Amusing rumor heard on Mt. Morrison

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
Dan Shorb

by Dan Shorb » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:50 am

The Chief wrote:
d_shorb wrote:perhaps everone should carry their own personal summit register to the top, and sign it up there, then take it back down with them. that way the theives will never get it.

:wink: smart arent i

Don't pat yurself on the back that quickly.

It's called a camera....

Why would I sign my camera every time I went to the summit of something. :wink:

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:00 am

Thanks Chief!

This register was on an infrequently climbed peak (maybe 10-20 parties/year), and in excellent shape. There was no reason for it to be removed... or PLANNED for removal! Even if one is likely to be damaged, it is really useless elsewhere than on the summit.

Unfortunately, on this peak, the register only went back 20 years or so (maybe not even that long, can't remember, might have been placed there then but folks used the original until more recently). From the contents it appeared the previous book was full and dated back to the 50s or 60s and removed in the last 1-2 years. Not incredibly old, regardless it would be better off where it originated. Now that I think about it, I presume the individual who took the original is possibly the same selfish person who placed the sticker in the new one.

BTW- I am not talking about what should be done with registers on peaks like Shasta or Whitney. I really am not too concerned with them and when a peak is that popular it might end up with a mini-library on top. But even there... if they are removed... they are better off in some location near the trailhead than in Berkeley. But as long as the contents fit in the container, that is where they should stay. No exceptions.

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:25 am

I am all for putting a fancy digital device like i-pad on the summit. no worries for filling up anytime soon.

Or even better... put a barcode scanner on top. Every climber should be required to wear a barcode bracelet and scan it on the summit.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:21 am

mrchad9 wrote:Ideally they would be left on the summit.

Who really wants to sit in a library reading summit registers? most (not all, but certainly most) would prefer to read them on the summit, or not at all.

+1

If someone wants a display in Berkeley or wants to preserve the data forever, they can go to the summit, photograph the register pages, and print out as many copies as they wish when they get home.

LOL and agreed about the potential Mount Whitney Summit Library, though. What a waste of time it is to sign that book.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:57 am

Dingus Milktoast wrote:I like summit registers. They make me happy.

I'm all smiles inside just thinking about them.

Mmmmmmm. Summit registers.

Groooooovy, man. Far out.

DMT

We know.

Yur one of those delightful Summiteers that uses up an entire page each time you sign one.

Whatever.......

x15x15

by x15x15 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:01 pm

come now, this is the internet everybody. none of this is even real. registers on summits being taken? yeah right! no way i say! its all just little figments of cyber-world...

btw- just say no to registers...

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:48 pm

Some people seem really obsessed with signing into the registers, as if that is the only reason for climbing the peak in the first place. It seems they crave for some recognition by others or think they need to prove their accomplishment to others. I climb the mountains for myself, I feel great accomplishment for myself, but I don't feel the need to "show" it to others. My opinion is that the mountains are no place for placing metal cans.

It's just another incarnation of "my car, my boat, my house, and my summit" mentality.

And that's just "my opinion" :)

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:51 pm

SoCalHiker wrote:Some people seem really obsessed with signing into the registers, as if that is the only reason for climbing the peak in the first place. It seems they crave for some recognition by others or think they need to prove their accomplishment to others. I climb the mountains for myself, I feel great accomplishment for myself, but I don't feel the need to "show" it to others. My opinion is that the mountains are no place for placing metal cans.

It's just another incarnation of "my car, my boat, my house, and my summit" mentality.

And that's just "my opinion" :)

I used to think the registers were pretty cool, but I've lost sight of their significance over the years. I still sign in when I find a register on a mountain I haven't been to the top of before, but I don't replace registers or get upset when I don't find one.

It could be that people are proud of their accomplishment and want to share it with others, or it could be about the competitive nature of some of the climbers out there. I've never thought climbing mountains, or in my case slogging up mountains, was a competition, but some people do.

ridgeline

by ridgeline » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:09 pm

I have a natural affinity for like minded people and just enjoy seing friends and others names at a place that makes me feel so great. The harder it was to get there, the greater the enjoyment is. I can picture friends faces and hear their voice while reading a name in that little history book .

Augie Medina

by Augie Medina » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:47 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:I like summit registers. They make me happy.

I'm all smiles inside just thinking about them.

Mmmmmmm. Summit registers.

Groooooovy, man. Far out.

DMT

He said as the last embers dropped from his roach clip. :lol:

BHunewill

by BHunewill » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:33 am

I meant no disrespect to Claude, I've only heard the best things about him from those that know him.

PreviousNext

Return to California