an effect on *walking* above approx. 10000ft / 3000m, I did notice in Denver when I was rushing for the last light rail back to where I was staying, it was damned hard work compared to back home in the lowlands of the UK, so I'd agree that exerting yourself is harder at the altitude of Denver than at sea level.

MoapaPk

Re: Altitude sickness

by MoapaPk » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:15 am

nickw1 wrote:While in Colorado I only found altitude to have an effect on *walking* above approx. 10000ft / 3000m, I did notice in Denver when I was rushing for the last light rail back to where I was staying, it was damned hard work compared to back home in the lowlands of the UK, so I'd agree that exerting yourself is harder at the altitude of Denver than at sea level.

But did you get altitude sickness from activities in Denver?

Previous

Return to California