Bolivia- Transcordillera trek - help

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
Boleslav

Bolivia- Transcordillera trek - help

by Boleslav » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:55 am

Based on the suggestions from couple of people, I started to look into a Transcordillera trek from Sorata to the Condoriri Base camp.
I have quite a hard time to find detailed description of the route, the LP of Central Andes has a description of only first few days as those are the same for the Illampu circuit.
Is this trek through the mountains or does it go along the roads?

Is there a rough map on the web, so that I can get a better visual idea of the trek?

appreciate any and all advice!

Cheeseburglar

Re: Bolivia- Transcordillera trek - help

by Cheeseburglar » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:01 am

I have a book called "Trekking and Climbing in the Andes" by Val Pitkethly and Val Harper (2002) that has about 7 pages on this trek. They call it the Cordillera Real. Haven't read that section in detail, but it sounds like it alternates trails and mining roads.
I have no idea where I got the book. It was probably either a used book store somewhere or Chessler Books.
I'll be in Bolivia in June, if you still want some info I can try to ask, even though my spanish is pretty questionable.

Boleslav wrote:Based on the suggestions from couple of people, I started to look into a Transcordillera trek from Sorata to the Condoriri Base camp.
I have quite a hard time to find detailed description of the route, the LP of Central Andes has a description of only first few days as those are the same for the Illampu circuit.
Is this trek through the mountains or does it go along the roads?

Is there a rough map on the web, so that I can get a better visual idea of the trek?

appreciate any and all advice!

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:12 am

Normally I would say to look at Google Earth, but I just had a look and there is surprisingly little marked there. But if you can identify some waypoints between the start and finish then you will get a good idea of the route.

I spent six weeks climbing in Bolivia in 1999 and it is a fantastic place if you want to climb high without too much hassle or danger. It seems to have been less popular in recent years, which is strange, given how good it is to climb there. The section between Ancohuma and Condoriri - about 50km in a straight line - is one of the least-visited parts of the range, at least for climbers. There are two 6000m peaks there - Chearoco and Chachacomani - but they do not see many ascents. The locals in this region also have a bad reputation, but maybe that has changed. Sorata was very nice when we were there, and Illampu is a great peak if you have the experience. The Condoriri area was also nice, but with more climbers around. The area in between would be quite interesting to trek through, but only if you get high into the valleys. I would stay off mining roads.

Return to South America