Are Gaiters Really Necessary?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
Wastral

Re: Are Gaiters Really Necessary?

by Wastral » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:43 am

seano wrote:Stylin'!
mvs wrote:I remember on early starts in the PNW that I'd knock about 6 liters of water off the plants as I ascended a trail.

Indeed, that sucks -- get soaked on the approach trail, then get frozen by the wind above treeline. But based on my limited experience getting PWNed in the PNW, I would want something more like rain pants, since the teeming dew-infested undergrowth was rarely only knee-high. How do you people deal with that stuff?

How do we deal with it?

We bitch all the way up the trail or cower in our sleeping abode and bitch about not being on the trail as you are a self avowed pansy. Or, curse yourself for being so stupid as to take this trail non maintained trail instead of the trail that sees maintenance every year or every 5th year. Wait it was shorter... Right?

After being dumb and buying expensive rain gear, putting it on, and trekking up the trail only to find holes in your sparkling cool dude brand new gear from those damned Salmonberry bushes, or devils club, or shreds it on some stick, one quickly learns to buy the cheapest leggings/shorts/long sleeved T possible, with gaitors on and GRIN[G] and bear it. Break out of the brush into the alpine sun, exhale, strip off the soaking wet junk, wring it out, put it back on and keep on climbing.

By the way Montana and British Columbia are just as bad though the brush is lower. If you have ever tried off trail through the lush rain forests of British Columbia or Washington/Oregon that hasn't been logged, it makes the stuff in the PNW mountains look like a picnic. Though it makes up for it in some of the most luxurious beautiful moss infested, mushroom in fested, plant infested beauty you will ever witness. You quickly learn that the fastest way to move is to find the thickest bunch of trees no matter how cliff banded and steep and hug them as any ravine bottom, ridge top, or anything that looks like LIGHT, is Hell on earth to pass through.

What we get for this? Beautiful glaciers, lakes, streams, and FLOWERS. TONS of flowers. Parts of Colorado has this as well due to the afternoon thunderstorms watering the flowering meadows.

Pants and hiking DO NOT MIX unless you are a martian with pencil legs and pencil arms and you don't sweat. If you are an average human being, then pants and hiking means you are sweating buckets of sweat making your life miserable. So, shorts are the name of the game and getting loads of water, twigs, heather scum, dust, and pebbles in your socks is a PITA. At least when I take the gaitors off, my socks and shoes are clean though soaked in sweat instead of soaked in sweat and filled with crud destroying socks and shoes in the process all in the name of extra ventilation. If lots of trail walking shorty gaitors work great. They should weigh about 40g if you make them yourself.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:00 pm

Gafoto wrote:I thought the Shorts + Tights combo was a California thing. I am sorely mistaken apparently.

We're men ... we're men in Tights!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lUjhEHlh7s[/youtube]
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

CastillejaMiniata

by CastillejaMiniata » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:25 pm

Sarah Simon wrote:Posthole through thigh-deep, rotten snow with us this spring and you'll have your answer.

Where to?

Gaiters are usually essential for me in alpine or subalpine settings that have snow.

I'm intrigued by the pants-with-gaiters combo though. A friend of mine has a pair of La Sportiva boots with some built-in gaiters that looked pretty effective. I may wear short ones this summer to save on weight when I'm not wearing them.

Dane1

by Dane1 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:54 am

and I never wear gaiters these days.....lucky I am still alive I guess :)

mvs

by mvs » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:36 am

So our collective attachment to gaitors is an emotional, irrational thing. The world has moved on. Get with the program. :D

BTW, in answer to the question about rain pants, I'd never wear rain pants. So hokey. :D But seriously, most of the brush is below your knee, so gaitors were good enough for that problem. And I hated the non-breathable rain pants, didn't feel like I could move quickly in them (reminiscent of the argument folks make about gaitors). And I generally felt like legs don't need much anyway. Either they are working, or they are in a sleeping bag. As for socks getting wet, it's an inevitability, but over the course of a long day with good weather, you'll dry out a lot from the morning dew problem. If it's multiday you can dry your socks in the sleeping bag and start fresh the next day.

dan2see

by dan2see » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:25 am

Today's hike involved bush-whacking. The lower forest slopes are inhabited by deer, and big-horn sheep travel above and below the treeline. So to keep the ticks off, I wore my gators with the pants tucked in. Back at the car, I didn't find any on me so I felt good about that.

Then at home, I'm saying hello to my wife, and she reaches up and pulls this tick off my shirt.

Well it was a good theory. Actually, without those gators, I bet they'd be crawling all over me.

The following user would like to thank dan2see for this post
lcarreau, mvs

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:03 am

In northern Utah, those blood-sucking ticks like to hide in sagebrush during the summer.

Just wondering ... is that where the term "New Riders of the Purple Sage (N.R.P.S.)" came from ???

Excuse me, the air is gettin' mighty smoky from burning off all these ticks ..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aoq-aJE6Jd4[/youtube]
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

mvs

by mvs » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:26 am

I nearly drove off the road in Icicle Canyon once when a tick came crawling on my neck. GAAAHHHH! I really had to think about what was worse, a firey crash into Icicle Creek or Lyme Disease. :p

ibndalight

by ibndalight » Wed May 02, 2012 9:49 pm

I never put on crampons without gaiters. They save pant legs.

Deltaoperator17

by Deltaoperator17 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:32 am

lcarreau wrote:I always wore gaiters w/wool pants on Tacoma Mountaineer hikes back in the 1980's, and nobody ever laughed at me ... well. maybe a snicker ... :oops:

We are still snikering Larry. :-) Didnt see that one coming did you?

Previous

Return to Gear