Calcium, magnesium or potassium for stiff muscles?

Discussion of medical or rescue topics related to climbing and mountaineering.
lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sun May 30, 2010 1:44 am

Heard that Buko juice (coconut water) is extremely high in Potassium.

Hey .. whatever works !!

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Mon May 31, 2010 11:30 am

What about calcium :?:

Ze

by Ze » Mon May 31, 2010 7:11 pm

Diego Sahagún wrote:I got an x-ray. My phisiotherapist saw the radiographs and said that my muscles are pulling my upper column to the left because of their stiffness

I don't think X-rays show muscle, I wonder how he/she came to that conclusion for sure by just seeing bone alignment...?

Specifically, which muscles was he/she talking about? Cervical or thoracic issues?

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Mon May 31, 2010 10:24 pm

Both, the area between both. Today I've visited him. He is the only person who knows what's happening to my muscles. My left supraspinatus was hard as steel. Now it's better than before the massage

Ze

by Ze » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:40 pm

interesting...the supraspinatus acts between the scapula and humerus, so there is no direct contact with the spinal column...so it is not pulling on the spine. however, i guess if the supraspinatus is tight, then with your upper arm (humerus) in normal positions, your scapula will be abducted and thus stretching muscles on the medial side of the scapula. For example, the trapezius and rhomboids originate on the spine and insert on scapula, so if one of those muscles is also tight (along with supra) then that could pull on the spine. so maybe you should make sure those are loose too?

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:22 pm

He was seeing a chiropracter first and then stopped.

when I say he did nothing, I mean literally, nothing. It got better over time.

are you going to get a MRI? :wink:

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:43 pm

I haven not stopped anything and I'm not going to get a RMI

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:47 pm

Ze wrote:interesting...the supraspinatus acts between the scapula and humerus, so there is no direct contact with the spinal column...so it is not pulling on the spine. however, i guess if the supraspinatus is tight, then with your upper arm (humerus) in normal positions, your scapula will be abducted and thus stretching muscles on the medial side of the scapula. For example, the trapezius and rhomboids originate on the spine and insert on scapula, so if one of those muscles is also tight (along with supra) then that could pull on the spine. so maybe you should make sure those are loose too?

Yep Ze, all upper back muscles were stiff. That's why they pulled the column to the left. The supraspinatus was the hardest muscle the other day. That's all

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:04 am

tigerlilly wrote:He was seeing a chiropracter first and then stopped.

when I say he did nothing, I mean literally, nothing. It got better over time.

are you going to get a MRI? :wink:

I'll probably go to get a MRI but I bet it will be in September or October. Our public health system is so slow.

Thanks for your help tiger

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:18 pm

It helped in our case. If anything, you look at the photo and say, "OHHHH. SO THAT'S WHY it hurts!"

Plus, then we all know your not faking it. 8)

Let us know how it goes -

TL

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:34 pm

Diego Sahagún wrote:Our public health system is so slow.

Don't worry, in a few years it will be faster than ours!

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:36 am

I don't think so Moapa ;)

Thanks again tiger, they'll make the MRI in some weeks, probably after one month. Then I'll inform you what doctors say. I don't think that I have a hernia but I could have something wrong in my column or it could be related to my upper back-below shoulder stiff muscles. The pain in them has increased and I can't sleep well, I'm taking one Myolastan each night. Hopefully my cousin, who is doctor is helping me and prescribed Lyrica, wich is a medicine related to the nervs' pain. It's often real in my forefinger, middle finger, left hand's back and forearm. BTW, I use not to see anything in MRI photos...
Last edited by Diego Sahagún on Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:40 am

Bananas ALWAYS worked for me :

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:58 am

Diego Sahagún wrote:I don't think so Moapa ;)

Thanks again tiger, they'll make the MRI in some weeks, probably after one month. Then I'll inform you what doctors say. I don't think that I have a hernia but I could have something wrong in my column or it could be related to my upper back-below shoulder stiff muscles. The pain in them has increased and I can't sleep well, I'm taking one Myolastan each night. Hopefully my cousin, who is doctor is helping me and prescribed Lyrica, wich is a medicine related to the nervs' pain. It's often real in my forefinger, middle finger, left hand's back and forearm. BTW, I use not to see anything in MRI photos...

The pain to the right and below of my left shoulderblade is strong at night so it awakes me all nights. Today I've put cold and hot below my back and taken half a pil of Myolastan (muscle relaxing). I don't know if I'm doing well by putting cold and hot but I've noticed that the pain in my forearm and hand's back decrease with the first. I think it's not good for me to put cold too many times because the muscles get more stiff. I think that I have no strain because I didn't notice the pain by doing any quick movement and the pain came first in the early 2004. The stiff and pain is in my middle and upper trapezius and in the left rhomboideus. And then passes to my left arm. When I get the RMI we'll see if my column has something wrong. Any recommendation for relieve that middle-upper back and forearm-hand pains :?:

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:03 am

Is it worse if you sit or stand for a long period of time? You sound like your in a fair amount of pain. You may need surgery.... :( But, I'm told that people are far happier after the surgery and they kick themselves for having waited to get it done. There are some good books on back pain at our library. Have you done any reading on this? It might help if you go in to the doctor's office well read.

PreviousNext

Return to Mountain Medicine & Rescue