Am I wrong about Softshells?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
mbmsfreerider

Am I wrong about Softshells?

by mbmsfreerider » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:46 am

A friend just gave me a Mountain Hardwear G50. I always figured I would get a baselayer, softshell, and a rainshell to cover most of my upper layers since I want to do light alpine climbing and I already rock climb. I put it on in my house for a while and it was warm but I really expected to get hot in it. I figured that it would be made for colder conditions and i would get hot just wearing it in the house. I havnt worn it in the cold yet.
So am I mistaken that softshells are supposed to be warm or is it really just that good at adjusting to temperatures?

timfoltz

by timfoltz » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:30 am

Soft shells are made more for their breathability. Therefore they become especially useful on high energy exploits. Unless it is a soft shell with insulation it is not going to keep you any warmer than a typical fleece. I use my soft shells in winter when precip is only going to be coming down as snow. They typically move and stretch better and are a little more durable than a hard shell.

no avatar
sneakyracer

by sneakyracer » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:01 am

If you want to go ultralight then a softshell might be better left at home since a there are hardshells that are very light and compact and insulating layers that pac small (primaloft or down)

But softshells are very nice to wear, they are very quiet, comfortable, stretchy, breathable and some offer warmth. From what I have read weather resistance varies greatly in softshells. I personally have experience only with an OR Credo jacket and its awesome. I have worn it in light rain and water has not seeped through. It dries very quickly too. It has light fleece lining so it offers warmth but breathes very well. I can take that jacket + a fleece + baselayer and pac my very light and compact paclite shell and be good for a very wide range of weather.

kheegster

by kheegster » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:14 pm

No, softshells aren't meant to keep you warm. You are expected to provide the heat from your own activity, and it will allow you to breathe without getting soaked with sweat. If you will be staying still, you'll need to throw on an insulating layer on the outside.

radson

by radson » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:23 pm

no avatar
mbmsfreerider

by mbmsfreerider » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:37 pm

So would a MH windstopper tech and a hardhsell be more versatile?

hikingMaineac

by hikingMaineac » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:26 pm

Check out this thread on Views From the Top:
http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26984
It's a bit older, but still relevant.

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:43 pm

mbmsfreerider wrote:So would a MH windstopper tech and a hardhsell be more versatile?

Many climbers use the layering system you mentioned for alpine climbing. The softshell they prefer may or may not be manufactured with the Windstopper material. It's a personal choice. I prefer mine don't have it because it doesn't breathe as well. If you find your softshell to be cold remember that you will add insulating layers underneath and when it gets really windy or wet you'll put your hardshell over top. I think you would be fine with the G50 as long as it's large enough that you can wear the insulating layers you may want underneath.

no avatar
spiritualspatula

by spiritualspatula » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:48 am

Brad Marshall wrote:
mbmsfreerider wrote:So would a MH windstopper tech and a hardhsell be more versatile?

I think you would be fine with the G50 as long as it's large enough that you can wear the insulating layers you may want underneath.

Ditto. I've got an Alchemy which is pretty similar and this is what I've found. I'm an inferno under high aerobic activities and I've worn it alone with a midweight baselayer down to around 10F and been plenty toasty. If I'm not getting my activity level up so high, I can use a fleece underneath and be happy just walking around down to the same temperature. I'll wear it if I'm wondering if I'll get some weather, but am not expecting terrible wet weather. If I know I'll be encountering a shitstorm, softshell stays at home and the hardshell comes.
My alchemy is pretty durable and has taken some damage over the years I've had it but I've overall been very happy.

tallsailor

by tallsailor » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:41 am

You are correct that a hardshell, softshell, and baselayer cover most of your upper body clothing options. What you need to add to that for cold temp. activities (~ <30 degrees F) is a down or synthetic puffy jacket. As someone observed above, the soft shell is meant to keep you comfortable in variable conditions down to ~-20 degrees, but only while highly active (backcountry skiing, climbing, running, etc.). As soon as you stop, for a snack or whatever, you pull on the puffy for warmth until you're ready to move again. I have a couple of different weight baselayers that I wear under the softshell dependent on anticipated temp. and what type of activity I'm doing. If your body "runs a little colder" then mine (I seem to be an oven), you may find that a fleece vest or even a full lightweight fleece under the softshell keeps you comfortable while active in colder temperatures. For longer trips, I often throw an extra midweight baselayer in my pack in case temps drop or I find myself feeling too cold.

Bottom line: your layering combination (baselayer, fleece if needed, softshell) should keep you warm without any sweating during prolonged aerobic activity, your puffy jacket should be like a half sleeping bag with arms for when you're sitting on your bum.

Final ramble: I play in CO and MN, both very cold, dry climates. I have never felt the need for a hardshell in the winter months here. If I move to a coastal climate, I'm sure I'll make some adjustments. Most likely I'll add an ultralight hardshell to the Oh-Shit-Kit for the ugly storms. I can't really wear them anytime else because I simply sweat too much.

erykmynn

by erykmynn » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:46 am

Do you guys mostly have softshells with or without hoods?

Mine is pretty damned repellent, but doesn't have a hood. When I feel like that might be an issue (esp. light but cold cold mixed rain/snow) I throw on a hard shell instead and and get miserably sweaty.

if not, what are you putting on your head?

Return to Gear