Bolivian Guide Book

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
timfoltz

Bolivian Guide Book

by timfoltz » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:24 am

Does anyone know where I can find a climbing guide book for Bolivia, or specifically the cordillera real portion of Bolivia. I am looking specifically for the book Bolivia, a Climbing Guide. Brain, Yossi, The Mountaineers, 1999 or La Cordillera Real de los Andes-Bolivia, by Alain Mesili comes in English under he title "Andes of Bolivia". Also, if anyone has these books and is interested in selling them let me know.

Thanks,

Tim

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:47 am

Are they hard to get now? I see they don't seem to be on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Bolivia-Climbing- ... 232&sr=8-2

I have a copy, but not to sell, sorry. I used it when I climbed there in 1999, and while it was much better than nothing, it is hardly comprehensive and had various errors (Illampu approach etc). I was meant to meet Yossi at the pub (Mongo's Bar) one night but he couldn't make it, then he died about a month later in an avalanche.

Apparently the Mesili book is OK, if you can find an english-language copy.

D

timfoltz

by timfoltz » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:04 am

Damien,

Thanks for the info. Are there any other books you recommend with better information?

Thanks,
Tim

BLong

by BLong » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:01 am

Tim,

Not sure if you have been down there yet, but it might be worth mentioning that there are several good climbing shops that have great information about the Cordillera Real in La Paz. The Cordillera is heavily explored, so there are a lot of local guides that have done all of the popular routes and are more than willing to give out good, free info. I wrote some logistical info about the area in a trip report. Most of the popular peaks have several teams climbing them each day during the regular season (our summer), so route finding is rarely an issue.

Bryan

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:34 am

I can't seem to find a current seller of the Mesili book:
http://www.allbookstores.com/book/97899 ... Guide.html

He's an 'interesting' guy, so there's quite a bit about him on the web. I met one of his sons when I was on Illimani. I've heard the book is OK, but I've not seen it in person. He did an earlier book, in Spanish, in the 80s, but it's the later version you want (2004?).

John Biggar's Andes book is OK, but not much detail. His site is also interesting, and has some good peak lists and other free info:
http://www.andes.org.uk/andes-guidebook ... 20Climbers

Otherwise your best source is right here on SP!

Return to Gear