BC ski touring in the San Juans

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
AlexeyD

BC ski touring in the San Juans

by AlexeyD » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:42 pm

I am looking to do a couple of days' worth of cross-country skiing in a backcountry setting in southern Colorado the week of March 20, preferably involving one or two nights in huts. Since we'll be renting gear, we're not looking for anything very steep or difficult - basically something that can be done with an NNNBC setup with skins. An obvious choice seems to be the San Juan Huts, which appear to have moderate access and in-between routes, and are relatively easy on the wallet. Does anyone have any experiences to share/advice to give on this, or any suggestions for other options? Thanks in advance.

iceisnice

Re: BC ski touring in the San Juans

by iceisnice » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:06 am

I've been to all the San Juan huts and absolutely LOVE them! The access to all of them is easy to do on nordic gear except for the North Pole Hut, which is only difficult because of the length of access and routefinding if the trail is covered. I've only done BC skiing at the huts and not nordic touring so i can't comment on the trails between the huts, but, I've hiked some of them and there wouldn't be anything too difficult. Amazing area and one of the best hut systems I've used. The best views and touring would be between the Blue Lakes Hut and the Ridgeway Hut...in my opinion

The following user would like to thank iceisnice for this post
AlexeyD

AlexeyD

Re: BC ski touring in the San Juans

by AlexeyD » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:04 pm

Unfortunately, due to extenuating circumstances this trip will no longer be possible this year...but I appreciate the reply, and hopefully it will be of use some time in the not too distant future.

Return to Colorado