Axe Used for Ice Climbing and Steep Snow Travel

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Kai

by Kai » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:17 am

I like the Venoms.

50 cm hammer and 57 cm axe seem about right for snow and ice.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:33 pm

I know this is a little off topic, but was wondering which crampons to buy. I gave my old pair away (which I regret) and now am at a toss up between the G12's, and the Petzl Sarken. I would use them for general mountaineering and Ice climbing up to WI4. If I really get into Ice climbing I'll get a special pair for it. My concern is are there Sarken front points to long for just walking? I love the teeth on them, (I hear they have a great bite in ice) but are they an over kill?

The thing is they need to be new-matic. (I will get cramp-o-matic someday.)

thoughts? suggestions?

climbxclimb

by climbxclimb » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:14 pm

The G14 and the Sarken are two different crampons...
The Sarken is a crampon which climbs ice and snow very well at the same time, the front point orientation makes them also good for mixed climbing. They are light enough to be great for alpine ascents….
I love them and I would not change them with anything else for alpine technical climbing, although for pure waterfall ice I use most of the time my Rambo 4…
the G14 is more traditional mountaineering crampon, but I do not have experience with them...

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:44 pm

climbxclimb wrote:The G14 and the Sarken are two different crampons...
The Sarken is a crampon which climbs ice and snow very well at the same time, the front point orientation makes them also good for mixed climbing. They are light enough to be great for alpine ascents….
I love them and I would not change them with anything else for alpine technical climbing, although for pure waterfall ice I use most of the time my Rambo 4…
the G14 is more traditional mountaineering crampon, but I do not have experience with them...

Are you confusing the G14s with G12's? G14's are similar to the Sarken, both having vertical front points and about the same weight (~35oz). G12's are more traditional, with horizontal front points, and weigh a bit less.

climbxclimb

by climbxclimb » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:23 pm

Are you confusing the G14s with G12's? G14's are similar to the Sarken, both having vertical front points and about the same weight (~35oz). G12's are more traditional, with horizontal front points, and weigh a bit less.

Right you are...the one he has in the picture are the G12...which are the traditional snow climbing crampons..
I know the G14 very well my wife has a pair of them...they are a bit heavy and they do not climb ice well like the Sarken do...

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:46 am

Looks like I'll be getting the Sarken then since I want to do more steep angle climbs. Thanks for the help.

Previous

Return to Gear