Boots for dancing?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Electronaut

Boots for dancing?

by Electronaut » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:17 pm

Goodday.

I am very sorry that this probably isn't what this board or forum is intended for.
But if there is a forum or board that could answer my question it would be you guys.

I like to party and dance in a scene that has a green/neon colors aesthetic for men. No fancy moves or anything just some footwork and waving about.
And heavy boots(New Rocks) are very common. Personally I don't think they are for me and want something else.
My eye has fallen on a boot whose looks I very much like. The Lowa Weisshorn GTX.

I have gathered information and it seems it is a mountaineering boot yet reviews and websites say it is quite flexible at the ankles for steep climbing etc. How flexible are we talking here? I'm not expecting to be able to play a ballerina with these boots, But will it be like dancing with a gipsum cast around my ankle?
And can you use them for general walking like on a festival? No terrain or anything?

I hope you can have a laugh and answer my question.
Kind Regards,
Electronaut.

anita

Re: Boots for dancing?

by anita » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:02 am

:lol:

anita

by anita » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:06 am

I'll bite
what kind of dancing? real dancing or goth 2-stepping? that makes a big difference when deciding on footwear.

The following user would like to thank anita for this post
Luc

artrock23

by artrock23 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:41 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFD1-tPREM4[/youtube]

Electronaut

by Electronaut » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:58 am

anita wrote:I'll bite
what kind of dancing? real dancing or goth 2-stepping? that makes a big difference when deciding on footwear.

I do a slightly more active goth 2-stepping. But it's still no moonwalk. And since I see plenty of people with military boots or New Rocks I thought this might be a good idea because I really like how this boot looks.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:12 pm

I remember L.L. Cool J rocking a pair of the original (green leather) La Sportiva Trangos.

nartreb

by nartreb » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:46 am

I considered looking for videos of "goth 2-stepping" but decided to stay blisfully ignorant.

Mountaineering boots are generally quite stiff in the sole, with varying degrees of flexibility in the ankle (usually pretty stiff side-to-side but reasonably flexible back-to-front).

Compared to an army boot, they're a lot thicker, heavier, stiffer, hotter, and more expensive. Did I mention hotter? This is an INSULATED boot designed for ice climbing!
Compared to dance shoes, they're like concrete blocks.
Compared to ski boots, they're like dance shoes.

They're fine for general walking, just a little heavy and very warm. Like any full boot you can get blisters if they don't fit well and trench foot if you keep them on too long.

I'd get some comfortable shoes (or some well-broken-in army boots if that's the look you want) and paint them neon green. Well, I wouldn't, but I might if I were the kind of person who wanted to wear neon green shoes.

Electronaut

by Electronaut » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:38 pm

I ordered them and and got them tuesday. I have worn them every evening for about an hour and a half so far. I must say I'm pleasantly surprised. When I unpacked them I said to myself "what have you gotten yourself into" but I can really see this working. First time my toes felt some pressure but after wearing them a couple of times that feels fine.

I ordered them one french size larger and wear them with breathing walking socks and at the moment it's around 20-25 degrees celcius in the evening and they do not feel like little furnaces. I have a little ankle room left and decided to try the ducttape your ankle approach to prevent blistering and that works wonderfully so far.

Have practiced what I normally do on the dancefloor and that goes surprisingly well. Like I said I don't moonwalk or other flashy stuff. I basically step sideways or front or back with heel or toe touching the ground on the beat and wave about with my arms and torso to the melody.

Not this weekend but the next one I have a dancing night when I will be wearing them and I'll keep you posted.

If you have any tips to make them more comfortable or lacing technique or something please post.

Kind regards,
Electronaut.

Return to Gear