Bouldering back pain?

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
Tangeman

Bouldering back pain?

by Tangeman » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:16 am

I finally figured I'd ask about this. So whenever I'm bouldering, I get pain in my lower back afterwords, presumably from sit-starts. Is this normal? I know back pain typically isn't a good thing, maybe I'm just using my muscles wrong? Thanks.

norco17

by norco17 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:29 am

Are you falling a lot? How high up? Crash pad?

Tangeman

by Tangeman » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:59 am

norco17 wrote:Are you falling a lot? How high up? Crash pad?

No, it's not that. I even get it sometimes when I don't fall at all. (or my falls are just landing on my feet).

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:18 am

I'm sure it will get better once you get on some rope! :wink:

nartreb

Re: Bouldering back pain?

by nartreb » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:11 pm

Tangeman wrote:Is this normal?

No.
Tangeman wrote: presumably from sit-starts.

Huh?

Is there something about sit-starts that's painful?? Or do you mean that you don't get pain when you climb on rope, and this is the only thing you can think of that you're doing differently when you boulder?

Tangeman

by Tangeman » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:14 am

nartreb wrote:
Tangeman wrote:Is this normal?

No.
Tangeman wrote: presumably from sit-starts.

Huh?

Is there something about sit-starts that's painful?? Or do you mean that you don't get pain when you climb on rope, and this is the only thing you can think of that you're doing differently when you boulder?

Sort of...
Sit starts just seem like something where you could accidently use the wrong muscles, and hurt your back, like lifting a heavy object.

Dave Dinnell

by Dave Dinnell » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:21 am

It seems to me that, at least when I have tried them, sit starts involve more abdominal effort than other types of bouldering moves.

I'm wondering if maybe you have some uneveness in the muscle groups that are being worked during your training, i.e. your lower back is being neglected somehow.

You might try adding in some variety to the core workouts and stretches you do to work all sides evenly.

Maybe Ksolem will chime in, I think he has this stuff dialed in...

norco17

by norco17 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:00 am

Dave Dinnell wrote:
You might try adding in some variety to the core workouts and stretches you do to work all sides evenly.

+1

Tangeman wrote:

No, it's not that. I even get it sometimes when I don't fall at all. (or my falls are just landing on my feet).
That was more of what I was thinking. You could be compressing discs.

nartreb

by nartreb » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:57 pm

Perhaps off-topic, but I'm amazed that climbing gyms don't teach how to fall properly. Most climbers would benefit from an introductory judo course - falling is usually taught the first day, so you could just take the free sample lesson.

Climber90

by Climber90 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:31 pm

Tangeman:
a while back i had a very similiar problem with my lower back, after seeing a chiropractor and physical therapist, they determined for me at least it was a lack of lower back strengthening. although climbing develops muscle all over the body it seems apparent that its never equal, weve all seen the climbers with HUGE shoulders and arms yet tiny lower body. what was recommended to me was extra stretching, specifically the hamstrings. i also found doing some core cross training like supermans and just about anything that strengthened my lower back helped. the pain and problems left quite fast and very rarely come back.
best of luck!

Joe White

Re:

by Joe White » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:27 pm

norco17 wrote:
Dave Dinnell wrote:

+1

Tangeman wrote:

That was more of what I was thinking. You could be compressing discs.

yes....even short falls landing on your feet, done improperly, has led to back pain for my wife.

ShortTimer

by ShortTimer » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:55 pm

Try stretching your quads in addition. Many times this is all it takes to get rid of lower back pain.

RayMondo

by RayMondo » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:00 pm

Try some basic Yoga after waking and before sleeping - easy stretching, and extensions, without being over-ambitious. Do it progressively over a period of weeks and months and you could be surprised at the benefits. It helps prevent muscle spasm and strengthens muscles and tendons without loading. I've found it a great cure-all and am more flexible at over 50 than when I was 25.
Consuming Tiger Parts Causes Impotence

Scott Wesemann

by Scott Wesemann » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:16 pm

Strengthen your core. I have had similar issues in the past and have spent the last few years doing a lot of weight and core training and my lower back pain has almost completely gone away. You are probably working those muscles a lot more than they are used too, which is causing them to spasm and giving you the pain.

jordansahls

by jordansahls » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:48 pm

Work on your hip mobility and flexibility. Like other have said, stretching your hamstring group is very important. Tight hamstrings cause your pelvis to tilt back, this in turn puts more stress on the muscles that originate on your lumbar spine and insert on your pelvis.

Here is part 1 of a two part series written by Kevin Neeld, a well respected strength coach. He has a wealth of information, take what you want, leave the rest:
http://www.sbcoachescollege.com/article ... ction.html

Also, like others have said it could be very beneficial to strengthen your abdominal muscles.

Here is another article on spine stiffness by Dr. Stuart McGill, the leading expert on all things "spine and back related":
http://www.backfitpro.com/pdf/Enhancing ... ffness.pdf

Also, here is a very informative interview with Dr. McGill that has a ton of information on how to properly stretch your hamstrings and back. The beginning is more geared towards professionals in the field, so skip down a ways to get to the good stuff:
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... ster_spine

Hope this helps!

Return to Technique and Training